Anyone else think Lou needs to back off with some of his policies?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The thing that I don't get is how this directly affects the fans.

His policies don't include raising ticket prices (not that he controls that aspect)

He allows facial hair in the playoffs and allowed mustaches in November.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014

His policies don't include raising ticket prices (not that he controls that aspect)

Haha it doesn't. A poster a couple pages back nailed it. So many of the new fans are so used to whining and complaining that they just do it by default now even if there's nothing to whine about.

Trying to make people like that understand is what gives you ulcers. Just laugh and go read something else lol.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

It does directly affect the fans if it affects the players that are willing to sign here, or stay here long term. For example, if Lou pulls his no ELC bonuses on Jimmy Vesey, I don't see why he would turn down 2.7M in bonuses to sign with the Leafs. Plus, I'm sure there's players in the NHL who love their beards, for example: Shea Weber - I don't think I've ever seen him clean shaved.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Today's employees have their own set of standards that applies to how they will conduct themselves in the workplace and that includes today's athletes. Quite frankly, it is tough for me to fathom and certainly no way I would ever think of behaving. I do know that one must tread very carefully for fear of alienating your workers. Considering the inflated egos involved this would apply to some, not all, but some of today's hockey players.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It does directly affect the fans if it affects the players that are willing to sign here, or stay here long term. For example, if Lou pulls his no ELC bonuses on Jimmy Vesey, I don't see why he would turn down 2.7M in bonuses to sign with the Leafs. Plus, I'm sure there's players in the NHL who love their beards, for example: Shea Weber - I don't think I've ever seen him clean shaved.

Very few of these players ever hit the bonuses that LL doesn't like to give out so it's not much of an issue with the vast majority.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Some posters are young
Young people are gullible
Mirtle is an idiot taking advantage of the gullible
Lou said it will be done soon
Shanny said they give out bonuses
No cash though
Direct deposit

Well done sir

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Brian Gionta, Scott Gomez, David Clarkson... Its a long list of stars who have left when they become UFA

... not resigning these players to the mega contracts they were after is a criticism of Lou?

:huh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
... not resigning these players to the mega contracts they were after is a criticism of Lou?

:huh:

apparently so.
especially when you break down that not one of those players (I'd even argue, Parise too) were worth it and the one time he HAD to (Kolvachuck), look how it burned that Organization.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Classy guy running a classy franchise.

I think you can respect where he comes from. Shaving a mustache will not deter free agent signings.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
It's also annoying how it's been a few days and still we don't know the return for Bernier. What is the point of his policy? All it does it create speculation and rumors.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Fans are paying customers deserve to know

And why is that? Why do some of you have that sense of entitlement? Maybe it's a generational thing?

If you're not happy with the product you're supposedly "paying for" there are 29, soon to be 30 other franchises you can support with your hard earned cash.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
To be honest, I don't care for Lou's policies - the clean shaven one especially... but really...who cares? Would it offend me if my boss told me to shave my beard and keep it clean? No... it's not my preference, but big freaking deal.

Lou has his reasons for what he is trying to accomplish here, and if some "archaic" or "outdated" policies are in his arsenal... it's still probably a good thing in the long run.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
To be honest, I don't care for Lou's policies - the clean shaven one especially... but really...who cares? Would it offend me if my boss told me to shave my beard and keep it clean? No... it's not my preference, but big freaking deal.

Lou has his reasons for what he is trying to accomplish here, and if some "archaic" or "outdated" policies are in his arsenal... it's still probably a good thing in the long run.

But we all know here that moustache Komarov is better than clean shaven Komarov so there.;)

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
But we all know here that moustache Komarov is better than clean shaven Komarov so there.;)

personally I think all moustaches, unless accompanied by a beard are pretty damn horrible looking...

but he did pull his off last year pretty well! I'll give him credit there.

Leo just looks crazy in general...with our without a 'stache.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
It's also annoying how it's been a few days and still we don't know the return for Bernier. What is the point of his policy? All it does it create speculation and rumors.

It's a conditional mid-round pick. It changes nothing for anyone to know the absolute final details of a minor move like that.

This stuff is where fan obsession goes from somewhat cute to very sad.

Go outside and enjoy the summer. Nothing changes if/when you get the final details on the blockbuster Bernier trade.

As it is we get the best coverage of any sports team in North American probably. Stop worrying about irrelevant information such as the conditional rounds the Bernier draft pick could be in.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
And why is that? Why do some of you have that sense of entitlement? Maybe it's a generational thing?

If you're not happy with the product you're supposedly "paying for" there are 29, soon to be 30 other franchises you can support with your hard earned cash.

But how else can they give their irrelevant feedback to a minor move if they're not entitled to full details about the move?

Don't you see how hours of time could be spent discussing the important return of a 3rd-7th round pick?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I'm not annoyed, why would anyone be?
Is it that important to know the conditions of a 5th or 6th round pick?

Pretty obvious to anyone who follows that this was part of the earlier deal but the bonus needed to be paid 1st.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Today's employees have their own set of standards that applies to how they will conduct themselves in the workplace and that includes today's athletes. Quite frankly, it is tough for me to fathom and certainly no way I would ever think of behaving. I do know that one must tread very carefully for fear of alienating your workers. Considering the inflated egos involved this would apply to some, not all, but some of today's hockey players.

I think todays employees have a sense of entitlement about them that Lou is hoping his rules help weed out among the kids we're bringing along.

Being willing to adapt to something as minor as shaving regularly might be meaningless to some yet very important in a structured team environment.

I've seen first hand through experience how using seemingly irrelevant rules to keep a team structured helps keep the team functioning as 1 and once people try and fight the system for "individualism" then the team suddenly start to fail because others get too caught up in the message and forget why they're going there in the first place.

Little things like that also help lead to peer accountability which is way more important in the grand scheme of things. A Marner looking out for a Matthews and reminding him to shave or wear a certain colored shirt to help keep them out of trouble goes a long way to help to build camaraderie and helps create an environment that others will want to be a part of as it starts leading to increased success on the ice with a base built off friendship and respect and a little bit of rule following that never hurt anyone.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I'm not annoyed, why would anyone be?
Is it that important to know the conditions of a 5th or 6th round pick?

Pretty obvious to anyone who follows that this was part of the earlier deal but the bonus needed to be paid 1st.

The conditions are more important to the fans then the team.

The fans want to know so they can talk about the potential for drafting a Johnny Gaudreau with that 5th rounder :laugh:

The team doesn't care near as much because A) They realize there's a 5% chance the pick becomes a player and B) There's a higher chance a future asset like that gets flipped in another deal because of A.

To complain about not knowing those things in early July is a sign that people need to step back from the keyboard and go enjoy life. Summers are much too short in Canada to spend them discussing conditional draft picks in minor NHL deals.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The conditions are more important to the fans then the team.

The fans want to know so they can talk about the potential for drafting a Johnny Gaudreau with that 5th rounder :laugh:

The team doesn't care near as much because A) They realize there's a 5% chance the pick becomes a player and B) There's a higher chance a future asset like that gets flipped in another deal because of A.

To complain about not knowing those things in early July is a sign that people need to step back from the keyboard and go enjoy life. Summers are much too short in Canada to spend them discussing conditional draft picks in minor NHL deals.

I hear ya, I'm only here because I'm working. My laptop is off unless I'm making money.

SteelWind

May 15, 2013
I think that Brendan Shanahan's comments last week on Overdrive made it pretty clear that the ELC for Matthews would be signed. Shany said that "we realize that Toronto is not New Jersey".

The implications in that unprompted comment is that Lou will not be permitted to nickel and dime Matthews to the point where the player is alienated and unsigned. New Jersey had to do it to save money. Toronto does not.

Chillax everyone. Shany won't let that happen.

As for Lou, generally, he is sticking to the plan and is man old man who is training Kyle Dubas in the ways of mean old men in the Old Boys Club that is the NHL. I think the training is invaluable.

If Lou remains after the 2017-2018 season, my guess is it won't be for long, but who knows? We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad