Post-Game Talk: Another OT Win

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Your Detroit Red Wings-- Bad at being a good team. Bad at being a bad team.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Blashill deserves to be roasted for not playing Athanasiou late in games. Awful, awful coaching. :shakehead

Yep, not to mention having No Goals out there on the PP, and Mantha sitting and watching. You can just see it in Mantha's face, they showed a closeup of him on the bench when Blash didn't put him on the PP. You can tell he's upset.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yep, not to mention having No Goals out there on the PP, and Mantha sitting and watching. You can just see it in Mantha's face, they showed a closeup of him on the bench when Blash didn't put him on the PP. You can tell he's upset.

I guess if I blasted Babcock for not trusting kids I can blast Blashill for it too.

I wish I could understand their thought process. From what I'm watching, Miller is in no way an upgrade from Nosek and AA and Mantha are the least of this team's problems. But then I've been trained for these puzzling decisions for 5 years now so meh.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Just strolling by, Mantha's second goal was sweet. Also, Zetterberg to Nyquist to Tatar for identical goals two games in a row was pretty crazy.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Tatar has 11 goals in his last 18. Pretty damn good.

He's on a 30-goal pace if you take away his slow start. I wanna see a 30 goal season next year from him. He has never been consistent for an entire season. If he finds consistency, there is no reason he can't hit 60 points.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I guess if I blasted Babcock for not trusting kids I can blast Blashill for it too.

I wish I could understand their thought process. From what I'm watching, Miller is in no way an upgrade from Nosek and AA and Mantha are the least of this team's problems. But then I've been trained for these puzzling decisions for 5 years now so meh.

Ya, I'm just glad Nosek has had the opportunity to play a bit. Assuming LGD can't go tomorrow, we should see Nosek back in. In my opinion he has earned a roster spot for next season.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Tatar has 11 goals in his last 18. Pretty damn good.

He's on a 30-goal pace if you take away his slow start. I wanna see a 30 goal season next year from him. He has never been consistent for an entire season. If he finds consistency, there is no reason he can't hit 60 points.

He needs a guy like Z the whole season. With that and even a middling PP he'd hit 30 for sure I think.
In my opinion he has earned a roster spot for next season.
He looked damn good last season too in his brief stint. He's a good player. 4th line for sure, middle 6 potential is easily there.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Well, we need someone to be elite. Doesn't have to be AA or Mantha. Given their age, it's not likely they'll ever reach the level we need them to be to be competitive. Usually you can tell by the time they're 22 if they're going to be elite or not.

That said they're both extremely competent players who would be welcome on most teams. And not in a grinding role, but in a role where they can make a difference.

I don't think we know yet what either's full potential is. Mantha looks like he could become elite and AA has produced at an elite rate when you normalize for ice time.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't think we know yet what either's full potential is. Mantha looks like he could become elite and AA has produced at an elite rate when you normalize for ice time.

Chances are they don't ever become elite, given how few players are and how they typically can be predicted before they reach 22. People knew McDavid, Matthews, Crosby, Laine, would be elite before they even entered the league. Usually if you're elite material you're going to show that in the AHL or your first year in the NHL. Yes, sometimes they develop into it later, but usually not.

And AA's great, I love him, I pump his tires all the time. I've said over and over his "ceiling" is Datsyuk level. He's so good at greasing by defenders and he's so fast. But chances are he never hits that level. And his possession metrics aren't very promising either, despite his G/60. Low ice time typically inflates that anyway.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Wings go undefeated and make the playoffs lol

So are Mantha and aa 30 goal scorers? Pretty sure aa would be if he played a full season/ got actual ice time

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Chances are they don't ever become elite, given how few players are and how they typically can be predicted before they reach 22. People knew McDavid, Matthews, Crosby, Laine, would be elite before they even entered the league. Usually if you're elite material you're going to show that in the AHL or your first year in the NHL. Yes, sometimes they develop into it later, but usually not.

And AA's great, I love him, I pump his tires all the time. I've said over and over his "ceiling" is Datsyuk level. He's so good at greasing by defenders and he's so fast. But chances are he never hits that level. And his possession metrics aren't very promising either, despite his G/60. Low ice time typically inflates that anyway.

AA's assist totals are a bit worrying for someone that's always had concerns over his hockey sense

I can't really see him realistically being any more than a Grabner type guy because of that(although hopefully a bit better)

that's not bad or anything and I could totally see him being an important secondary guy but i'd be beyond shocked if he ever became elite

you can't just be good at the goals side of things and be an elite player(well unless you're the BEST at it ala Ovechkin the last few years since his assists fell off a cliff)

Last edited:

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
AA's assist totals are a bit worrying for someone that's always had concerns over his hockey sense

I can't really see him realistically being any more than a Grabner type guy because of that(although hopefully a bit better)

that's not bad or anything and I could totally see him being an important secondary guy but i'd be beyond shocked if he ever became elite

you can't just be good at the goals side of things and be an elite player(well unless you're the BEST at it ala Ovechkin the last few years since his assists fell off a cliff)

If you put The Great One on a line with No Goal Sheahan and 7 goal Abby, his friggin assists total wouldn't look great either.

Did you see the assist to Mantha last night? He's done that before.

You can't get assists if Holland puts bloated-contract no-goal-scorers on the ice with you and allows a faux-coach to screw with your ice time and insult you publicly.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Like someone else said, his assist total would likely look much better if he wasn't playing with Sheahan and other 4th liners for large portions of the year.

Like I said, we don't know their full potential yet. Mantha has top 10 winger potential in my opinion if he can put it all together.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Like someone else said, his assist total would likely look much better if he wasn't playing with Sheahan and other 4th liners for large portions of the year.

Like I said, we don't know their full potential yet. Mantha has top 10 winger potential in my opinion if he can put it all together.

Well that's not true 80% of the season his linemates were a combo of Nielsen, Vanek, Larkin, Abby and to a lesser extent helm. The other 20% he had Sheahan as a line mate.

Next year I see Nielsen centering Mantha and AA.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I just wanted to pop in and say how impressed I was with your team that they stuck around after the collision with Lack until he was safely transported away.

Very classy.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well, we need someone to be elite. Doesn't have to be AA or Mantha. Given their age, it's not likely they'll ever reach the level we need them to be to be competitive. Usually you can tell by the time they're 22 if they're going to be elite or not.
That's kinda BS tbh. Of course "usually" you know by the time they're 22. Usually you know at the draft, because usually players simply don't become elite. But players don't usually do the stuff we're seeing AA and Mantha do either. Mantha's a rookie and AA basically is too, way too soon to put a ceiling on their potential when at their best they've shown tons of gamebreaking talent already.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Even if 1 does become elite, what does 1 elite player that is a winger do for you? Look at CBJ with Nash and ATL with Kovalchuk.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

His hockey sense seems fine to me, offensively at least. He's made some incredible plays and passes this season that somehow just didn't get finished. Datsyukian if I can say it without sounding ridiculous.

The problem is his defensive side. I don't think he's a black hole, but he's clearly not as comfortable in his own zone. He gets caught chasing or looking far too often. Not sure if it's because he's not center like Datsyuk always is, but he's just not as good at forcing turnovers, retrieving the puck, being in the right place to cut off passes and shots. He's too slow to the areas the puck is going to be in his own zone. Whereas offensively he's just got a nose for it.

I really feel that, plus being a little stronger on his skates, would make him a bonafide top6 C.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

I don't want to get too ahead of myself here, but Mantha looks like Rick Nash (prime, younger Rick Nash) out there. Not many big guys have the quickness, and hands, and shot combination that Mantha has. Again, it's too early to say Mantha will be as dominant as Nash was in his prime, but a big guy with this type of speed/skill/shot combination is a rarity. As with all of our players, he needs to find some consistency, if he does there is no reason he can't score 35+ goals per year.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I don't want to get too ahead of myself here, but Mantha looks like Rick Nash (prime, younger Rick Nash) out there. Not many big guys have the quickness, and hands, and shot combination that Mantha has. Again, it's too early to say Mantha will be as dominant as Nash was in his prime, but a big guy with this type of speed/skill/shot combination is a rarity. A

It's a great comparaison, I thought about that last night. He's going to have the same amount of points that Nash had in his first full season and in less games, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad