Celebrity Death: Anthony Bourdain

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Just great at what he did. He changed the game when it came to travel TV shows. Definitely was influenced by his open-minded worldview as a teenager. I have been a fan since his Food Network days. I am legit bummed today.

Reactions: G F O P and Suxnet

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I try not to get too bummed out by celebrity deaths but this one sucks! We lost a teacher today. Someone who was showing regular people to get out of their comfort zone & experiment with different food & cultures. We are worse off without Anthony
RIP

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
No Reservations was literally the first and only show in that vein that I liked. Really liked, in fact. Testament to the man's talent and personality. He'll be missed.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I'm generally disconnected with famous people's deaths but this one rather hurts. I truly loved his shows and liked him as a person (or at least the persona we saw on TV). For a rich celebrity (whom in general I don't care much about) I loved his rather open and raw personality. I'll miss seeing his shows. RIP

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Dammit WHY?!?! Have been watching him for so many years and really enjoyed his shows and he seemed to be a decent genuine guy. Great job, had a kid and a girlfriend. Seemed to have it all and then suddenly offs himself? I don't get it. :( :(
Of course you don’t because you obviously don’t suffer from depression. In the grand scheme of things, none of that really matters when it comes to depression.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Hard to put into words how much this stings.

He'll forever be associated with food, but he transcended that genre. Bourdain could narrate a documentary about zinc processing methods and I'd watch with rapt attention. The ultimate raconteur with an innate ability to tap into any and every universal human experience.

RIP Tony.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Hard to put into words how much this stings.

He'll forever be associated with food, but he transcended that genre. Bourdain could narrate a documentary about zinc processing methods and I'd watch with rapt attention. The ultimate raconteur with an innate ability to tap into any and every universal human experience.

RIP Tony.

Exactly.
He was a great story teller. I loved his shows . Not for the food but for the exposure to different cultures and his telling of it all.

RIP...

Reactions: tonyhawks77

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't know how I missed this all day being on the internet until just now.

Absolutely crushing. RIP.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I had the chance to cross paths with him back when he was doing signings for "Bone in the Throat" back in '95. My boss was a huge fan of his because Las Hellas was her favorite restaurant and he was the head chef there. I enjoyed how he attempted to bridge sense of place and food to show the similarities across humanity in his travel shows and later writing. He made for a great story-teller and his personal demons gave him a certain quality to his work that was both jaded and approachable, cutting and warm. I regret that I will no longer have the chance to cross paths with him in this life again.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Guys wanted to be him and girls wanted to be with him. Whatever "it" is, he had it.

And a good man as well.

The Critic Whose Olive Garden Review Went Viral Remembers How Anthony Bourdain Spoke Up For Her

Anthony Bourdain spoke up for me at a time when people all over the country were making great fun of the column I write," Hagerty told BuzzFeed News. "To have a man of his stature rise up and befriend me, it meant a lot to me."

Bourdain had also laughed when he first read the review, but dropped the snark when he realized how her columns represented her community, she said.

"He told me he felt the same way when he first read it, but that he changed his way of thinking," she said. "He decided I was writing about food in America and the way people eat in the middle of the country."

Reactions: Chainshot

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
So sad
I am a fan of his shows on CNN
I’m so unlike Tony because I eat the same food and travel to same destinations
He was such a good story teller and it was refreshing to explore food and cultures outside my comfort zone through his eyes

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00