Pre-Game Talk: Another fowl postponement (Sun 1/24 vs Pens PPD to 3/1/16)

Johannes de Silentio

Aug 6, 2015
Washington, D.C.
Do you guys think the postponements may ultimately help the team insofar as it gives more time off for guys like Orpik, Carlson, and Beagle? I know they tend to come back sloppy after a long layoff, but that's generally just for a game. Maybe it's better to get incremental benefits for health.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
Do you guys think the postponements may ultimately help the team insofar as it gives more time off for guys like Orpik, Carlson, and Beagle? I know they tend to come back sloppy after a long layoff, but that's generally just for a game. Maybe it's better to get incremental benefits for health.

Not really as the All-Star break is coming up too. I just expect a very rusty looking Caps team next game.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

No.

Tons of games after the All-Star Game. I think it's 35 games in 69 days, which is alot. This schedule has been terrible with the long breaks (feels like we've had atleast 5 breaks of 4 or more days), and now it's most likely 1 game in 2 weeks with the break coming. Caps aren't exactly starving for points either.

This helps the Ducks the most. Pens game is a rivalry one so i'm sure the Caps will play that 100% whanever it is scheduled. Ducks caught a break not having to face this Caps team on a roll with 12-game winning streak at home. If that game is in April they might see Caps team minus few top guys if the Presidents Trophy is on the bag already.

Well atleast we'll have lots of people rooting for us now that these games are held later. Both of these teams are fighting for a playoff spots with bunch of other teams.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This unexpected rest helps us a lot. It allows the dinged up players to recover completely physically and mentally. A player like Chimera who probably had a nasty bruise on his hand after blocking a slap shot with it will probably be in a better shape for the rest of the season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This unexpected rest helps us a lot. It allows the dinged up players to recover completely physically and mentally. A player like Chimera who probably had a nasty bruise on his hand after blocking a slap shot with it will probably be in a better shape for the rest of the season.

Cool. Now they can get dinged up and have less recovery time in the 37 games in 69 stretch before the post-season. Awesome!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think it'll help our health in the short run, but with such a packed schedule to end the season I can't see how it makes any positive difference come the playoffs. The big positive is that we have such a cushion that we'll be OK resting guys if need be towards the end of the season.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
36 in 69 it's a lot.

But hopefully it's not LAK or CHI we have to face in the first round, so it will be great to see Caps win their 1st & 2nd round series in 4 or 5

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Cool. Now they can get dinged up and have less recovery time in the 37 games in 69 stretch before the post-season. Awesome!

You play every other night in the playoffs, that's the pace at which the team must roll. Hopefully the league delays the start of the playoffs to give us a little break at the end.

bWo*

You play every other night in the playoffs, that's the pace at which the team must roll. Hopefully the league delays the start of the playoffs to give us a little break at the end.

This is hour I see it, ensures we're firing on all cylinders come playoff time and that there's no rust

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The postponments blow. About the worst possible scheduling issue for a cap cieling team, as they can't do as much shuffling of the lineup. Definitely a disadvantage heading into the playoffs. It's too bad cancellation isn't going to happen.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Maybe he can change his flight to Thursday and catch the next Caps game vs Philly. It sucks for him though.

Maybe Ted and the Caps work something out for them. Surely Backs, MoJo, and Burra wouldn't want them to be empty handed. I bet we hear something come out shortly about them doing something for those fans

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

it helps banged up players now and will hurt banged up players when the two games are jammed into an already tight schedule. as the beat up later is closer to the playoffs and the playoffs is what matters, I'd say its not that good.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Playing every other night after the all-star game isn't really that bad of a thing for a team that tends to not show up after long breaks of time between games. Get the ball rolling down hill before the playoffs begin.

And really the difference between 2 extra games after the break is NOT That big of a difference. Not sure why so much panic and melodrama about it :shakehead

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Playing every other night after the all-star game isn't really that bad of a thing for a team that tends to not show up after long breaks of time between games. Get the ball rolling down hill before the playoffs begin.

And really the difference between 2 extra games after the break is NOT That big of a difference. Not sure why so much panic and melodrama about it :shakehead
You looked at the schedule? Those two extra games pretty much have to be added to the end of the season. So there's a decent chance the Caps are playing 3 days after every other playoff team is done.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You looked at the schedule? Those two extra games pretty much have to be added to the end of the season. So there's a decent chance the Caps are playing 3 days after every other playoff team is done.

Once we lock a playoff spot (which will be early I presume), we can just rest players who get tough minutes like Backstrom and Niskanen. If we're the best team in the league, we can't really complain about something that goes beyond the control of the NHL.

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
The caps seem to play their best when they play every other night. I think this will work out nice for them getting healthy now and then getting into a rhythm as the playoff approach.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Once we lock a playoff spot (which will be early I presume), we can just rest players who get tough minutes like Backstrom and Niskanen. If we're the best team in the league, we can't really complain about something that goes beyond the control of the NHL.

complain? somebody asked if it was good or bad rescheduling those games. if its bad, its bad because its not good. its not complaining.

do you also think its a good idea to coast the final 30 days of the season because there isn't really anything to play for? lose your momentum and sharpness? trotz doesn't seem a lot like a give Ov the night off because he's been seeing a lot of ice and give Galiev his spot kind of coach

I am sure I missed something, but the caps have 4 sets of back to backs the rest of the season. they have 3 stretches where they get two days between games. one is on a west coast road trip and another includes the travel back from the west coast. the 3rd is returning from a road trip to Chicago. adding these games into the schedule means going to 6 back to back sets.

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
If the Caps can't "weather the storm" of the NHL season and win it all, they don't deserve to. Plain and simple...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If the Caps can't "weather the storm" of the NHL season and win it all, they don't deserve to. Plain and simple...

the ppd games. do they help the capitals or hurt them? I doesn't help them is one of the options. there is a train of thought that somehow this helps the caps. saying that it doesn't help them is looking for excuses? deserves has often little to do with who succeeds or fails.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
the ppd games. do they help the capitals or hurt them? I doesn't help them is one of the options. there is a train of thought that somehow this helps the caps. saying that it doesn't help them is looking for excuses? deserves has often little to do with who succeeds or fails.

The Caps have the best team in a wide open Eastern Conference...by a country mile. If a couple postponed games ruin their chances at The Cup then they are simply not worthy of winning it. Is it helpful loading in so many games in the second half? Probably not... But if they can't get it done will I look back and blame the weather for our loss? **** no...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The Caps have the best team in a wide open Eastern Conference...by a country mile. If a couple postponed games ruin their chances at The Cup then they are simply not worthy of winning it. Is it helpful loading in so many games in the second half? Probably not... But if they can't get it done will I look back and blame the weather for our loss? **** no...

You're 100% right. Other teams have to fight to get a playoff spot, we don't have to fight for our spot. Every team has a challenge, this is our challenge. We have to get in shape for the playoffs, playing every other night is a good test for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad