OT: Anything Goes 15: Back to school, back to school, to prove to dad that I'm not a fool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Wow, anyone else just get drilled by that storm? I had to wait 30 minutes in the food store until the waterfalls off the roof calmed down enough to let people out. Might be the strongest storm I've ever personally witnessed.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
It's terrible. So terrible.

200.gif

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Can anyone explain why I can do a 20+ mile bike ride with no problems but if go for a run I can barely make it down my block without feeling like I'm going to collapse and die?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Can anyone explain why I can do a 20+ mile bike ride with no problems but if go for a run I can barely make it down my block without feeling like I'm going to collapse and die?

That is quite extreme, but believe me I get that feeling. Lost quite a bit of weight these past two years, can go on very long walks, and biking's a breeze for me, but it's like I'm still 70+ lbs overweight whenever I need to run or even jog.

Nothingman*

My trainer instructed me, to lose weight and get fit quicker, focus on a cardio you do all the time every day. So we started a walking/running program using metabolic testing. I still bike for fun, and after having six months of the program hiking the Tetons and all the high elevation stuff was a breeze.

Maybe Ray has some input on this? But running is hard on me too at times.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Running talk, eh? Just got back from a pretty good 20 mile run this morning. Just barely beat the heat, really started to warm up those last few miles.

Learning to run is a lot more difficult than most would suspect, it's all about pacing yourself. If you're really serious about it the best/easiest way to learn is to buy a heart rate monitor and use that... But most importantly, just get out there.

Atomic, what kind of metabolic testing? Most of that stuff is complete BS, to be honest... assuming you're at a regular gym. You'd have to be at a ridiculous high end lab, that typically deals with professional athletes, to get any true type of metabolic testing done. Anything else is almost always some mechanism to help them sell you on a training package.

Nothingman*

It was just to get a program to keep me in the fat zone. Nothing else. And I wanted to use running instead of cycling. I did it for two times through ramping it up and I can jog lightly now for 5-6 km. it was not to make me a super athlete but to help thin me down and it did do that. That and the weight training. I do both and sometimes both the same day depending on schedule. In the winter there is nothing else to do here so......

I agree with the heart rate monitor. You will be surprised where it is at and it will help you ease into it. Just don't start out like a ***** ape.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm about this close to cutting TV entirely. So freaking sick of Xfinity, it's not even funny.

Nothing like being sold on a change of service after explicitly being told that it wouldn't result in me losing any channels or services, only to find out that it actually resulted in me losing the RedZone channel and that they could only add it if I paid a few extra bucks a month for it.

Really wish that U-Verse TV was available here...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm about this close to cutting TV entirely. So freaking sick of Xfinity, it's not even funny.

Nothing like being sold on a change of service after explicitly being told that it wouldn't result in me losing any channels or services, only to find out that it actually resulted in me losing the RedZone channel and that they could only add it if I paid a few extra bucks a month for it.

Really wish that U-Verse TV was available here...

Cut it out last December when we moved, and don't miss it one bit. Do you know anyone you can borrow Comcast login info from? We snag our in laws, and can get access to the entire On Demand catalog through the Xfinity Xbox 360 app with their login info, to still get access to other shows.

Oh, and since we have Comcast internet you can get a basic cable box for local channels for free. That, + an Apple TV to watch Netflix and Hulu... and we don't miss having cable one bit. Then we can use the in laws info to watch XOD if we are really, really bored.

It was just to get a program to keep me in the fat zone. Nothing else. And I wanted to use running instead of cycling. I did it for two times through ramping it up and I can jog lightly now for 5-6 km. it was not to make me a super athlete but to help thin me down and it did do that. That and the weight training. I do both and sometimes both the same day depending on schedule. In the winter there is nothing else to do here so......

I agree with the heart rate monitor. You will be surprised where it is at and it will help you ease into it. Just don't start out like a ***** ape.

Gotcha.... and you can run or bike in the winter if you really wanted to. ;)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Xfinity crap aside, been catching up on RvB as of late. I apprentely got 4 seasons behind without even realizing it, despite the fact that Achievement Hunter/Let's Play are my two most followed channels besides Game Grumps.

tl;dnr: Monty Oum is amazing, but the writing doesn't seem as cohesive as it once was.

Also, Blue Team > Red Team

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
My knees hurt too much for me to ever be a big runner. I usually do a little over 2 miles when I go running.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
How does one achieve the psychology to like running? Does hypnosis work? Because I can't ever remember liking running, even when I was a kid, and I only engaged in it when it was a requirement of me playing the sports I wanted to play.

I have attempted to get into it at various times in my adult life. When I was in my early 20s I even tried to link up my enthusiasm for alcohol with forcing myself to run but it just never took.

Stuff like bike riding, swimming laps, even using an elliptical rather than running on a treadmill can be fun at the same time its taxing. But running, either outdoors or on a treadmill, just feels about as pleasant as drowning to me.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Went out last night for my birthday at midnight and ended up stealing a trashcan. That was... Odd.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
How does one achieve the psychology to like running? Does hypnosis work? Because I can't ever remember liking running, even when I was a kid, and I only engaged in it when it was a requirement of me playing the sports I wanted to play.

I have attempted to get into it at various times in my adult life. When I was in my early 20s I even tried to link up my enthusiasm for alcohol with forcing myself to run but it just never took.

Stuff like bike riding, swimming laps, even using an elliptical rather than running on a treadmill can be fun at the same time its taxing. But running, either outdoors or on a treadmill, just feels about as pleasant as drowning to me.

I love running, and actually have a 50k coming up in 2 weeks. I find it meditative and the fact that I know that no matter where I go, I can just bring some shorts, shoes, and go off and explore. Some of my best memories are while on the road.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I really wish I liked running. I also have knee issues that I went to PT for this summer actually.
I don't really blame that for not liking to run. It is just really unpleasant.

I will do the elliptical anyday over running.
That being said, I am going to try to get into running here soon >_<

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
And more Xfinity issues.....

Does anybody know any good cable/internet alternatives in Evanston? Going to be doing some comparison shopping in earnest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad