Player Discussion Anton Slepyshev back to the nhl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
I'd like to see the WoWy numbers before deciding that. to my eye Slep has been spot used and not much, and scratched, and buried in the lineup. I can't say he's played badly in any of the games.

Play him with somebody like Draisaitl and I bet the guy could produce again.

I agree. I would PB Strome and/or Caggiula any day before Slepyshev. I don't get it - he's played very well with the limited time he's been given.

Unlike you, however, I believe Khaira has earned himself a spot with Drai and has looked really good since the Habs game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
ftr Slep has 1g 2A in his last 7GP with bit minutes and mostly bottomsix.

How is that bad? He started slowly but my understanding is he was not 100% healthy. He seemed to be turning it around when he was in the lineup.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
From what I'm gathering, this was needed to activate Larsson. Slepyshev is one game away from being waiver-eligible. I'm just getting this through a number of different posts and threads, so I haven't validated it myself.

It's a "business" move - not intended to be indicative of Slepyshev's play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I agree. I would PB Strome and/or Caggiula any day before Slepyshev. I don't get it - he's played very well with the limited time he's been given.

Unlike you, however, I believe Khaira has earned himself a spot with Drai and has looked really good since the Habs game.

Thanks for your feedback. Seeing as you might have a better eye for it if you could let me know what Khaira is doing well on the Drai line either tonight or any other time because I'm not seeing a lot. The Montreal game was before Drai, and imo an outlier game with a couple lucky breaks and bad goaltending by Price. I mean Price gave the Oilers some of those goals.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Personally I think it'd be best for the player and team if Slepy were to spend a few weeks to a month in Bakersfield being a top line winger and getting into a bit of a groove offensively. But as others have said there's also a chance he refuses the assignment and would prefer to go back to the KHL. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I get it's because he's waiver exempt, but I'd rather have Slepyshev over Cagguseless.
The thing is people on this board knew Slepy was close to being waiver exempt and that he could lose the numbers game due to d-men coming back.

So why don't agents and players know this? Why aren't they doing their best to make it tough on the team?

3 points in 7 games just isn't enough to force the team's hand.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Personally I think it'd be best for the player and team if Slepy were to spend a few weeks to a month in Bakersfield being a top line winger and getting into a bit of a groove offensively. But as others have said there's also a chance he refuses the assignment and would prefer to go back to the KHL. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
He can't exactly just refuse to go.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
If this is anything more than a paper transaction, I’d be really surprised.

Slepy is twice the player of strome or drake. If there isn’t a trade made to either make room, or move slepy, and we lose him for nothing to the khl It’ll just re affirm the stupidity of this teams management.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If this is anything more than a paper transaction, I’d be really surprised.

Slepy is twice the player of strome or drake. If there isn’t a trade made to either make room, or move slepy, and we lose him for nothing to the khl It’ll just re affirm the stupidity of this teams management.
I don't get a couple things here.

First there is no way he is twice the player of anyone on this team.

Second, Strome actually has put up some points so I don't get how anyone could think Slepy is better than him.

Finally, if Slepy was so good why hasn't anyone traded for him? He's been on the block for a month now, so you'd think if he was that great that someone would've picked him up.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Slepy is the author of his move to the AHL. It’s easy - produce and you stay. Don’t produce and you’re in thin ice. And because you have an option that’s part of your contract and the CBA, you get optioned. Don’t like it? Great, don’t report and you’re suspended without pay.

If any of Slepy, Caggullia, or any of the other X players not delivering ANYTHING actually grabbed the opportunity, they’d be set. Not one of these guys has grabbed the opportunity. Probably busy all summer reading on TSN and sportsnet about how great they are... or were.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't get a couple things here.

First there is no way he is twice the player of anyone on this team.

Second, Strome actually has put up some points so I don't get how anyone could think Slepy is better than him.

Finally, if Slepy was so good why hasn't anyone traded for him? He's been on the block for a month now, so you'd think if he was that great that someone would've picked him up.

Did you miss the memo?
Strome is the biggest anchor, non-factor and passenger that has ever played in edm. He is the main reason why Drai is not top 10 in the league in scoring. Looking at posts about Strome here reminds me of the mains view on Matthews team mates last season...

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Going to go out on a limb...he goes to Buffalo. I want us to add a pick or two for Girgensons. But he'll ultimately be traded for Hudson Fasching.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Thanks for your feedback. Seeing as you might have a better eye for it if you could let me know what Khaira is doing well on the Drai line either tonight or any other time because I'm not seeing a lot. The Montreal game was before Drai, and imo an outlier game with a couple lucky breaks and bad goaltending by Price. I mean Price gave the Oilers some of those goals.

Agreed on the gimmes by Price, but I think it says something that he was actually able to convert on those plays. Do you think Strome would have been able to convert?

I'll make an effort to note specifics in today's game about his good play...

but the stats line says a lot - 5G4A in 20GP...

In comparison to the other two I mentioned:
* Strome has 4G9A in 33GP (and more average ice-time)
* Caggiula has 4G3A (with more ice-time and a worse +/-)

I understand they aren't great comparators, but at least it shows that Khaira has done more with less time than those other two...

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Hope this is not a long term thing or has any negative ramifications to his game. I agree that Slepy is better than Cagullia at least and based on play deserves a depth roster spot over him.

Maybe this is to just get him more minutes for development and time in between games to rehab? Wishful thinking?

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Did you miss the memo?
Strome is the biggest anchor, non-factor and passenger that has ever played in edm. He is the main reason why Drai is not top 10 in the league in scoring. Looking at posts about Strome here reminds me of the mains view on Matthews team mates last season...

13 points in 33 games... with about 14.5 minutes a night. He's playing with Draisaitl and has 2nd unit PP time.

He's not exactly lighting it up.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
13 points in 33 games... with about 14.5 minutes a night. He's playing with Draisaitl and has 2nd unit PP time.

He's been just about what we expected from him. A 30 point player from the third line. I wouldn't expect Draisaitl to be there all year either.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Id rather see Gryba in Bako however Slepyshev needs to work on his game full time and not sitting. He's had a tough year injury wise and cant get traction to get into the lineup. But I would not be surprised if this was a paper transaction as well.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

2 pts in his last 11 gp or something like that. Before that he was almost .5 pts/GP which is pretty decent considering. No, he is not playing great but he has not been the disaster some are claiming. Strome potted 50 pts in his sophomore year but has struggled since. Imo he is not playing asgood as he should/could but I think he still can bd given the benefit of a doubt.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
2 pts in his last 11 gp or something like that. No, he is not playing great but he has not been the disaster some are claiming. Strome potted 50 pts in his sophomore year but has struggled since. Imo he is not playing asgood as he should/could but I think he still can bd given the benefit of a doubt.
I was starting to come around on Strome, but he's been a ghost for the last 10 games. Needs to be more consistent otherwise people have all the right in the world to crap on him. If you're going to be a streaky player then your hot streaks better be about twice as good or twice as long as Stromes have been this season.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I was starting to come around on Strome, but he's been a ghost for the last 10 games. Needs to be more consistent otherwise people have all the right in the world to crap on him. If you're going to be a streaky player then your hot streaks better be about twice as good or twice as long as Stromes have been this season.
I have no problem with 10-20 game slumps from 3rd liners. He has been bad lately but I don't see the detrimental he has on the lineup in general. We can afford him (and others) struggling from time to time but just because some are critisizing Drai (unfairly imho) lately shouldn't naturally mean crap all you can on his line mates.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So that was your one free wavier exempt piece, what happens when Sekera's back? They're still going to need to waive 1 of Walker, Caggiula, Auvitu, and Gryba.

Are they actually going to keep 9 defenceman on the active roster?

I'm a bigger fan of Slepy than Cags, but I'd still be against trading either them. Neither hold much value, so moving them won't get you much help on the main roster, and I don't like the idea of giving away young and cheap NHL talent for low quality magic beans.

The obvious answer is to move out the older guys, who are seeing a reduced role this year and/or won't be back next year. Looking at you Maroon, Auvitu, Gryba, Cammy, and Letestu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad