Any Chess players in our Emporium?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I played a lot of chess when I was a kid. I was even in a local tournament with other kids around my age and came in 2nd... to a girl... and not just any girl, but a Russian girl... when the Cold War was still going on. I kind of lost interest in the game shortly after that :laugh:. Every few years since, I play a few games against the computer to try to pick up again, but always lose, even on the easier settings, and give up. So, I'm either awful now or just no good against computers and Russian girls... or both :cry:.

Last edited:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
I played a lot of chess when I was a kid. I was even in a local tournament with other kids and came in 2nd... to a girl... and not just any girl, but a Russian girl... during the Cold War. I lost interest in the game shortly after that :laugh:. Every few years since, I play a few games against the computer, but always lose, even on the easier settings. So, I'm either awful now or just no good against computers and Russian girls... or both :cry:.

The Queen's Gambit must have been pretty triggering for you then

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Actually, I still need to watch that. Come to think of that, maybe that's why I've been putting it off. Hmm...

It's definitely the reason I've been playing so much chess the last two months. I had no idea how big of a thing chess.com is either! I'm still a total noob but the more I play the more i learn and love it. I got myself up to 850-something last night after being stuck under 400 for over a week.

Reactions: Gurn

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's definitely the reason I've been playing so much chess the last two months. I had no idea how big of a thing chess.com is either! I'm still a total noob but the more I play the more i learn and love it. I got myself up to 850-something last night after being stuck under 400 for over a week.

I believe that my dad plays on chess.com. I just played a couple of games there against bots, one at 700, and actually won both, so maybe I'm not as awful nowadays as I thought. I knew that there was something fishy about that Chess Titans game that came with Windows Vista! It must've been cheating to destroy my confidence. I need to be careful, though. That site seems like it could be addictive.

Last edited:

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I don't play that often anymore, but there was a time when I would use a set play (I think it was called the scholars mate) to beat my friends and family in 4 moves.

Reactions: Gurn

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't play that often anymore, but there was a time when I would use a set play (I think it was called the scholars mate) to beat my friends and family in 4 moves.

I usually try for that or a similar early checkmate just to see if I can get away with it, but it's easy to block and almost never works, even against the lowest level bots. It really only works on people who are new to chess, really bad at it or really not paying attention. I'd rather play someone who presents a challenge and is too good for fall for that, but, if pressured into a game, it can be fun to pull that set play just to show off.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't know what's happened to me this week. I went from 860 down to like 730. Just keep losing game after game after game after game.

Also annoying that just about everyone i'm playing tries to do that "Checkmate in 4 moves" crap. It doesn't work but annoying nontheless

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't know what's happened to me this week. I went from 860 down to like 730. Just keep losing game after game after game after game.

Also annoying that just about everyone i'm playing tries to do that "Checkmate in 4 moves" crap. It doesn't work but annoying nontheless
bullet, blitz or rapid?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I played a lot of chess when I was a kid. I was even in a local tournament with other kids around my age and came in 2nd... to a girl... and not just any girl, but a Russian girl... when the Cold War was still going on. I kind of lost interest in the game shortly after that :laugh:. Every few years since, I play a few games against the computer to try to pick up again, but always lose, even on the easier settings, and give up. So, I'm either awful now or just no good against computers and Russian girls... or both :cry:.

Yeah I was always good at chess but haven't played a game since high school, but couldn't beat the old computer AI's.

So computer algorithms 101, there's two components to an AI like this. Looking ahead at what moves can be made, and then analyzing how could each outcome is. The first has well established algorithm and is merely a matter of computing power with the more moves you look ahead the power CPU power/time you need, while the latter analyzing each move is up to the creativity of the human programmer.

Making this type of AI isn't the same as what you would do in most video games, and I could be wrong but what I suspect with these free built in windows chess games is they don't put much effort into varying difficulty. Just keep the same analyzing method for all difficulties, and make it so 'easy' looks 1-2 moves ahead, 'medium'3- 4 moves ahead, and 'hard' 5-6 moves ahead, or something like that.

So I figure that's why those old windows chess games even on 'easy' mode were difficult to beat for your average casual chess player, the real difficult is in making an AI that is 'easy' to play without just being random or stupid.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Download Chess Shredder app for a small fee on the Play store. Or use Droidfish based on the immensely powerful Stockfish chess program. Both have tutor, openings book, tips, teach how to analyze positions.build strategy and prepare for the endgame. As you play against the programs you get indications of the relative strength of both sides. As usual practice makes you better. A lot of it is down to rational thought and spotting patterns.

I used to play in tournaments regularly reaching 180 British Chess Federation as a teenager which is equivalent to candidate master. Played the likes of Michael Adams who was at Truro Grammar School and Harriet Hunt Aylesbury Girls High for the county (Herts).Never really bothered with opening theory in terms of deep analysis and stopped playing a while ago. Perhaps if people are interested a HF Boards chess tournament could be organized on something like chess.com. A round robin with fixed time rules aimed at preventing people from resorting to help.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah I play on chess.com but would be down for a tourney as long as it's not full of gosu masters. I'm not great but I enjoy the game. I've always just played for fun and never really studied the game.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I am recreational player, but I do like to play it. Sometimes I lose against 850, sometimes I beat AI around 1400. Usually play on lichess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad