Status
Not open for further replies.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Thanks.

Not trying to stir up a debate or anything political whatsoever. Honest question; with so many foreign brands having their manufacturing plants here in the US, does "buying American" matter that much anymore with regard to cars? I may be wrong, but I thought a lot of them have plants here in the US now. If that's true, it would stand to reason that buying those cars is just as good for the US as Americans are the ones working in those plants and employed by them.

While its true that some Foreign company cars are assembled in America, that still benefits the foreign economies overall. American based companies making money keep the company relevant in the marketplace. Sure Toyota and Honda and BMW have some plants open here in America which provide a lot of jobs, but majority of their builds come from overseas. As Hyundai and Toyota continue to grow and "be the best", their market share grows shrinking the market share of primarily American based companies.

Sorry if its not clear. Trying to type on a tablet while watching a movie.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
While its true that some Foreign company cars are assembled in America, that still benefits the foreign economies overall. American based companies making money keep the company relevant in the marketplace. Sure Toyota and Honda and BMW have some plants open here in America which provide a lot of jobs, but majority of their builds come from overseas. As Hyundai and Toyota continue to grow and "be the best", their market share grows shrinking the market share of primarily American based companies.

Sorry if its not clear. Trying to type on a tablet while watching a movie.

Makes sense.

My last car was a Hyundai. Lasted me almost 12 years.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It's an odd 2 way street. Are we better off buying a car made here that supports American jobs, or better off buying an American brand no matter where its made and supporting American innovation?

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
American brand. What would you be better off with. Buying an American brand keeping hundreds of assembly plants open, or buying foreign keeping that assembly plant open.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
American brand. What would you be better off with. Buying an American brand keeping hundreds of assembly plants open, or buying foreign keeping that assembly plant open.
That's awfully short-sighted thinking. Trade is a two-way street.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Increased domestic investment as well.

But, globalization and trade are amazing and I love them. Buy the best car.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
We are leaning towards leasing a new car. Just can't find anything we really like in our price range so we can bump that range up a bit with leasing.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
HomerMattressCar.jpeg

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
Last year my schools basketball team went 36-3 and this year they're 12-11. Couldn't they have waited until I was here to play well :cry:

Nothingman*

A lot of American nameplate cars are assembled in Mexico and Canada. It goes both ways.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
A lot of American nameplate cars are assembled in Mexico and Canada. It goes both ways.

I know. I work for one of the American companies. Majority though are assembled in America. And the money gets back to the American company which keeps them relevant allowing all of the Anerican plants to stay open.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Weather could not be nicer this weekend. 68 and sunny yesterday, and pushing 70 and sunny all day today. :yo:

Need to find something to do outside now...

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Weather could not be nicer this weekend. 68 and sunny yesterday, and pushing 70 and sunny all day today. :yo:

Need to find something to do outside now...

Move your TV outside on your front porch and drink beer during the hockey game like a hillbilly

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Except don't South Korea and Japan put quotas on the number of American cars that can be sold in those countries and we don't?

The US and South Korea signed a free trade agreement in 2007 eliminating quotas on automobile exports. Tariffs from both sides will be eliminated in 2016.

Japan doesn't import enough American cars to even meet the quotas that are in place. The issues are 1. They have (unfairly) tougher standards for imported American cars than on Japanese cars. 2. Currency manipulation keeping demand for American cars low. US trade negotiators don't push on either of these issues because of an agreement to expand the Japanese quota for tariff-free US rice.

Besides, protectionist policies suck. Bad for consumers, and stifles innovation.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Most foreign countries make it extremely difficult to export to them. Extremely expensive and they ship half the shot back because of regulatory issues that only apply to the vehicles they are importing. And I'm talking ridiculous **** that doesn't matter. They make it hell to ship to them.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
ETA on when the Hawks HF homepage is going to be fixed? It's still enlarged for me, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad