Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
None of that justifies the Shaw deal. I don't buy that every 2nd rounder would have begotten what you mention. Is Romanov also in that mold? I think Timmins has gotten better. Romanov will be ready to step in within 2 years as an NHL regular.

Or maybe they should have blindly traded Romanov's pick for a diminutive, concussed player who is one major trauma away from calling it a career? You know, the type of player who has learned nothing about adapting his style of play so as to limit his risk of future head trauma.

CtebiI5.gif

Well lets go back and see that at the time the team wanted to compete, had just gotten PK and Radu was coming into the fold.

MB gets roasted for not trading enough at that TDL and only getting King/Ott/Martinsen. Yet he gets roasted for moving 2nds for a young player with playoff pedigree.

And funny enough the Romanov pick was because MB traded away Fleish and Weise (and also got Dannault).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well lets go back and see that at the time the team wanted to compete, had just gotten PK and Radu was coming into the fold.

MB gets roasted for not trading enough at that TDL and only getting King/Ott/Martinsen. Yet he gets roasted for moving 2nds for a young player with playoff pedigree.

And funny enough the Romanov pick was because MB traded away Fleish and Weise (and also got Dannault).

Bergevin could have just walked away after trading Eller.

From the Eller trade, they got two second rounders, one in 2017 and the other in 2018.

With their 2017 Capitals pick, they 2017 second round pick they got Joni Ikonen.

They traded their 2018 second rounder to the Oilers for their 2018 third rounder Jordan Harris and their fifth round pick (Samuel Houde).

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
it's good for Habs fans to have a player who won on -> another team ?

guess so :huh:
I would say so, he’s been the distance, I’m sure the younger guys look up to him and the veterans respect his 2 rings, he’s definitely able to share some good advice at the least.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I would say so, he’s been the distance, I’m sure the younger guys look up to him and the veterans respect his 2 rings, he’s definitely able to share some good advice at the least.
good on you for being happy that players won cups for other teams.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
good on you for being happy that players won cups for other teams.
I think his 2 wins help bring experience to our team. I don’t really care much about what he did for Chicago, it could have been for any other team. The way I see it, having more Stanley Cup winning experienced players could only be a positive, even if it’s just a small benefit, we need all the positives we can get with this group.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I think his 2 wins help bring experience to our team. I don’t really care much about what he did for Chicago, it could have been for any other team. The way I see it, having more Stanley Cup winning experienced players could only be a positive, even if it’s just a small benefit, we need all the positives we can get with this group.
because...

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
If he stays healthy he's a ****ing bargain for what he brings on the ice and off the ice.
I agree the guy is playing well this year but injuries have been an issues. He plays aggressive but he is not the biggest guy out there which seem like to lead to his health issues.

Hopefully, he can remain healthy because he is playing well right now. I like him in the lineup. I do wonder what will happen if he gets another concussion. What we know about them now it should give anyone hesitation to continue playing. For Shaw’s sake as a person outside the realm of hockey I hope he does not suffer another one. There is more to life than hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guns n Roses

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
when he was traded for it was thought he could be a 20-20 guy that could rotate between the 2nd and 3rd line.

50 points maybe out of reach, but for sure it was expected he would notch 20G especially since he did it once in Chicago.

In fact I'm wrong Shaw is right now producing at a 59 points over 82 games pace. So it's more like 60 points player right now which honestly is 100% unexpected ;)

Of course he struggled more than expected his first 2 seasons because of injuries but he is 100% overperforming versus expectation (of everyone including Hawks GM) right now. Or else a team would have offered more than two 2nd considering he was asking for less than 4 millions. If you can get a solid young 50-60 winger paid 3.9 millions you offer more than two 2nd round picks. So basically no GM foresaw the level of play Shaw is achieving right now and everyone saw him as a 15-20 and 30-40 guy.

Maybe he's the next Kunitz who knows (who came out of nowhere at 25 to become a regular 50-60 points player and remained one until he turned 32).

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He is an awesome top 9 guy, can move up and down and put up 20/20. Heart and soul guy that can change the momentum of the game. When he plays smart is insanely effective.

God I hope he can stay healthy. I don’t think he will unfortunately, concussions are a bitch.

I think he goes beast mode if we make the playoffs. This guy was built for a playoff run.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Shaw is a good player, is one of the best role/ support player in the league.
The problem is
- We paid to much to acquire him since we had to out bid other teams.
- We traded the pick not knowing what could be available (we could have waited a few hours to figure it out, Maybe Chicago want AD and are willing to do a 2nd and a 3rd... maybe we like AD and decide that Shaw isn’t worth it.)
- We sign him to a contract with term that he earn on another team.
- With is style of play, player don’t usually age well in the NHL.
- He was a supporting player on a team that didn’t have any star to support.
- We got rid of Eller (out of DD/Plek& Eller) Eller is the last guy we should have traded
- We acquired a top 9 and lost top 9, kind of a side way move
- Shaw bring energy and grit but he doesn’t bring a lot of size, in a already small line up.

Today Shaw make more sense in our line up. But considering who was available in the draft (we will hear a few other names next years not just Debrincat and Girard). It would be a lot cheaper to acquire him today when he actually fit and even if it wasn’t cheaper with 1 or 2 more NHL player we could have a lot more flexibility and it is a lot less of a gamble.

This, this and this. (Don't agree with everything, but mostly)

His season is phenomenal, but...

I love how some people are here with the usual "I told you so", but they were non-existent the last two years and now that he's playing really well, they are here, claiming that it was all part of the plan.

I was here when he was putrid and i'm here when he's playing well.

Jul 6, 2016
My hats off to Shaw for his very solid season.

But I'd rather have DeBrincat and Girard in the line up

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
4 or 5 years ago, when blackhawks were dominant during playoff. A loved watching games, especially because of andrew shaw. This guy played with jonathan toews and he had so much poise around the net. That was ridiculous. He played all shift at 100% and the opponent had andrew shaw in the face all night long. If montreal is going in playoff. We will like him, im pretty sure

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
This, this and this. (Don't agree with everything, but mostly)

His season is phenomenal, but...

I love how some people are here with the usual "I told you so", but they were non-existent the last two years and now that he's playing really well, they are here, claiming that it was all part of the plan.

I was here when he was putrid and i'm here when he's playing well.
Even knowing He be playing well I would not have made the trade we didn’t have the team. you pay a high price for a guy like Shaw to put your self over the top We didn’t have the stars for him to compliment

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Even knowing He be playing well I would not have made the trade we didn’t have the team. you pay a high price for a guy like Shaw to put your self over the top We didn’t have the stars for him to compliment

We did have Weber and Radu that year, and won the division. So I think getting a 2 time cup winner who is still young and could improve was a good time to do it.

And 2 2nds is not that high of a price. We traded a 2nd and a 4th for Petry and back when he was in EDM he was half the player he is today. Washington traded us 2 2nds for Lars Eller. Playoff heroics aside Eller is not that much better than Shaw if at all.

The trade only looks bad because we think TT would of taken Girard and Debrincat. But it could of been as likely that we take another Fucale and JDLR. I don't think TT would of taken Debrincat, I bet he takes Morrison (USHL player) or Kuokkanan (C) or probably Chad Kyrs (D from USHL).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad