Value of: Anthony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I wouldn't take him on the Canes even if the Rangers gave us Kakko for free with him, not even kidding. He's the exact type of person you don't want in your locker room for any reason. There's a reason Tampa moved on from him so easily.

He’s a favorite amongst his peers in the lockerroom. You would know this If you watched Rangers games. But, you don’t, so your opinion on this is as irrelevant as it gets.

Reactions: bl02

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
He’s a favorite amongst his peers in the lockerroom. You would know this If you watched Rangers games. But, you don’t, so your opinion on this is as irrelevant as it gets.

Huh? Are you saying that by watching Rangers games you gain some sort of insider knowledge as to what the players think of each other on a personal level?

No matter what goes on in their heads, I find it unlikely that anyone's going to come right out and say "yeah, hes a giant douche but hes ok at hockey so we put up with him".

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Question:
What would ADA's value be if he deleted his twitter and switched political parties?

A lot higher in the eyes of some Ranger fans (not all). He's allowed to have his own political views without being a locker room 'cancer.' To me, he appears to be one of the most popular guys on the team. He always sticks up for teammates on the ice and often does the 'fan segments' in the locker room. He kind of reminds me a bit of Yandle in that regard. ]

Also, I've never seen one Ranger fan say he'll win a Norris. He did get some Norris votes. I think trading ADA might have to be done at some point due to cap constraints, but it could be a lot like a Zubov situation. I'm not saying he'll be a HOF player, but I could definitely see him as a core piece and leading OFD on a very good team.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Huh? Are you saying that by watching Rangers games you gain some sort of insider knowledge as to what the players think of each other on a personal level?

No matter what goes on in their heads, I find it unlikely that anyone's going to come right out and say "yeah, hes a giant douche but hes ok at hockey so we put up with him".

No, but I think you can get a feel for it to a degree. Players go on his podcast all the time. I've seen a lot of pictures of him out with teammates at weddings and on vacations in the offseason. The Rangers do a decent job with locker room content and you can tell he's an outgoing guy that the players seem to take to. He also sticks up for teammates on the ice. I mentioned it above but he actually reminds me a bit of Yandle personality wise.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

His teammates nominated him as the funniest guy in the lockerroom. Tony’s the guy with the mic interviewing his peers.

The only things I knew about DeAngelo before we acquired him was he was a douche but has some offensive potential. After watching him these last few years, my opinion on him has changed quite a bit.

When Quinn was benching him the previous season, ADA never complained. This guy drops his gloves to stand up for his teammates. He’s sacrificed his body to make key plays on the ice.

DeAngelo has been a very good Ranger and that’s why most of the fanbase loves him.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Wut????

There are very, very few Rangers fans who think this.

Also, no, he's not winning the Norris, and no, we don't want to trade him. We have an overload at his position and he's the most likely to go for contract reasons.

Everything you've said is a mischaracterization.
Im not quite sure how this hyperbole driven pontification thread hasn't been given the lock as a troll thread.

Every word of OP's thread is over the top and indicative of 1% of Rangers posters here, or just as I said, sarcastically over simplified hyperbole.

Reactions: Machinehead

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
A lot higher in the eyes of some Ranger fans (not all). He's allowed to have his own political views without being a locker room 'cancer.' To me, he appears to be one of the most popular guys on the team. He always sticks up for teammates on the ice and often does the 'fan segments' in the locker room. He kind of reminds me a bit of Yandle in that regard. ]

Also, I've never seen one Ranger fan say he'll win a Norris. He did get some Norris votes. I think trading ADA might have to be done at some point due to cap constraints, but it could be a lot like a Zubov situation. I'm not saying he'll be a HOF player, but I could definitely see him as a core piece and leading OFD on a very good team.

The fact the the team had to shut down his social media account is not a good look. Furthermore he will not do interviews or the team is keeping him away from site like the Athletic or the Hockey News says something.

Look I am a Canadian who’s views are to left and I guess sports and politics should be separate but given the climate in the US some of the comments made are pretty inflammatory and I would find offensive and not appropriate if I was running a company. The notion that the media and the entire nation isn’t concerned about the skyrocketing COVID cases because of a highly contested Presidential race is just disingenuous and totally out of touch with reality. The cases aren’t going anywhere but up and that is directly tied to the administrations poor handling of the situation. In Toronto and Ontario’s cases are mounting too but we generally adhere to the science. It’s been an absolute failure from the President and his politicizing the science on how to protect one another.

Great player, poor political views and social media savvy. Interesting to see where the team goes.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

If that's true it really doesn't bode well for the rags. Enjoy having the best team in the league on paper every year but not winning a cup.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If that's true it really doesn't bode well for the rags.

Why?

Enjoy having the best team in the league on paper every year but not winning a cup.

What does this have to do with DeAngelo’s perceived reputation in the lockerroom? :laugh:

And when was the last time the Rangers had the best team on paper?!?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The fact the the team had to shut down his social media account is not a good look. Furthermore he will not do interviews or the team is keeping him away from site like the Athletic or the Hockey News says something.

Look I am a Canadian who’s views are to left and I guess sports and politics should be separate but given the climate in the US some of the comments made are pretty inflammatory and I would find offensive and not appropriate if I was running a company. The notion that the media and the entire nation isn’t concerned about the skyrocketing COVID cases because of a highly contested Presidential race is just disingenuous and totally out of touch with reality. The cases aren’t going anywhere but up and that is directly tied to the administrations poor handling of the situation. In Toronto and Ontario’s cases are mounting too but we generally adhere to the science. It’s been an absolute failure from the President and his politicizing the science on how to protect one another.

Great player, poor political views and social media savvy. Interesting to see where the team goes.

His social media account is up right now. Might've been temporarily deactivated while the team spoke with him. It wasn't for more than a day or two, and yet you still have people repeating nonsense above like he was suspended from twitter. Where's the evidence that he won't do interviews? I'll save you the time. There's not. A lot of false information is being repeated by partisans who don't like DeAngelo because of his political views. It's not only fans of opposing teams. There are Rangers fans who are trying to divide the whole fanbase by trying to separate the more liberal and more conservatives members of the team into good and bad categories.

You are certainly allowed to think what you want about his political views. I don't think DeAngelo or those with his political views will agree with what you're suggesting, but I think they support your right to voice that opinion. What I don't understand why DeAngelo isn't allowed to give political views, but liberal athletes and liberals, in general, are allowed to voice all the partisan political viewpoints that they want, like you have done here, like DeAngelo's teammate Trouba did yesterday, like we saw many times throughout the season within the NHL and other sports leagues. Why wasn't any of that a problem? Did the Lakers speak with Lebron James about his tweets?

I don't expect you or anyone who disagrees with DeAngelo's political viewpoints to agree with his statements, but you should at least be supporting his right to say these things, and you should be wondering why any of this is an issue for anyone. If it's an issue, it's a double standard, so we should all agree its not an issue. I also have a big problem with the increasing group of people who believe that they should root for or against players on their favorite team more or less due to their political views. To me, thats a few steps too far.

And it's a step too far when we see five or more people every DeAngelo thread say they don't want him on their team due to non-hockey related reasons. We all know it has to do with political viewpoints, disagreeing with DeAngelo's views. Fans need to be able to separate their own political views from their sporting rooting interests. It's unhealthy not to.

Reactions: go4hockey

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
His social media account is up right now. Might've been temporarily deactivated while the team spoke with him. It wasn't for more than a day or two, and yet you still have people repeating nonsense above like he was suspended from twitter. Where's the evidence that he won't do interviews? I'll save you the time. There's not. A lot of false information is being repeated by partisans who don't like DeAngelo because of his political views. It's not only fans of opposing teams. There are Rangers fans who are trying to divide the whole fanbase by trying to separate the more liberal and more conservatives members of the team into good and bad categories.

You are certainly allowed to think what you want about his political views. I don't think DeAngelo or those with his political views will agree with what you're suggesting, but I think they support your right to voice that opinion. What I don't understand why DeAngelo isn't allowed to give political views, but liberal athletes and liberals, in general, are allowed to voice all the partisan political viewpoints that they want, like you have done here, like DeAngelo's teammate Trouba did yesterday, like we saw many times throughout the season within the NHL and other sports leagues. Why wasn't any of that a problem? Did the Lakers speak with Lebron James about his tweets?

I don't expect you or anyone who disagrees with DeAngelo's political viewpoints to agree with his statements, but you should at least be supporting his right to say these things, and you should be wondering why any of this is an issue for anyone. If it's an issue, it's a double standard, so we should all agree its not an issue. I also have a big problem with the increasing group of people who believe that they should root for or against players on their favorite team more or less due to their political views. To me, thats a few steps too far.

And it's a step too far when we see five or more people every DeAngelo thread say they don't want him on their team due to non-hockey related reasons. We all know it has to do with political viewpoints, disagreeing with DeAngelo's views. Fans need to be able to separate their own political views from their sporting rooting interests. It's unhealthy not to.

"Covid is a hoax made up to make Trump look bad" isn't an opinion. No one should be OK with him expressing that kind of gross misinformation about a virus that's killed hundreds of thousand of people already. It's beyond shockingly stupid---it's dangerous.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

It makes the team look cowardly certainly and if I held right wing views I wouldn't exactly be running to do interviews with those outlets either

He's allowed his opinion, if you don't like it don't read it and I'm willing to bet you weren't against the political stance the NBA and it's players took, the hypocrisy surrounding sports-people voicing political views is beyond parody at this point

COVID cases have gone up in Europe, Canada and the US so your "science" seems like it means very little and it's been extremely noticeable the media is selective about how it's covered in regards to political affiliation

Good player, entitled to his political views, the team sucks for not standing up for his right to speak his mind politically

Reactions: bl02

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
It makes the team look cowardly certainly and if I held right wing views I wouldn't exactly be running to do interviews with those outlets either

He's allowed his opinion, if you don't like it don't read it and I'm willing to bet you weren't against the political stance the NBA and it's players took, the hypocrisy surrounding sports-people voicing political views is beyond parody at this point

COVID cases have gone up in Europe, Canada and the US so your "science" seems like it means very little and it's been extremely noticeable the media is selective about how it's covered in regards to political affiliation

Good player, entitled to his political views, the team sucks for not standing up for his right to speak his mind politically
The fact that they have gone up doesn't mean that the science means very little what a joke of a post. It means that its a tough virus that is hard to contain. And they have gone up because of the 2nd wave (as expected by scientists and doctors), but nowhere in the western world have they gone up as much as in the U.S. due to the incompetent administration.

If you look at countries in Asia like Japan and Korea or European countries that actually followed the science and had strict protocols based on it, they have handled it way better than the U.S.

Reactions: Makar27

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
"Covid is a hoax made up to make Trump look bad" isn't an opinion. No one should be OK with him expressing that kind of gross misinformation about a virus that's killed hundreds of thousand of people already. It's beyond shockingly stupid---it's dangerous.
Exactly. Criticizing Deangelo for saying Covid is a hoax isn't criticizing him for his political opinion, its criticizing him for being a moron.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

That wasn't what he said. This is what he said.

With all due respect, what you said is how you view it after you put your own political spin onto it. I'm sure DeAngelo would explain it as COVID has been over-sensationalized due to the election, and now that there's an actual election/its aftermath to talk about, and political campaigning for the election doesn't matter anymore, it'll be discussed much less. That is not exactly an unpopular opinion of people with his political leaning.

I'm sorry, but we need to be consistent here. If its okay for athletes to express popular left-wing viewpoints on social media, it's equally okay for athletes to express popular right-wing viewpoints. Our own personal views about whether the opinions are misinformation, true, factual, dangerous, crazy, should not be guiding how we react to this. The fact that there's such a reaction to this, but not viewpoints from the other side, shows that there's a general double-standard on social media with media and fans for athletes who express viewpoints that lean similarly to DeAngelo's viewpoints.

Reactions: go4hockey

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Trouba may be better. We'll have to see Trouba play better than DeAngelo because last year DeAngelo was probably the better of the two players. However, when you consider contracts, I don't know how its even close. DeAngelo has way more value right now. We don't need your spare parts. If you want DeAngelo, you are going to need to offer up a center like Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, or Danault for the discussion to get started.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
You forgot the :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad