Speculation: Antti Niemi earning a contract extension

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
Oh no. With all the respect to Niemi, I have zero confidence in him sustaining that form. Give Lindgren the backup job.

Big fan of Lindgren too and love the cap hit of 750k for the next three years. Good to not over spend on a back up. But Niemi is definitely making it hard on Bergevin not to sign him. I think teams are going to be calling about Lindgren, and might be wise to move him in a package deal. Carolina could use a goalie and need a top 6 scoring winger. So there’s a fit for Pacioretty and Lindgren there. Niemi and a cheap deal for a couple of years might not be a bad idea. Especially with all the goalies we have in the pool

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
But Niemi is definitely making it hard on Bergevin not to sign him

not for a competent GM, the Habs suck and need to get younger while they continue to suck. So unless they can convince Price to waive his NMC and some GM that he's worth the contract or kick in 2 or 3M a year, there's no need for Niemi as Lindgren should be the backup to Price next year.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
not for a competent GM, the Habs suck and need to get younger while they continue to suck. So unless they can convince Price to waive his NMC and some GM that he's worth the contract or kick in 2 or 3M a year, there's no need for Niemi as Lindgren should be the backup to Price next year.

If Bergevin really wanted to move Price he could do it before the NMC kicks in. I don’t share the same views as you on the team. I think with a good offseason the club will be competing again next year. They need a centre and could use a top left d. But has a ton of cap, and a lot of picks in the early round of this years draft. Plus most likely a top 5 pick. He’s set up nicely going into the offseason, just has to use it correctly.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If Bergevin really wanted to move Price he could do it before the NMC kicks in. I don’t share the same views as you on the team. I think with a good offseason the club will be competing again next year. They need a centre and could use a top left d. But has a ton of cap, and a lot of picks in the early round of this years draft. Plus most likely a top 5 pick. He’s set up nicely going into the offseason, just has to use it correctly.

it's already kicked in. Unless Price, Pac, Weber, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Lehkonen all bounce back they will suck again next year, but here's to hoping they all bounce back/stay healthy. They need 2 centers since Drouin should be on the wing, where he should have been all year. But this is the same management that let Markov walk, thought it was a good idea to sign Alzner to a 4.625M a year contract, let Rads walk, protected Benn in the expansion draft, etc... I'm sure all will be well next year though.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
it's already kicked in. Unless Price, Pac, Weber, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Lehkonen all bounce back they will suck again next year, but here's to hoping they all bounce back/stay healthy. They need 2 centers since Drouin should be on the wing, where he should have been all year. But this is the same management that let Markov walk, thought it was a good idea to sign Alzner to a 4.625M a year contract, let Rads walk, protected Benn in the expansion draft, etc... I'm sure all will be well next year though.

Yup you’re right I am mistaken Price did have his NMC added to his final year of this contract while negotiating his last deal.

Pacioretty is going to be traded at the draft. I’d almost all but guarantee that. He’s going to bring you one of those 2 centres. Drouin then moves back to the wing. Lehkonen is battling through the sophomore slump but will be back. Galchenyuk honestly has played well in my eyes. Really slow start but playing well since. No reason to think Price can’t bounce back. Weber was playing well especially considering he was injured in game one. With Scherbak and Juulsen locked into next years roster, that brings up some youth. The fat needs to be trimmed. Guys like Benn and Schlemko are of no use to the habs.

The radulov thing is a blessing in disguise in my eyes. Really hurts this year. But the habs would have had to pay him over 8 mill to match what he gets in Dallas because of the taxes. That would have strapped the habs from getting their centre, which they obviously need a lot more than Radulov. Great player, but when you want to talk about getting younger and cap space, that’s not radulov. Markov is greatly missed. But also wanted 2 years, which doesn’t work for what Bergevin wants to use his cap for this summer.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yup you’re right I am mistaken Price did have his NMC added to his final year of this contract while negotiating his last deal.

Pacioretty is going to be traded at the draft. I’d almost all but guarantee that. He’s going to bring you one of those 2 centres. Drouin then moves back to the wing. Lehkonen is battling through the sophomore slump but will be back. Galchenyuk honestly has played well in my eyes. Really slow start but playing well since. No reason to think Price can’t bounce back. Weber was playing well especially considering he was injured in game one. With Scherbak and Juulsen locked into next years roster, that brings up some youth. The fat needs to be trimmed. Guys like Benn and Schlemko are of no use to the habs.

The radulov thing is a blessing in disguise in my eyes. Really hurts this year. But the habs would have had to pay him over 8 mill to match what he gets in Dallas because of the taxes. That would have strapped the habs from getting their centre, which they obviously need a lot more than Radulov. Great player, but when you want to talk about getting younger and cap space, that’s not radulov. Markov is greatly missed. But also wanted 2 years, which doesn’t work for what Bergevin wants to use his cap for this summer.

we'll see what return Pac gets, might be less then some hope, would be shocked if they got a 1st or 2nd line center which is what they badly need.

There's no telling what Price will look like next when he's making 10.5M but his numbers suck compared to Nemi and that's highly troubling at least to some.

Weber can score goals but he's slow as hell and now has a major foot injury so we need to see if he will be even slower. at least he won't be making 12M next year.

Drouin has been a massive disappointment imo, lazy, soft, needs to be much better.

Galchenyuk in 9 more games has 1 less goal and 2 less points then last year while at a team low -29 on the season. Still a far cry from 2 years ago when he had 30g 56 pts. CJ doesn't seem to know what to do with him and he is terrible in his own end.

Scherbak and Juulsen are solid prospects, Scherbak should do well in the NHL as I have been saying but Juulsen should have stayed in the AHL to work on his offensive game which needs a lot of improvement.

Benn and Schlemko are scapegoats, they are bottom pairing D's and don't have much impact on the habs success or failure either way.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Good for him, I’m glad to see he rebounded after a disastrous start to this season. I really wish he had worked out in Pittsburgh as McDavid and Jarry have been wildly inconsistent as of late. Murray is constantly hurt and I think the lack of a decent backup will ultimately cost us the cup this year.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The guy has Stanley Cup pedigree. I'd say something similar to Price's contract would suffice for a former Stanley Cup Champion.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Good for him, I’m glad to see he rebounded after a disastrous start to this season. I really wish he had worked out in Pittsburgh as McDavid and Jarry have been wildly inconsistent as of late. Murray is constantly hurt and I think the lack of a decent backup will ultimately cost us the cup this year.

I can't believe Sullivan hasn't realized that McDavid is a center, not a goalie.

;)

Reactions: Jackets Fan

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
His numbers are so much better than Price's that you'd expect his next contract to be as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad