Speculation: Antti Niemi earning a contract extension

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
They have a goalie who hasn't even started one game of his 8 year 10.5 M deal and they are looking to lock up their backup now too?

As a Leaf fan I endorse this move and hope they extend Bergevin for another decade.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I don't suppose most of you watched last year's painful Star's season, but Niemi went on a couple streaks where he played really well. It just never lasts, and he goes cold for way longer than he stayed hot. The main issue is he plays great once all the pressure to win is off in the Spring, but if he's on the team at the start of the season, well, good luck with that...:sarcasm:

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
Not gonna happen. Habs signed Lindgren to a one-way deal. He's the backup going forward. Niemi may have earned himself a contract elsewhere though.

You’re right. They did sign Lindgren to a one way deal. It doesn’t mean he’s a lock to be the back up though, as there is options to move him. Which I’m sure teams will call about him. If the right deal presents itself, I’m sure Bergevin would be comfortable giving Niemi the extension and moving Lindgren at the right price. Especially with all the goalies in the pool. But you’re right, if not with the Habs, he’ll definitely get a contract somewhere. Good thing for the Habs is they will have a solid back up regardless of which one it ends up being.

Phozzwald

Oct 16, 2007
Newfoundland
They have a goalie who hasn't even started one game of his 8 year 10.5 M deal and they are looking to lock up their backup now too?

As a Leaf fan I endorse this move and hope they extend Bergevin for another decade.

Lock up? I don’t get it? It would be a 1 or 2 year deal if he was signed. If that’s what lock up means then I guess . They have Lindgren “locked up” at 3 years for 750k. But if teams come calling, they could move him if they feel Niemi could handle the back up role on a cheap deal. Bergevin isn’t going to sign him long term for a ton of money, if that’s what you’re implying.

Reactions: habs73

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
You’re right. They did sign Lindgren to a one way deal. It doesn’t mean he’s a lock to be the back up though, as there is options to move him. Which I’m sure teams will call about him. If the right deal presents itself, I’m sure Bergevin would be comfortable giving Niemi the extension and moving Lindgren at the right price. Especially with all the goalies in the pool. But you’re right, if not with the Habs, he’ll definitely get a contract somewhere. Good thing for the Habs is they will have a solid back up regardless of which one it ends up being.
Could they bury his full deal each year? Yes. Will they? I doubt it. I don't believe Lindgren signs that deal without some assurances.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Lock up? I don’t get it? It would be a 1 or 2 year deal if he was signed. If that’s what lock up means then I guess . They have Lindgren “locked up” at 3 years for 750k. But if teams come calling, they could move him if they feel Niemi could handle the back up role on a cheap deal. Bergevin isn’t going to sign him long term for a ton of money, if that’s what you’re implying.

Don't mind the Leaf trolls, they haven't won a playoff round yet and they already have the parade ready. Just waiting for their 1st round playoff exit and the panic move to follow...lol

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Too bad he couldn't do that for the Pens. The skaters were shit while the team played through a brutal schedule to start the season, but he was awful.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Could they bury his full deal each year? Yes. Will they? I doubt it. I don't believe Lindgren signs that deal without some assurances.

If Lindgren can't establish himself at the NHL level, he'll simply be a very well paid AHL goaltender. That's the type of protection he got with this deal.

I don't see how he has any say on how the Habs deal with their other goalkeepers.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not a goalie coach or anything but to me Niemi never looks very good even when he's playing well. He just seems to lack some of the technical ability you expect to see in an NHL goalie? Anyway, his run with the Habs should at least keep him in the NHL another season for whatever team needs a journeyman veteran backup. The way he started the year with all the other teams it was looking more like he would be back to driving a zamboni next year. So good for him for getting back on track. I wonder how much credit the Habs goalie coach deserves in that, he seems to be pretty well-regarded?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Big fan of Lindgren too and love the cap hit of 750k for the next three years. Good to not over spend on a back up. But Niemi is definitely making it hard on Bergevin not to sign him. I think teams are going to be calling about Lindgren, and might be wise to move him in a package deal. Carolina could use a goalie and need a top 6 scoring winger. So there’s a fit for Pacioretty and Lindgren there. Niemi and a cheap deal for a couple of years might not be a bad idea. Especially with all the goalies we have in the pool
And then what? Team would be stuck with three goalies in Montreal as Lindgren cannot be sent down next year without waivers and their is a good chance someone would take him.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Not a goalie coach or anything but to me Niemi never looks very good even when he's playing well. He just seems to lack some of the technical ability you expect to see in an NHL goalie? Anyway, his run with the Habs should at least keep him in the NHL another season for whatever team needs a journeyman veteran backup. The way he started the year with all the other teams it was looking more like he would be back to driving a zamboni next year. So good for him for getting back on track. I wonder how much credit the Habs goalie coach deserves in that, he seems to be pretty well-regarded?

He's definitely a battler type of goalie, but if he's stopping shots then can't complain.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Good for him. Hard to believe just 5 years ago he was in the Vezina conversation ( I think even a finalist? ) Damn things change so fast
I thought he was just gonna fall off the face of the earth after this season, but nice to see him kinda salvage his career. At least for the time being

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Niemi is exactly what he will be going out as he was coming in: A stopgap. Nothing more, nothing less. Something may open up for him someplace else and I got no ill will against the guy but the best he'll find is as a backup and I don't see many teams in that much a need for a backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->