Recalled/Assigned: Arber Xhekaj Assigned to Laval (Taken Off IR)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
And I think what they're doing now is finding out who they want to move forward with back there and then address an area of need via trade.
Yes they are.
I watched Xhekaj in his last game and he was far more freer with his play than he's been in a while with fewer mistakes.
Exactly what he needs IMO.
As Hughes said in that interview yesterday we want our players to get better at the things we drafted them for in the first place.
That is a complete 180 on the previous regime who took the opposite approach.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So far they haven't shown they can't help develop our younger players.

Then why did you do it by saying it was more Bouchard from a few years ago? I get what you're saying but if this current group has put a few players into the NHL, then they must be doing something right.

Where did I say that? I said they were also developed by Bouchard, which is true.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
The concern with RD is, "Who will play with Hutson?"

If the right side ends up being filled with Reinbacher, Barron and Mailloux, there is problem, even if those aren't necessarily bad Ds.

If you use Reinbacher to shield Hutson, you still should not play them as the first pairing because of Hutson's issues on the D-side of the game.

Something with Guhle-Mailloux, because of Mailloux's issues on the D side of the game.

Barron is no better option to play on the first pairing because of his own issues, defensively.

Ideally, the first pairing should be Guhle - Reinbacher as a shutdown pairing with offensive upside to face-off against the opponents' top lines.

In the system, right now, Engstrom appears to be the best option to shield Hutson, especially since he is a left-handed RHD and can easily adapt to playing the left side as Hutson switches positions in the O-zone while he carries the puck for extended lengths of time.

Still, there are no real guarantees anyone will pan out ideally on the depth chart, or at the NHL level, period.

I believe we have a pairing with Guhle-Reinbacher. At worst, Reinbacher's offensive upside doesn't pan out, but his elite defensive game enables Guhle to take more offensive chances.

Montreal may well end up reaching into the UFA pool to find the ideal pairing partner for Hutson. A defensive 2nd pairing D is neither rare, nor especially expensive on the UFA market. I'm confident that Hughes can entice one to sign for a chance to play alongside Hutson.

That leaves a third pairing of either Xhekaj-Mailloux, Xhekaj- Barron, or Xhekaj-Engstrom, if not Xhekaj-Konyushkin down the line?

Does Montreal use Mailloux, Barron, Engstrom, or Konyushkin as part of a package to land an impact forward?

Any of those third pairings would be good pairings, honestly. Mailloux andBarron both bring offensive upside for a PP wave and both Engstrom and Konyushkin bring shutdown abilities.

All four have good first passes and are, nonetheless, puck-moving Ds.

With a top-four as described above, including a UFA pairing partner for Hutson, I'd sacrifice any of the four potential 3rd pairing Ds, including Mailloux, if it means getting a genuine top-6, impact forward.

I share a lot of you views here. A Guhle/Reinbacher pairing could be fun, but I'm not sure that it would bring the offense needed to be a top pair. I'm incline to think right now that Hutson may be paired with Reibacher on the second pair, and like you suggested Xhekaj and Mailloux on the 3rd. That would leave Guhle on the top pair in a need of a partner.

So, provided Savard, lidstrom and Kova are not in the team long term plan.... that mean that the entire right side of the D is a big "?". I dont know enough about Engstrom and Konyushkin so I can't comment on their chance of becoming that missing piece, but Barron is not that for sure.

Should reinbacher or mailloux also fail to transition to the NHL in a impactful way, that put more stress on that side. That is why I'm a bit more concerns about RD (and they are so f-ing rare to start with!)

JT3

May 27, 2013
I would say I'm surprised by the seeming outrage over a non issue but this being HFHabs, I can't.

I love Xhekaj as much as the next guy, he's a salivating package of tools and charisma, and I think he can be a top 4 defender if groomed properly, but right now he isn't quite there yet defensively. He's coming off an injury where his play was a little iffy prior to that. It's a good opportunity for him to play big minutes in Laval, learn a few things, iron out a few kinks, and in the meantime, management can get a good look at Struble and see what they have there. It's a win-win in my opinion. Xhekaj is competitive enough and has the fire that I'm sure he will harness to force himself back to the NHL.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I would say I'm surprised by the seeming outrage over a non issue but this being HFHabs, I can't.

I love Xhekaj as much as the next guy, he's a salivating package of tools and charisma, and I think he can be a top 4 defender if groomed properly, but right now he isn't quite there yet defensively. He's coming off an injury where his play was a little iffy prior to that. It's a good opportunity for him to play big minutes in Laval, learn a few things, iron out a few kinks, and in the meantime, management can get a good look at Struble and see what they have there. It's a win-win in my opinion. Xhekaj is competitive enough and has the fire that I'm sure he will harness to force himself back to the NHL.

“Seeming” is the operative word. No one’s losing any sleep over this.

I’m not sure that working under Houle is best for his development but at least he’s not sulking and he’s getting top pairing minutes. It would truly be win-win if a better head coach than Houle were at the helm.

Regardless, he’ll be just fine, enjoying his millions and back on luxury flights and high end accommodations in a few weeks.

You want “outrage”? Try a family who can’t make ends meet and have to rely on donations. The imputed hyperbolic reactions are in endless supply here.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They don't even play the same side of the defense.
Not to mention they've tried every Dman we have on the right side and it wasn't pretty. Struble hasn't been tried at this level and I can't remember if he was tired in camp. He played quite a few minutes at RD with Trudeau towards the end of last season and it's safe to say he was the defensive consciousness of that duo. So one option would be to play a Struble/Xhekaj pairing somewhere down the road. Arber needs to learn how to defend and box out players without taking penalties. I'd much prefer he learns to play the PK over Matheson.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
First, let’s not forget record setting man games lost due to injury ! That’s what prompted these players being called up. Secondly, MSL has a midas touch with young players. Look I get your point and I have a renewed faith with HuGo. I do however have issue with some coaching selections both in Laval & the Habs, our pp coach is also a glaring mistake.
The quality of players is more an issue than the coaching staff. Habs don't have a Weber or Markov on the backend during PP.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
I don't know why this sort of thing isn't tried more often in hockey, what would be wrong with helping a young player become more versatile?
Found the clip. Basically its laughable because it is laughable. Guy made little sense. Must hate the guy who suggested it (Lajoie) according to the fat one with sunglasses who didnt sound (and look) too bright either.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't know why this sort of thing isn't tried more often in hockey, what would be wrong with helping a young player become more versatile?

What's the likelihood of any prospect making the NHL? And then the likelihood of that prospect becoming a NHL regular.. and then the likelihood of becoming a top of the line-up player?

Those likelihoods are low.. spending time, practice, etc. that is dedicated to an entirely different position, during key development periods just simply isn't a good idea.

It sounds good in theory but it's just not the right approach.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
X split time between D and as a 4th line forward in his first OHL season but it was more the result of the coach favouring the team’s vets:

“The Rangers were veteran-heavy in Xhekaj’s rookie season. To get ice time, he split the year in the back end and as a fourth-line forward.”

Reactions: Rapala

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

Not a single Habs dmen is "quite there" defensively. I find Harris', Barron's and Matheson's games a lot more atrocious than Xhekaj's. Barron especially. He is an absolute disaster in the defensive zone. But... Barron and Matheson are Kent's boys and Harris is injured. So path of least resistance...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Not a single Habs dmen is "quite there" defensively. I find Harris', Barron's and Matheson's games a lot more atrocious than Xhekaj's. Barron especially. He is an absolute disaster in the defensive zone. But... Barron and Matheson are Kent's boys and Harris is injured. So path of least resistance...
💯 %.
Funny how there are some D who are as bad or worse but they keep getting ice time while one player gets demoted coming off of an injury.

I highly recommend that Xhekaj is called up for the 7 game road trip.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Barron is the only one of those that doesn't have to pass through waivers, like Xhekaj. But Barron plays the right side. If Xhekaj was a righty and Barron a lefty, I think he'd be up and Barron down.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Barron is the only one of those that doesn't have to pass through waivers, like Xhekaj. But Barron plays the right side. If Xhekaj was a righty and Barron a lefty, I think he'd be up and Barron down.
Very good point.

If I were to grade based on eye test who the worse defensive Dman we have and he seems to be regressing it is Justin Barron. I am not sure why MSL has not split up the Barron/Guhle duo but they have been brutal.

Reactions: Kimota and Runner77

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I share a lot of you views here. A Guhle/Reinbacher pairing could be fun, but I'm not sure that it would bring the offense needed to be a top pair. I'm incline to think right now that Hutson may be paired with Reibacher on the second pair, and like you suggested Xhekaj and Mailloux on the 3rd. That would leave Guhle on the top pair in a need of a partner.

So, provided Savard, lidstrom and Kova are not in the team long term plan.... that mean that the entire right side of the D is a big "?". I dont know enough about Engstrom and Konyushkin so I can't comment on their chance of becoming that missing piece, but Barron is not that for sure.

Should reinbacher or mailloux also fail to transition to the NHL in a impactful way, that put more stress on that side. That is why I'm a bit more concerns about RD (and they are so f-ing rare to start with!)
which explains why Hugo drafted Rainmkr

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Well count me in the group that thinks Arber playing some time in the AHL is probably a good thing. This is a character guy that needs work on his game. You think a guy that made the team undrafted doesn't have the fortitude to get through a stint in the AHL?

Competition for spots is good for the culture, we have a ridiculous amount of D prospects and the guys that want it the most will bubble to the top. This group will include Xhekaj, I have no doubt about it, guy is a unicorn and will get better and better, Going to be a fixture on a pretty good D core going forward. The fact he is in the AHL is a great sign of things to come, future for that D is very bright.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad