OT: Anything Goes 15: Back to school, back to school, to prove to dad that I'm not a fool

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I actually think Sandler can be a pretty good actor when he's not chasing the $$$$$. He has his moments that make me wish he'd make good movies

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Made it half way into Funny People, didn't laugh once, had no idea what I was watching, and then turned it off. ****ing terrible.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I like Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and Waterboy, but that's about it when it comes to Adam Sandler.

You had me until you said you liked Waterboy. That character just bugged me. I swear for a while Sandler would put out one movie I loved then one I hated then one I loved... like clockwork. Now I mostly ignore him although maybe I should give "Funny People" a whirl based on people I know liking it despite not caring for Sandlers other recent dreck.

Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore will always be faves of mine for sentimental reasons, but I actually think they hold up surprisingly well on their own merits. I also liked Big Daddy at the time it came out (haven't seen it since), The Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates are still watchable to me, Mr. Deeds still makes me laugh, and even Punch-Drunk Love as weird and awkward as that one was, I enjoyed it.

Looking at this list though, I kind of feel like whether I like an Adam Sandler movie may depend more on who is in it with him and what weird cameos happen in the movie, more than what Sandler actually does other than in the case of Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Never saw Click. Previews didn't do anything for me and, as mentioned, I'm just not a fan of Sandler to see a film of his just based on him being involved alone.

But the king of unfunny movies (to get away from Sandler) is Nacho Libre. I stand by my opinion that Napoleon Dynamite is just a random, mostly unfunny mess, but it still gave me a few laughs here and there. Nacho Libre didn't even get a chuckle from me so much as once throughout the entire film, and this is coming from a Jack Black fan.

member 151739

Sandler's best movie is The Wedding Singer. It's not debatable.

His other great movies include Spanglish, Reign Over Me, and Punch-Drunk Love.

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Turned 20 today, yay! Just came back from buying some drinks for my tomorrow's party. Hopefully i don't get too drunk lol.

Elvis P

WNBA fan since 1997
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Which Hawk poster would be the most likely to make a lot of $ on FanDuel? They are weekly salary cap fantasy leagues. One week equals a season so if you get hot for one week you can do well.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I saw this T-Shirt on Amazon and loved it. Too bad I'm in Atlanta where no one would get it :(

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
What bars?

I know of a few good spots by me that have some regular events and **** on Wednesday and Thursday that are fun. Monday and Tuesday seem to be the dead nights, at least for my regular spots. Beginning of the week, I know that's not when Id prefer to go out.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
There's a place called Brother's, which is a college chain bar, and our flagship, Harry's.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Wednesdays in Bloomington were awesome. Brothers had 15 cent wings and dollar High Life bottles, so I'd go there for dinner, then go across the street to Bluebird, the music club, for 15 cent Miller Lite drafts.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Wednesdays in Bloomington were awesome. Brothers had 15 cent wings and dollar High Life bottles, so I'd go there for dinner, then go across the street to Bluebird, the music club, for 15 cent Miller Lite drafts.

25 cent wings and 1.25 High Lifes. #inflation

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Apparently Parks & Rec are filming downtown today. Guy I know posted a pick of Pratt and Aziz, he works in the Tribune building.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Miller High Life is actually decent beer if it's cold enough and out of a bottle. Turns into pisswater the second it's canned.

Meh, Miller's one of the few non-IPAs that I can even stomach. Don't know why, but just have never liked it, and this is coming from a guy that would drink a Bud or a Coors without an issue, so it's not like I'm a beer snob against generic brews here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad