Value of: Anthony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
What would your team give up for ADA?

Some Rangers fans say he's going to win a Norris. Almost all of them are adamant they don't want to trade him even though they keep throwing his name into trade proposals, especially to teams that don't need him. They also deny that he has any negative character traits.

He's been suspended for extended periods in juniors (for using slurs against a teammate and abusing an official), and during his first season in the NHL (for abusing an official). He's 24 and he's been traded three times.

He's signed for two more years at $4.8 million/year, and he'll be an RFA for one more year when his contract ends.

What's your offer?

Here are his stats:

SeasonAgeTmLgGPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWEVPPSHSS%TSATOIATOIFOWFOLFO%BLKHITTKGV
2016-1721ARINHL395914-13373201360608.311166717:06004831422
2017-1822NYRNHL32088-18110000260680.010753016:3410100.04231629
2018-1923NYRNHL61426306774000161001113.6207117919:200082542174
2019-2024NYRNHL681538531247123032216014910.1266131219:170057481665
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They also deny that he has any negative character traits.
Wut????

There are very, very few Rangers fans who think this.

Also, no, he's not winning the Norris, and no, we don't want to trade him. We have an overload at his position and he's the most likely to go for contract reasons.

Everything you've said is a mischaracterization.

Last edited by a moderator:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wut????

There are very, very few Rangers fans who think this.

Also, no, he's not winning the Norris, and no, we don't want to trade him. We have an overload at his position and he's the most likely to go for contract reasons.

Everything you've said is a mischaracterization.
No, his history of idiocy seems to go back further than that according to you know, facts.

His tweet about Covid.
A history of not being able to playing nice
This isn’t the first time Tony DeAngelo’s name has been thrown around in a controversial fashion. Back in February of 2014, when he was playing for the OHL’s Sarnia Sting, DeAngelo was handed an eight game suspension when he was found guilty of violating the OHL’s harassment, abuse and diversity policy. The suspension came after DeAngelo was accused of using offensive slurs toward one of his teammates, and it wasn’t the first time that the teenager was in trouble for violating the OHL’s harassment policy.
DeAngelo was also involved in two more incidents when he was suspended one game for the abuse of an OHL official, and then during the 2016-17 NHL season he was suspended for three games due to a similar incident involving another official. DeAngelo was a member of the Arizona Coyotes at the time.
Tony DeAngelo might have landed himself in hot water

Top bloke. Makes sense he was someone the Coyotes first traded for, they like that sort. It's alright, he was just 18, then you know...those other incidents after, obviously not character issues at all, mate.

And while it is DeAngelo’s 2nd suspension of the year for also violating the Abuse/Diversity Policy, this time it comes with comments directed towards a teammate.
According to Paul Krotz, the OHL’s Manager of Media and Information services, the league’s Abuse/Diversity Policy has been in place for over 20 years, and in that time, DeAngelo’s suspension is the first involving two teammates.
OHL announces disciplinary action for DeAngelo

Those clouds parted on Friday, when the Ontario Hockey League announced they had suspended the native of Sewell, N.J., eight games for violating the league’s harrassment, abuse and diversity policy. It's the second time this season the 18-year-old has been suspended for contravening the rule which attempts to keep homophobic, racist, sexist, and the other derogatory language used by small minds – out of the game.

The minimum suspension for this infraction is five games. Recently, Windsor’s Steven Janes was suspended five games under the same policy. In Janes’ case it was something offensive said to an opponent during a game.

In DeAngelo’s case, what he said was directed at a teammate. The team is tightlipped about what was said and to whom, but it was bad enough for Letowski to take action without waiting for the league to intervene.

“Internally as an organization we made the decision,” said Letowski, a former NHLer and graduate of the Sting. “It was obviously a serious matter. Any time it involves one of our players there has to be a certain respect level. We respect all of our players and it was pretty serious.
“We handled it internally for the first day and then we felt it was important that the league became involved … we completely support the league’s decision.”
Sarnia's Anthony DeAngelo suspended for slur directed at teammate

And this one is an interesting read - The Rangers Have a Tony DeAngelo Problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Riseonfire

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
ADA has always been his own worst enemy. Love the talent, hate the attitude. I live in fear he is going to blow himself and the Rangers up saying something or doing something incredibly stupid. I hope with age comes maturity, however, in ADA's case it's a slow process that may not complete itself for years down the line.

Since he has the talent and produces, there will always be a team out there willing to take a chance on the guy if they think he can help them win.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
A very good promising player however his attitude and his tongue are what will destroy his career.

Not sure he’s worthy of the “cancer” tag but is he really someone you’d want around your team?

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I don't understand this guy. He seems to be playing chicken while driving his career into a truck carrying 40 wood logs.
I remember good times when Ducks should've apparently paid Zegras or 6OA for him.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No, his history of idiocy seems to go back further than that according to you know, facts.

His tweet about Covid.

Top bloke. Makes sense he was someone the Coyotes first traded for, they like that sort. It's alright, he was just 18, then you know...those other incidents after, obviously not character issues at all, mate.

Sounds like we agree then.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019

Some Rangers fans say he's going to win a Norris. Almost all of them are adamant they don't want to trade him even though they keep throwing his name into trade proposals, especially to teams that don't need him. They also deny that he has any negative character traits.

He's been suspended for extended periods in juniors (for using slurs against a teammate and abusing an official), and during his first season in the NHL (for abusing an official). He's 24 and he's been traded three times.

He's signed for two more years at $4.8 million/year, and he'll be an RFA for one more year when his contract ends.

What's your offer?

Here are his stats:

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

What's your offer?

Here are his stats:

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I haven't heard one Rangers fan said he will win the Norris so stop lying. Second, it's HF where all Rangers players are valued like garbage. Thus why I feel most of our fan base ignores other fans opinions.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
I wouldn't take him off waivers regardless of how desperate the Leafs have been for talented D over the past several years.

He's just not a player I want to cheer for or see succeed.... sorry.

Reactions: Tritsche

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Nylander + Sandin
For
ADA + Buchnevich

Tho Leafs fans have resisted ADA add for past season or two despite Tony getting progressively better, and during that time having a critical need for a top RD.

They have resisted dealing Nylander, rolling w/essentially status quo during this time and we see what that has gotten them being so top heavy.

While opinions differ, I believe the variant of your equation that had consensus as to fair value, nothwithstanding if it is otherwise a fit or the best use of Nylander in trade capital or the best return for ADA, was

Nylander /+
for
Deangelo + Buchnevich + correct smaller add

"correct smaller add" has meant Georgiev
or
a measured sweetener.
For example, in the last draft prior to TOR getting a pick, this could have been CAR 2020 (NY held, 20OA) for TOR 2021 + conditional add, based on how that 2021 pick is slotted.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
coupla dings....

It is crazy to declare he is a Norris now, or even a Norris just waiting to happen. I do not remember even the most ardent ADA advocate going there. And if anyone did, it is a mere one or two.

It is also lunacy to disregard or not recognize the talent this kid has. All things =, there are other NHL Ds who project higher so I don't see Norris as real for him, even if he crushes it and breaks his own ceiling. However, Norris is only a grand title in a vacuum. He still on the ice is a pretty good D, righty shot more valuable but can also play LD.
I am comfortable with saying his actual trend approximates him emerging with a comparison I believe @One Winged Angel said, potentially "Zubov 2.0".
{Apologies in advance OWA, if the old man is misremembering that one.}

Opinions noted above in this thread as to off ice conduct is not enough to defeat a team's need for talent from adding him, due to his exercising his right to free speech. You hope that he, like you wish for everyone, has an open mind and will (live and) learn on the broad discourse of political philosophy and its application.
Mods pls note that is not partisan and does not cross a line.

Indeed, a whole group of what may be viewed as traditional Republican leaders established 'The Lincoln Project' to, in their words, "defeat Trump and Trumpism" . (see pg 1 of their website)
Mods pls note that being Repub on Repub is still not partisan and not crossing a line, and is a statement of objective fact, a journalistic exercise, and hence not an invitation to political debate.

Regardless of what any of us learns or does not learn, including from the last US election, any team acquiring Deangelo [whom Rangers have to move not immediately but at some pt pref sooner than later due to impending cap balance and roster mgmt issues] is getting him cheap salary wise for the next 2 seasons. Shortly after that he is ufa, and market will decide. If a club is uncomfortable with a long term offer, regardless of if the $ lines up, they can do repeating, consecutive 1 yr offers.

So bottom line is as long as talent and value outweighs other considerations, there will be takers for his services, and bidders to NYR for his contract. Gorton only needs one decently sufficient offer w/a need to make space for Nils L once he is done in Europe, and Schneider the next or following year.

What those offers should be is discussion for other posts.

Evergreen

Putting DeAngelo's character issues aside, I think he's massively overrated by Rangers fans. In the games I've watched, he takes stupid penalties at bad times of the game and his defensive abilities leave a lot to be desired. One the plus side, he's offensively talented and right-handed, so he could have value. I would note that his S% was way outside the usual range for a defenseman and I think his goal total from this year will be seen as an outlier when we look back at his career, so I think he cashed in on a season he won't reproduce.

Ultimately, I just don't see teams wanting to take on the headache that he brings.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think his office issues will make him undesirable for many teams.

NHL is a conservative league that is weary of its image, moreso than most of professional leagues.

I don't think he gets moved for "fair value". Probably better keep him and trade another RHD if the Rangers are able to manage the PR side of things.

Fox/Lundqvist would bring back a lot.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland

His tweet about Covid.

Nice!

Just like every other fan who has a problem with ADA, bring up the same stories from nearly 7 years ago when he was still a kid.

People who keep bringing up issues about his character need to actually provide some modern facts where he has not learned from his mistakes. He has had no issues character wise since he has been with the Rangers at all.

People choose not to like ADA because of he is an open and proud Trump supporter. He is a massive locker room presence with NYR and gets on extremely well with most/all players on the team.

Just because people dont agree with his political views or support a different political party doesnt make ADA a bad guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad