Waived: Antti Niemi for purposes of buy-out

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
"Dallas is going to suck with $15 million in cap space for 3 goalies"

Perhaps those who we have stated 4,598 times to will finally get this through their thick skulls.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Didn't he get nominated for a vezina one year?

yeah the lockout year, only because he had a hot stretch the first couple of months. Not hard to get a vezina nomination when he played like that during a shortened season. Then the playoffs came and he turned back into typical Niemi.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If I was Sakic, I actually would've done this trade, Duchene for Heiskanen and Niemi + a mid-round pick if he can squeeze something like that out. We have the cap space.

Otherwise, I'd wanna do a deal around Honka, a pick, Niemi, and Tyson Barrie.

Neither of these make any sense for Dallas.

I thought buying him out would be the end of these ridiculous proposals.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Chicago seems to have the "bring the band back together" mentality lately. I wonder if they bring him back as Crow's backup?

They got G Anton Forsberg from the Blue Jackets. Also, Chicago is pretty short on cap. I doubt they would bring him back.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Niemi for me is the most akward goalie style-wise i've ever seen. Im not an expert on goalies, but his technique can't be great.

Still can't believe he won the cup, even when i was watching those finals on TV.

Even during the lockout when he had a quick stint in Finland, he looked mediocre... compared to Liiga starters.

Kudos to him for carving out a NHL career though.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
.920, .915, .924, .913 and .914 seasons with the Sharks... I guess Sharks have had it pretty good then :sarcasm:

I think Niemi started declining, when he changed his goaltending style, as advised by the Sharks head coach. Niemi in 2010 was his best form, basically.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
They got G Anton Forsberg from the Blue Jackets. Also, Chicago is pretty short on cap. I doubt they would bring him back.

I completely forgot about them getting Forsberg in that deal. You're right, that takes them out.

Not sure who will take him then. Seems to be a lot of goalies needing homes with not many jobs available.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I completely forgot about them getting Forsberg in that deal. You're right, that takes them out.

Not sure who will take him then. Seems to be a lot of goalies needing homes with not many jobs available.

Islanders? Flyers? Canucks? I am clueless as well.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
He was a goalie that relied very heavily on athleticism and when he got older he started to get progressively worse. Was pretty good when he was at his best.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
You gotta hand it to the Hawks, they made the right choice to bail on him. They almost trapped themselves in another Huet situation.

Hzzz

May 5, 2012
SC-winner, vezina finalist, 227 regular season wins and 36 playoff wins.

Solid career

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
This man won a cup as a starting goaltender.

He had one of the most heavily stacked team of skaters in recent history playing in front of him and only had to out-duel the motley Michael Leighton in order to win that Cup. It was really a battle of which bad goalie can play worse, the one who is not as bad as the other wins the Cup. Niemi was literally the only question mark, the only weakness the 2010 Blackhawks had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad