Waived: Antti Niemi for purposes of buy-out

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Antti Niemi (DAL)

There goes the dream of 30 teams taking Heiskanen and Niemi for a late first.

Edit: TY mod.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
This will likely end his NHL career.

Worst goaltender in Sharks franchise history. Can't believe they wasted 5 seasons using him as a starter.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I wonder if he's Europe-bound.

Can't imagine him getting even getting a backup role at this point. He would have to pull a Budaj if he's still interested in playing in North America.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada

If I was Sakic, I actually would've done this trade, Duchene for Heiskanen and Niemi + a mid-round pick if he can squeeze something like that out. We have the cap space.

Otherwise, I'd wanna do a deal around Honka, a pick, Niemi, and Tyson Barrie.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
If I was Sakic, I actually would've done this trade, Duchene for Heiskanen and Niemi + a mid-round pick if he can squeeze something like that out. We have the cap space.

Otherwise, I'd wanna do a deal around Honka, a pick, Niemi, and Tyson Barrie.

That was sarcasm on my part. People on HF were offering up delusional trade offers, thinking that Niemi's contract was going to kill us & we had no choice but to take it in the shorts to get rid of him. The buyout is exponentially easier.

Not your trade offer, mind you. That is much better than Niemi + 3rd overall for a late 1st like had been suggested.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
This will likely end his NHL career.

Worst goaltender in Sharks franchise history. Can't believe they wasted 5 seasons using him as a starter.

I was ready to jump ship if Niemi returned for a third year with us, I can't imagine 5 years. Bless your heart.

The dude has no style and flops like a fish out of water. Cringing to watch.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sucks but...is what it is. We all knew this was coming.

Surprised it wan Niemi over Lehtonen but all things being equal, I guess it's better to go with the smaller hit.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

My 1st thought as well.

Hopefully he still plays a year or 2 somewhere. Maybe Europe trying to get to Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad