Speculation: Antti Niemi earning a contract extension

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He's rebounded enough that he won't be in Europe next year but will again be battling for a backup job somewhere.

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
Antti Niemi is, while having had quite bad start to season, still quite capable netminder. Certainly able to be a dependable backup for an aspiring team, maybe earning a million or two per season? Maybe he is not able to stop a puck to Stanley Cup anymore, but backing up a winning goalie for sure!

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
Losing Lindgren on waivers for Niemi is foolish.

You clearly didn’t read it. IF they resign Niemi, they can look to move Charlie. If that’s how they value Niemi. With the prospect pool the habs have, Niemi could sign for a year, 2 tops and then Mcniven could be ready for back up duties.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
Charlie Lindgren is signed to 3 years 750 000 per one way contract .

Montreal Canadiens # 2 goalie is Charlie Lindgren .
That’s stated in the article. Clearly states that Niemi is at least making Bergevin think about offering him a extension and options to move Lindgren if he feels Niemi is the better option to back up price. Habs got a lot of goalie prospects. They can afford to move one

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You clearly didn’t read it. IF they resign Niemi, they can look to move Charlie. If that’s how they value Niemi. With the prospect pool the habs have, Niemi could sign for a year, 2 tops and then Mcniven could be ready for back up duties.

I understand where you’re coming from. We have a goalie locked up to be the starter for a long time and backup goalies are usually not difficult to fill, if not for cheap. But Niemi is going to be 35, a decade older then Lindgren who is in a cost controlled contract for 3 years and won’t cause a log jam in our system? Why are we creating a mess when we already have a backup locked up for one year of Niemi? Lindgren would get a single late pick at this point.

Last edited:

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
That’s stated in the article. Clearly states that Niemi is at least making Bergevin think about offering him a extension and options to move Lindgren if he feels Niemi is the better option to back up price. Habs got a lot of goalie prospects. They can afford to move one
Montreal aren't trading Lindgren

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
I understand where you’re coming from. We have a goalie locked up to be the starter for a long time and backup goalies are usually not difficult to fill, if not for cheap. But Niemi is going to be 35, a decade younger then Lindgren who is in a cost controlled for 3 years and won’t cause a log jam in our system?

Like I said through out the thread, I’m a big fan of Charlie. I love that they are spending less then 1m on a backup especially for 3 years. I’m very comfortable with Lindgren backing up Price. But with the way Niemi is playing, Bergevin at least has to think about it, especially if the right offer comes to him for Lindgren.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Like I said through out the thread, I’m a big fan of Charlie. I love that they are spending less then 1m on a backup especially for 3 years. I’m very comfortable with Lindgren backing up Price. But with the way Niemi is playing, Bergevin at least has to think about it, especially if the right offer comes to him for Lindgren.

He’s playing for his career. There’s no guarantee he doesn’t regress to his Dallas/everyone else days. He creates a problem contract wise. He’s best moving on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad