Proposal: Another Price Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Both had a remarkably bad year compared to their previous ones so it's hard to say what's their actual level going forward but... whether you have someone who was considered as the undisputed best goalie in the world not too long ago or you have someone who used to be a great backup goalie until he was absolutely crushed at his first starter job, I know which one I would take no matter what kinda contracts they have (and they are both really bad). One is proven, one is very much not. If you're a contender, you should have a goalie you can rely on.
All true but 70 million that is virtually buyout proof is what makes the difference. If Darlin g is bad you can manage the bad contract for 3 years at approximately 1 million more than backup money. If price is bad you're stuck for 8 years and you can't even have a good backup because youre already at the top for what most pay for 2 goalies

There is literally nothing you can do unless he plays like an Elite goalie. And since he is already 30 health will always be a concern. The pressure will never abate on Carey either since its montreal. So i'd still rather deal with Darling

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Drouin is cheaper because he’s not as good. RNH is just flat out better - more versatile, a better scorer, better defensively, just... better.

He’s also showing he can be damned effective on the wing.
And i wonder how effective Drouin would be on McDavid's wing.Better than RNH i would guess.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
One wonders what the habs will have to pay them to select him given the golden knights expansion model. Seattle won't choose him for free.

One wonders if you are serious or not. If you truly believe Seattle wouldn’t pick one of the leagues best goalies for free, your crazy.

If MTL lost him for nothing I’d be furious. Price has a lot of value despite his contract. There are a lot of teams who should be desperate for a goalie 2/3rds of what Price is, no retention would be needed to make a deal trust me.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
One wonders if you are serious or not. If you truly believe Seattle wouldn’t pick one of the leagues best goalies for free, your crazy.

If MTL lost him for nothing I’d be furious. Price has a lot of value despite his contract. There are a lot of teams who should be desperate for a goalie 2/3rds of what Price is, no retention would be needed to make a deal trust me.
umm it wouldnt be 'for free'. At 10.5M per I am sure Seattle will be able to pick better value in net.
There are alot of good goalies in the NHL and many of them would be left unprotected in an expansion draft.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
umm it wouldnt be 'for free'. At 10.5M per I am sure Seattle will be able to pick better value in net.
There are alot of good goalies in the NHL and many of them would be left unprotected in an expansion draft.

There aren’t many goalies of the same caliber as Price....and any even close will not be left unprotected....

He will be protected, and if he were to not be...he would be the cornerstone of that franchise.

Yes Price is overpaid, but it’s not as bad as some make out and he isn’t a cap dump as some make out.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

youre nuts, at almost 11m for 7 years most of them years where they want high draft choices, why select a goalie who will keep them winning games they might be better off losing

you are insane, truly he wasnt even above average THIS year and the damn contract hasnt even started yet.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

Are you joking. This is one of the worst contracts in the league for one of the better goalies. At like 7m for 8 years or 10.5 for 5, but the post 35 10.5 years are brrrruuutal.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Most players would waive for the right opportunity. The question still stands, how much would MTL retain.
as long as he has an NMC HE IS EXEMPT FROM BEING SELECTED. now the player can if he wishes revoke his NMC, but even then its still seattles choice to select him or not.

montreal would in that situation try to induce seattle to select him

the question remains why would Price revoke his NMC which would then mean he can be traded not just to Seattle, but also by Seattle if they so wished without restriction afterward? Price has no reason to do so. once his NMC is revoked he could be traded anywhere at anytime, without restriction

so as a practical matter there is no reason for price to do so. he could wind up anywhere. Az, Carolina, Buffalo, and his only recourse is to retire

so if im Price why revoke? Id just stay in Montreal and just keepraking in the money, knowing he's in control, going nowhere

Last edited:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
as long as he has an NMC HE IS EXEMPT FROM BEING SELECTED. now the player can if he wishes revoke his NMC, but even then its still seattles choice to select him or not.

montreal would in that situation try to induce seattle to select him

the question remains why would Price revoke his NMC which would then mean he can be traded not just to Seattle, but also by Seattle if they so wished without restriction afterward? Price has no reason to do so. once his NMC is revoked he could be traded anywhere at anytime, without restriction

so as a practical matter there is no reason for price to do so. he could wind up anywhere. Az, Carolina, Buffalo, and his only recourse is to retire

so if im Price why revoke? Id just stay in Montreal and just keepraking in the money, knowing he's in control, going nowhere
I meant revoke for a trade to a good team, and leave MTL who is in the rebuild. Sorry if i missed the context of Seattle. I agree, he's not waiving to go there.

If Toronto wasn't Toronto (because MTL would NEVER trade him there), thats a team I could see that might want a goalie, but not nearly at 10.5m. Most other PO teams have a "franchise" goalie.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I meant revoke for a trade to a good team, and leave MTL who is in the rebuild. Sorry if i missed the context of Seattle. I agree, he's not waiving to go there.

If Toronto wasn't Toronto (because MTL would NEVER trade him there), thats a team I could see that might want a goalie, but not nearly at 10.5m. Most other PO teams have a "franchise" goalie.

he may want to go to Seattle, after all its much closer to home. Im just pointing out the fact that once he revokes the NMC, ITS GONE. and from that point forward he can be traded anywhere, without his consent.

why would he give up the control he has now, thats the point

he has total control , an NMC and a buyout proof contract....Why would he give that up?

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
he may want to go to Seattle, after all its much closer to home. Im just pointing out the fact that once he revokes the NMC, ITS GONE.
and from that point forward he can be traded anywhere, without his consent.

why would he give up the control he has now, thats the point
Well I mean typically they have something in the works before they ask you to move. Its not like they have you waive it and then "SURPRISE", you're off to Arizona. The NMC give some ability to control where you go.

Edit - He'd give it up for a chance to win. MTL is beginning what looks to be a long rebuild.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Well I mean typically they have something in the works before they ask you to move. Its not like they have you waive it and then "SURPRISE", you're off to Arizona. The NMC give some ability to control where you go.
you still dont get the point

once you revoke the NMC its gone, completely, unless the new team decided to give him one

Why would ANY new team give him one knowing that he already has an 8 year contract? why limit their options going forward, the new team doesnt owe price anything

once its revoked its gone

so yeah maybe he wouldnt mind going to Seattle, but what if in 2 years they dont want him anymore, at that point Price has no choice in the matter, once its gone its gone

im just pointing out that the man was smart enough to give himself total control. why would he give that back if he doesnt have to? he saw what happened to Subban and he said "that will never happen to me"

Last edited:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
you still dont get the point

once you revoke the NMC its gone, completely, unless the new team decided to give him one

Why would ANY new team give him one knowing that he already has an 8 year contract? why limit their options going forward, the new team doesnt owe price anything

once its revoked its gone

so yeah maybe he wouldnt mind going to Seattle, but what if in 2 years they dont want him anymore, at that point Price has no choice in the matter, once its gone its gone
No I get that. Not saying he's going to fall off a cliff, but he's probably got 5 years left at a very high level. Those are his 5 years to be contending. He wasn't as good last year, but I expect him to bounce back, but the MINUTE his ability drops, the 10.5 means he's got no chance to be playing goal for a contender. MTL is eating minimum 3 of those years right now, and I think it will be longer personally as they have one of the worst prospect pools around. He's going to get paid no matter what, but does he want to win for any of that. By the time MTL is back, he'll be a media pariah holding the team back.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
that may be, im just saying he has no reason to do anything, he negotiated a contract where he is 100 percent in charge

he designed it that way for a reason, the whole Seattle expansion and buyout scenarios that fans have come up with, are invalid for that very reason because Price designed his contract to put him in the drives seat.

if bergevin wants to do anything with price, he can just say "talk to the hand"

why would price give that up for any reason

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
To Philly: Price and Danault

To Montreal: Patrick, Lehtera, Elliott, and Hart

Was talking to a Philly fan and suggested they just needed to finally stop f***ing around in net and get the best goalie in the world (yeah yeah, down year or not). Montreal needs to get out from under their big vet deals and rebuild because they're not going to compete with their present core.

This helps both teams: Montreal gets a promising young C and G to start off the rebuild and Philly definitively addresses their perpetual goalie problems and gets arguably the better center at present to slot in for Patrick. Elliott and Lehtera are pure cap dumps for Philly and seat fillers for Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad