Anyone else think Lou needs to back off with some of his policies?

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
... not resigning these players to the mega contracts they were after is a criticism of Lou?

:huh:

To be fair, Gionta and Gomez had successful seasons after they left the Devils, its just that people were expecting something out of Gomez that he wasn't (a goalscorer). In Gomez's first 3 seasons away from the Devils (playing with Rangers, Habs, Habs) he managed 187 points in 236 games played.

Gionta meanwhile (and hillariously enough he didn't get nearly as much flak as Gomez did) managed 107 points in 170 GP.

Clarkson was by an large a product of Elias and his playing ability, given how much he shot in his good year (second only to Ovechkin) but you could make an argument he let good talent go but obviously there's a lot of variables in there we aren't talking about like Salary Cap, Team Budget, personal feelings, etc.

I trust Lou, he's been a GM for over 20 years at this point and there's never been a bad word to be said about him. For as much complaints people lodge at the Devils keep in mind that's a team that never really had to go through a rebuilding phase during its time under Lou besides Larsson and the year they traded for Schneider. He kept them competitive and even when they arguably should have regressed, he steals Kovalchuk away and gets them back to the Finals.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I believe you are referring to "Exhibit 5 - Performance Bonuses" (Exhibit starts on page 326 of the CBA)?

*** For ELCs there is also signing bonuses and games played bonuses.

Within Exhibit B, there are the Individual B Bonuses on page 328. Matthews could achieve the subsection (iv) Calder (Winner, 2nd and 3rd get bonuses). There is also Goals, Assists, Points, and Points per Game bonuses. Its unlikely he would achieve these, but if he had an outstanding year, I suppose if he placed 10th in any one of those categories, there is money paid out for this.

But, see *** for the most important point.

Calder winner, 2nd and 3rd get bonuses paid by the league of $212.5k, $150k and $100k. However being a Calder finalist is not one of the allowed options for the $2m of Schedule B bonuses. If you look at Exhibit 5.2(a) it lists the allowed trophies for Schedule B bonuses:
- Top 5 in Hart, Richard, Vezina, Norris, or Selke;
- Win the Jennings (including ties);
- Win the Conn Smythe.

Also the 5.2(b) awards can have Schedule B bonuses:
- Top 10 in G/A/P or PPG (42gp min) for skaters
- Top 10 in TOI or ATOI (42gp min) for defensemen
- Top 5 in GAA, Save% or Wins (25 Game Min, 30min+/game) for goalies

And as someone else already covered, the combined compensation for Salary, Signing bonus, and games played bonus cannot exceed the maximum ELC base compensation of $925k. Signing bonus max is 10% of base, and it's common to see the majority of players get that max, even mid and later round draftees.

p.s. apologies for the late reply

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
To answer the thread title: NO I do not think Lou needs to back off any policy that we are aware that he has.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Pretty much the only thing about Lou I really like is the media shutout. The facial hair, numbers, bonuses, etc are all silly in my opinion and have no reason for existing.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Until somebody here is running an NHL team, I think I'll defer to the way Lou does things, whether or not his team rules are bad, good or indifferent his players are getting paid lots-o-cash and if they don't like it they should retire. Why, if somebody said to me I want you to be in peak physical condition, make yourself presentable and shave during the regular season and respect a curfew in exchange for a couple of mill, I'd ask where is it you'd like me to sign. It is a code of discipline and goes with the pleasure of being a pro athlete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad