Any Chess players in our Emporium?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Starting playing on chess.com a couple weeks ago, hadn't played at all since I was a kid. Trying to get out of the 800s.

Just had a ridiculous game where I massively blundered several times, leading to me being down 21 points in material in the endgame. I managed to weasel my way into a draw by offering up my remaining pawns and marching my king towards his and forcing the stalemate. Felt kind of bad, I really deserved to lose that one, but you have to know how to checkmate.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Starting playing on chess.com a couple weeks ago, hadn't played at all since I was a kid. Trying to get out of the 800s.

Just had a ridiculous game where I massively blundered several times, leading to me being down 21 points in material in the endgame. I managed to weasel my way into a draw by offering up my remaining pawns and marching my king towards his and forcing the stalemate. Felt kind of bad, I really deserved to lose that one, but you have to know how to checkmate.
You’re telling me! I’ve had a lot of games where I’m murdering the other player but can’t finish so it’s a draw or stalemate. Very frustrating indeed

Reactions: Beau Knows

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I'm now finally noticing some serious tactical players as I'm climbing the rankings (1437 at the moment). The games are feeling a lot tighter than before and the players seem to be blundering a lot less. When I check out some of their history, seems like a lot of them were at one point in the 1500-1600 range, so makes sense that the games are getting harder.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Haven't really played too much since high school when I was part of the chess team/club pretty much everyone I know doesn't want to play me after a couple games except one of my closest friends. Usually rely on big strategy games to fill that need. Always play the French Defense on black and white is the typical E4 open.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Anyone familiar with Lichess? I was mainly a chess.com player but now that they are changing their prices and tier lists, I want to make the move. Is there any way to make the premoves show the actual piece and not just the highlighted square like on chess.com? also, can you not make multiple premoves?

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Anyone familiar with Lichess? I was mainly a chess.com player but now that they are changing their prices and tier lists, I want to make the move. Is there any way to make the premoves show the actual piece and not just the highlighted square like on chess.com? also, can you not make multiple premoves?

I feel like the players over at Chess.com seem more competitive. I generally use Lichess as my training grounds and try new things over there, then play the real games at Chess.com.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I am absolutely here for the chess drama. I know Carlsen was already getting sick of chess, but I can't imagine he'd just throw a match unless it was a protest move.
Ya. I'm hoping we are able to hear from Magnus soon. He has to have damning evidence in order for him to be doing this right?

Reactions: Beau Knows

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I know that chess isn't typically exciting, but both of those guys looked bored out of their skulls. :laugh:

Also, it's too bad that it was an online game and he simply ended the call. It would've been epic if hundreds of people had gathered in a hall to watch them play in person and he had simply stood up and walked out while everyone just stared at him.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
'100s of games' makes for a nice headline but in online chess, under those sort of time controls, it's not actually that much. That Hans lied about the extent of the cheating in prize money events is much more damning.

I can't see there being much more to the drama at this point, sadly. Unless somebody involved goes nuclear.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
At first, I thought that this was the Norwegian suing for the winnings that he lost because the American cheated. I'm dumbstruck that it's actually the cheater suing... and not even for something reasonable, but $400M. That just makes me believe that he really did cheat 100s of times because both suggest that he has an entitlement to money that he doesn't deserve.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I almost feel like this kind of drama is good for chess as a whole on a promotional level. Not sure how many people outside of the chess world find it interesting, but I certainly do.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
I don't know what's happened to me this week. I went from 860 down to like 730. Just keep losing game after game after game after game.

Also annoying that just about everyone i'm playing tries to do that "Checkmate in 4 moves" crap. It doesn't work but annoying nontheless
Take a week off, maybe play a very few puzzles. Mental rest is important.
chess.com is the only way to play I’ve tried. Are there other, better ones?
Lichess- you can do an endless amount of puzzles- the complete site is free. The puzzle section is impressive as hell- if you give the puzzle a thumbs down- it will store that puzzle and you can try it again later. also has a 'spider web' graphic that shows how strong you are at various parts of the game.
openings, endgames, skewers, attraction, interposition etc.
FINALLY cracked 1900 in Rapid on chess.com last night.

My peak rating with my chess federation (CFC) during my competitive days was only 1555, so pretty happy with my improvement over the last 11 months :cool:
With the huge boom in popularity, the ratings have changed due to new players. Also- the 'elo' from the sites is not actually paired up with 'over the board elo' from FIDE so there will be differences. example- Lichess elo is a bit easier to get than Chess.com.
Finally hit 1400+ (1406 at the moment) in rapid on chess.com. Thank goodness for King's Indian, I've been playing that opening ever since I went down to 1200 and haven't looked back.

Anyways, I'm noticing that the higher ranked players are easier to beat than the players I was facing in the 1200s, what gives?
New blood has skewed the 'elo' ratings of the site.
Chess.com is so popular the site is having a tough time keeping up.
The growth has been staggering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad