Proposal: Another Price Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
30 year old goalie for #2 overall and a good, young goalie that has the potential to be like Price in a few years? Nope.

"The potential is to be like"...well, a lot of prospects have the potential to be like perennial all-stars. The overwhelming majority fall well short. I know Philly's had a lot of goalie prospects that had "the potential to be" stars too. Hasn't turned out so well.

Sure, Price is 30. So is Giroux. Voracek's turning 29 in a few months. If I were a Philly fan, I'd want the team to try to win something with players of that calibre instead of wasting year after year by annually rolling the dice at a key position and coming up short.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
"The potential is to be like"...well, a lot of prospects have the potential to be like perennial all-stars. The overwhelming majority fall well short. I know Philly's had a lot of goalie prospects that had "the potential to be" stars too. Hasn't turned out so well.

Sure, Price is 30. So is Giroux. Voracek's turning 29 in a few months. If I were a Philly fan, I'd want the team to try to win something with players of that calibre instead of wasting year after year by annually rolling the dice at a key position and coming up short.
Hextall has been rebuilding thru the draft and getting out of Homer's mess. They aren't in win now mode and selling the future for now. I'd say Price has more risk than the guys going the other way.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hextall has been rebuilding thru the draft and getting out of Homer's mess. They aren't in win now mode and selling the future for now. I'd say Price has more risk than the guys going the other way.

Out of curiosity, how would Philly fans feel if the Giroux/Voracek era ended without the team winning anything? I think that going with question marks in net year after year has been their biggest obstacle.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Out of curiosity, how would Philly fans feel if the Giroux/Voracek era ended without the team winning anything? I think that going with question marks in net year after year has been their biggest obstacle.
Same way we felt about Legion of Doom, Richards/Carter, Propp, Hextall, Howe, and more... doesn’t mean that it won’t happen.

Flyers have really always lacked a drafted franchise player... mainly since they’ve never drafted #1 overall and really haven’t been bad in a strong draft class year.

With the rookies we have coming up- I don’t want to sell them to maybe get something with G and Voracek. I would rather sell G and Voracek for that young franchise-like guy who can help build the new players.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
To Philly: Price and Danault

To Montreal: Patrick, Lehtera, Elliott, and Hart

Was talking to a Philly fan and suggested they just needed to finally stop ****ing around in net and get the best goalie in the world (yeah yeah, down year or not). Montreal needs to get out from under their big vet deals and rebuild because they're not going to compete with their present core.

This helps both teams: Montreal gets a promising young C and G to start off the rebuild and Philly definitively addresses their perpetual goalie problems and gets arguably the better center at present to slot in for Patrick. Elliott and Lehtera are pure cap dumps for Philly and seat fillers for Montreal.

I wouldn't trade anything for Price, not even just Lehtera & Elliott, because of that abomination of a contract that hasn't even started yet.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Giroux I'd signed for 4 more years. Voracek 6. There is still plenty of time to become contenders during that time.

I have said it before, people just need to get used to the fact that G and Jake will play Hossa like roles when the team becomes a contender. The Flyers winning a cup will be done on the backs of the young D and next core of forwards.

Goaltending is certainly an issue. But the answer is not trading Patrick who could be the #1 C in a few years, and Hart who could be that #1 G for the next decade. Philly will make a move once the young kids are more experienced and the hole they need filling is more clear. Hell, I would rather go after Holtby who has way less term. 8 years for a goalie turning 30 is a no no.

And fwiw, I do believe Price will rebound next year.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Patrick and Hart aren't going to be traded for a 30yo, 10.5AAV goalie coming off the worst year of his career. Even if Price has a nice rebound season, I still don't make the trade.

Reactions: Rebels57

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Lord, please. Take me to your place.
This proposal is awful. Price has negative value, and there's no reason to give up Patrick and Hart for just an overpaid and an overrated guy.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Possibly the funniest trade proposal I have ever seen.

Flyers say no to Patrick for Price straight up.

Flyers say no to Hart for Price straight up.

Price has little trade value with that asinine contract and Carter Hart is the future in net in Philly.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
To Philly: Price and Danault

To Montreal: Patrick, Lehtera, Elliott, and Hart

Was talking to a Philly fan and suggested they just needed to finally stop ****ing around in net and get the best goalie in the world (yeah yeah, down year or not). Montreal needs to get out from under their big vet deals and rebuild because they're not going to compete with their present core.

This helps both teams: Montreal gets a promising young C and G to start off the rebuild and Philly definitively addresses their perpetual goalie problems and gets arguably the better center at present to slot in for Patrick. Elliott and Lehtera are pure cap dumps for Philly and seat fillers for Montreal.

Wouldn’t take Price for me. Phenomenal goaltender but he’s not getting any better and that contract is brutal.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I'd be more upset that they handcuffed themselves to that contract by giving up their top prospects. Where is their incentive to make this deal? In 2 years, will this team have a better future after this trade? They would also be adding millions onto their cap when they will need to re-sign Provorov and the other young guys which would force them to either lose someone or trade someone.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Judging by the OPs profile, he's a Pens fan. If anybody's wondering why this proposal sucks for PHI...

I don't think it sucks for Philly. As I mentioned earlier, it helps maximize the primes of their best players in the ~30 year old range, which is exactly what I advocated for my own team. Of course this is HF, where magic beans are worth more than a goalie generally considered the best in the world over the past half-decade because he gets paid what he's worth.

But if Flyers fans prefer to keep gambling with a glaring hole on their roster, more power to them.

Reactions: bryan1966
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad