OT: Anything Goes 41

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
People will have a business doing 50 mil a year and hire Deloitte to implement their ERP. No shit you're going to get Deloitte's D team. You have to pick a consulting agency that aligns with your business size.

I generally find them useful if you know how to use them. A lot of people are dumb as f*** and think hiring them solves all their problems. You know your shit and just need extra hands? Consultants.

You want someone to deliver you an end to end software solution and ALSO build all your business practices? Yeah doesn't f***ing exist.

My best analogy would be you hiring day laborers to work at the railyard and then ask them how you should run the yard. Thats why consultants get a bad name.
Nah man. I've worked for consulting companies. It's almost entirely snake oil sales.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Nah man. I've worked for consulting companies. It's almost entirely snake oil sales.
It’s definitely an overpriced snake oil type business. But there’s still value in it if you pick the right agency to fit your company and you also have rock solid people on your own side. Just my experience though obviously just anecdotal

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I work for an IT consulting company as a sys admin for the corporate environment. We generally do good work for big companies. A lot of things people use day-to-day are things we've planned, designed, and implemented for them. Walgreens app and software(primarily the prescription/pharmacy stuff)? That was us. Also do work for McDonalds, Edward Jones, Home Depot, etc. Consulting companies are fine if you're doing things right. We take on the company's stuff from scratch. We do the project planning/architecture, software development, implementation, and temporary management while the company's staff gets trained up, then we hand it off. Then move on to the next project. We also handle a lot of data analytics and data governance stuff(I believe this is some of our primary work for some companies), and have started to wade into the AI world, also.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I work for an IT consulting company as a sys admin for the corporate environment. We generally do good work for big companies. A lot of things people use day-to-day are things we've planned, designed, and implemented for them. Walgreens app and software(primarily the prescription/pharmacy stuff)? That was us. Also do work for McDonalds, Edward Jones, Home Depot, etc. Consulting companies are fine if you're doing things right. We take on the company's stuff from scratch. We do the project planning/architecture, software development, implementation, and temporary management while the company's staff gets trained up, then we hand it off. Then move on to the next project. We also handle a lot of data analytics and data governance stuff(I believe this is some of our primary work for some companies), and have started to wade into the AI world, also.
The Walgreens pharmacy app is hot f***ing garbage.

• Haha
Reactions: Malaka

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I've never had issues with it and I use it regularly. Convenient to request refills and all that shit. It sometimes updates a little slow. What issues do you see with it? But I didn't design it. Lol. I have nothing to do with the client-facing work.
It'll tell me my script is ready and then I'll go to pick it up and they'll tell me to come back tomorrow because it isn't ready. Multiple Walgreens, multiple times.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I worked on the software that you see that flips the McDonald's drive through and menus at breakfast to lunch. Subway too. Popeyes. Burger King.

Do you like that work?

• Love
Reactions: Pez68

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I worked on the software that you see that flips the McDonald's drive through and menus at breakfast to lunch. Subway too. Popeyes. Burger King.

Do you like that work?
IMG_7936.gif

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Got some white hair in my beard and I'm getting a hearing aid on my 39th birthday.

Aging
I've had some grays in the beard for a year or two now, and it has only increased more and more. Lots of salt and pepper on my chin now. Turning 40 in October. Also had some medical stuff diagnosed late last year. Getting older sucks.

Reactions: Malaka

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If you ever visit Ottawa (where I live),the Capital of Canada,you may soon be greeted by a new sign:

SHAWRMA CAPITAL OF CANADA !

A n Ottawa City councilor has just put a motion before City Council to declare Ottawa as the Shawarna Capital of Canada..

Rightly so...we have so many Shawarma restaurants to choose from here..and probably the best shawarma in Canada ...

Has anyone put a motion before Chicago City Council to declare Chicago the Hot Dog Capital of the U.S.A.? Or nobody thought of it yet?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm of the firm opinion that Illinois should do a lot more to promote autumn-related events as a result of the state apparently being the largest pumpkin producer in the country, tbqh.

Pumpkin capital, baby. Gimme those roasted seeds and jack-o-lanterns and other folks can have pumpkin pies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm of the firm opinion that Illinois should do a lot more to promote autumn-related events as a result of the state apparently being the largest pumpkin producer in the country, tbqh.

Pumpkin capital, baby. Gimme those roasted seeds and jack-o-lanterns and other folks can have pumpkin pies.
IDK about you, but there is a TON of stuff when it comes to fall-related events by me. We go to half a dozen different pumpkin farms or similar places every fall. Love that time of year.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Not that they weren't before, but the last pumpkin patches I've been to were huge money grabs. Much like everything else nowadays, I suppose.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
IDK about you, but there is a TON of stuff when it comes to fall-related events by me. We go to half a dozen different pumpkin farms or similar places every fall. Love that time of year.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that there isn't stuff all over. But Illinois should coordinate and market that much more. Bring in tourism money. People have traveled over a lot less than autumn pleasantries and pumpkin-related stuff.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Man… Akira Toriyama died? DBZ and Chrono Trigger were foundational pieces of entertainment for my teenaged years. Major RIP.
I never put together the artist for Chrono Trigger and DBZ was the same guy but it's pretty clear thinking about it. Wasn't a huge anime guy outside of Gundam as a kid but I adored Chrono Trigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad