Pre-Game Talk: Another fowl postponement (Sun 1/24 vs Pens PPD to 3/1/16)

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
No way the league would just cancel the games. The arenas aren't going to give up the $$ for missed games and I'd guess the NHLPA would dispute it as well.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No way the league would just cancel the games. The arenas aren't going to give up the $$ for missed games and I'd guess the NHLPA would dispute it as well.

That's what I'm saying. There are so many reasons to NOT just cancel. I have no idea where people are getting this notion that it's an option unless there's some kind of modern precedent.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Has the NHL ever cancelled games resulting in uneven games-played totals? They've completely eliminated games during work stoppages but when was the last time they just flat out erased games from the schedule of 3 or 4 teams and not everyone else?

I want to say this scenario has been in play in recent years when the game was only going to be played if the game effected the playoffs.
of course, it might have been a baseball game

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I want to say this scenario has been in play in recent years when the game was only going to be played if the game effected the playoffs.

I don't recall this. When did it happen?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I believe that has happened in MLB. Don't recall it in the NHL.

Yeah it may have occurred more recently but I know the Cubs only played 161 games in both 2008 and 2009. Not that it happens that often but I think it happens enough in MLB that it isn't a big deal.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
At one end of the All-Star break (which I'd assume is a non-starter with the NHLPA) or tacked on at the end would be the only time frames that would work either without giving one of the teams a 3-in-3.

I'd say be prepared for a home back-to-back April 11-12, though it'd be by far the best to play the Pens this Friday night and the Ducks game 4/11. I wonder how much flexibility the league has with the start of the playoffs?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
At one end of the All-Star break (which I'd assume is a non-starter with the NHLPA) or tacked on at the end would be the only time frames that would work either without giving one of the teams a 3-in-3.

I'd say be prepared for a home back-to-back April 11-12, though it'd be by far the best to play the Pens this Friday night and the Ducks game 4/11. I wonder how much flexibility the league has with the start of the playoffs?

I just looked at the Ducks schedule. They finish the season on the road at Denver on Saturday night. A flight to DC after that to play on that Sunday is about the only real chance. Saturday April 9 for the final scheduled game and then play Sunday the 10th. The Caps finish the schedule at St Louis on the 9th. Is there something at VC on the 10th(the Wiz have a 1p game?

I'd think the Penguins game will be easier.

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I just looked at the Ducks schedule. They finish the season on the road at Denver on Saturday night. A flight to DC after that to play on that Sunday is about the only real chance. Saturday April 9 for the final scheduled game and then play Sunday the 10th. The Caps finish the schedule at St Louis on the 9th. Is there something at VC on the 10th(the Wiz have a 1p game?

I'd think the Penguins game will be easier.
The 10th/12th would work as well, but VC is totally clear both the 11th and 12th.

bWo*

With caps hockey, life is incomplete. Atleast the pats play tomorrow

Jun 15, 2007
I don't care about basketball and football so I had the luxury of picking teams that seemed kinda cool and didn't break their fans hearts as much as the Caps. Naturally I picked the San Antonio Spurs and New England Patriots.

Baseball, I don't care about enough to even pick a team.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Blackhawks play again today. We'll have 7 games on hand to them in few days. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad