Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
In fact I'm wrong Shaw is right now producing at a 59 points over 82 games pace. So it's more like 60 points player right now which honestly is 100% unexpected ;)

Of course he struggled more than expected his first 2 seasons because of injuries but he is 100% overperforming versus expectation (of everyone including Hawks GM) right now. Or else a team would have offered more than two 2nd considering he was asking for less than 4 millions. If you can get a solid young 50-60 winger paid 3.9 millions you offer more than two 2nd round picks. So basically no GM foresaw the level of play Shaw is achieving right now and everyone saw him as a 15-20 and 30-40 guy.

Maybe he's the next Kunitz who knows (who came out of nowhere at 25 to become a regular 50-60 points player and remained one until he turned 32).

For sure he is producing a lot higher than most thought, but when traded for I think most projections had him at a 40 point guy, 20/20. 3.9 Mill for 40 points is right on target for a salary.

So he is playing above his head this year, but that makes up for last year where he played well below what he should have.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Did he call out Drouin?
Drou-OUIN

619047C7-2713-4D2D-932E-3C2704223069.jpeg

Reactions: Fixxer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Imagine if Shaw played a full year and maintained his prorated production stats? That would put him right behind Domi as the 2nd best points producer on our team. That would be just Shawsome!

Last edited:
Reactions: savard95 and Fixxer

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
His production this year gives us a glimpse of what value he brings when he is on his game and playing a top 9 role. I like having him in the mix. He brings it game after game.

He is in his prime years too.
And he’s our only Cup Champion. He’s probably a beast in the playoffs.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Not even sure I want to make the playoffs at this stage. I rather the lowest pick possible cause not sure we learn anything against the Lightning.
If Price goes GOD MODE you never know, it would still be a long shot but crazier things have happened. I don’t see our 1st pick changing drastically at this point either way. I’m still in playoff mode for now!

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Price goes GOD MODE you never know, it would still be a long shot but crazier things have happened. I don’t see our 1st pick changing drastically at this point either way. I’m still in playoff mode for now!

Could be a big difference between pick 11 vs pick 16 or 17. But yes, we might either just make the playoffs or miss it and get pick 15 or 16.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Could be a big difference between pick 11 vs pick 16 or 17. But yes, we might either just make the playoffs or miss it and get pick 15 or 16.
Sure there can be a difference in 11 vs 16, but those are “ifs & ands” imo and getting into the playoffs trumps that for me. Sure it’s a 1 in 100 chance we win the cup, but there is still a chance, you never know what can happen. Nothing worse than golfing early and not getting in. If the idiot had acquired 1 freaking LD instead of 6 more plugs we would have been a shoe-in.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sure there can be a difference in 11 vs 16, but those are “ifs & ands” imo and getting into the playoffs trumps that for me. Sure it’s a 1 in 100 chance we win the cup, but there is still a chance, you never know what can happen. Nothing worse than golfing early and not getting in. If the idiot had acquired 1 freaking LD instead of 6 more plugs we would have been a shoe-in.

Don't get me wrong... I won't be upset if we make the playoffs and face the Lightning. Watching playoff hockey with the Habs in it is better than with us not in it. But it might not be best for our future in terms of probability of hitting with a 18th pick vs a 11th pick. We will see

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
What ? Are you serious ? The guy scored the winning goal in the Stanley Cup final.

When Kuzy/Backstrom went down, Eller did a really good job.

He changed the momentum during the Columbus serie.

Yeah, he had no impact. :huh:

Some people will just call that Fake news.... it didn't happen. Forget what someone does in the playoffs KS... its what have you done for me in the Molson October Cups!!!!! That is what really matters!

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Don't get me wrong... I won't be upset if we make the playoffs and face the Lightning. Watching playoff hockey with the Habs in it is better than with us not in it. But it might not be best for our future in terms of probability of hitting with a 18th pick vs a 11th pick. We will see
Not sure we can throw a 18th vs 11th pick scenario here, many things would have had to or would have to happen, to many ifs. The way the race is right now, there’s no way we are going to just collapse. The best we can hope for is some playoff excitement. If we are concerning ourselves with draft positioning right now I think we are just wasting our time because it won’t change much. It’s playoffs or bust! Go Habs Go!

Reactions: savard95

MC94

May 13, 2018
Not sure we can throw a 18th vs 11th pick scenario here, many things would have had to or would have to happen, to many ifs. The way the race is right now, there’s no way we are going to just collapse. The best we can hope for is some playoff excitement. If we are concerning ourselves with draft positioning right now I think we are just wasting our time because it won’t change much. It’s playoffs or bust! Go Habs Go!
But with the draft lottory there is always that glimmer of hope to jump up, ya its only like a 1 in 30 chance the best none playoff team wins a top 3 pick but eventually it is going to happen could be this year who knows! How mad would everyone on here be if habs get swepped in the first round to tampa and columbus drafts hughes haha

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
But with the draft lottory there is always that glimmer of hope to jump up, ya its only like a 1 in 30 chance the best none playoff team wins a top 3 pick but eventually it is going to happen could be this year who knows! How mad would everyone on here be if habs get swepped in the first round to tampa and columbus drafts hughes haha
So I guess we should never go for the playoffs because we want to draft higher? Don’t we have enough young players and prospects? We need 2 x Veteran LD. Actual NHL players, or are we just going to keep spinning our tires until we burn our current veteran core? Then rinse and repeat.. lame and miserable.

MC94

May 13, 2018
So I guess we should never go for the playoffs because we want to draft higher? Don’t we have enough young players and prospects? We need 2 x Veteran LD. Actual NHL players, or are we just going to keep spinning our tires until we burn our current veteran core? Then rinse and repeat.. "lame and miserable".
Ya but so am I so that mind set is perfect for me lol

Reactions: Guns n Roses

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad