Player Discussion Andrew Peeke

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
His outlet passes and general handling of the puck looked way better last night than prior games. He also seemed to hold back on pinching and played more of a shut down role. I wanna see him with Lindholm to let him freewheel a bit more.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
No, league minimum is around $850k or so. I would think if he was around $1.75M for 2 more years he might be worth the gamble that there is hidden upside.
The Athletic puts analytics-driven player valuations out and just updated them. They have Peake’s market value at $800k. Interesting.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
There are 78 right handed defensemen not on their ELC's who have played 20 games this season and averaged 15+ minutes, only 17 make less than 2.5 million. Most of them either had little NHL experience coming into this season or are over 30. Peeke's AAV is a little higher because they bought one UFA season but he is paid appropriately.
Once again. If you are a right handed defenseman, with a couple of full seasons in the NHL, not on an ELC, not aging out, not a tweener, 2.5m is basically the floor. If you want to spend less than that, you get fringe players like Josh Brown. Andrew Peeke is not Josh Brown.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Once again. If you are a right handed defenseman, with a couple of full seasons in the NHL, not on an ELC, not aging out, not a tweener, 2.5m is basically the floor. If you want to spend less than that, you get fringe players like Josh Brown. Andrew Peeke is not Josh Brown.
It’s about value in a cap league and for a team pennies against the cap, give me a 35 year old Shattenkirk at 1M for 1 year vs a 26 year old Peeke for $2.75M for 2 years and change

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He's showing the willingness to battle and protect the net when someone is trying to crash for a rebound or get in Ullmark's way. I appreciate the battle factor. Made the wrong read on the GW goal but it was also good bang/bang play by Point to collect the puck and go wraparound with it.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It’s about value in a cap league and for a team pennies against the cap, give me a 35 year old Shattenkirk at 1M for 1 year vs a 26 year old Peeke for $2.75M for 2 years and change

Ugh, no thanks. I want a 3rd pairing guy who can clear the net.

Shattenkirk was a fine signing for a team that was desperate this year. But when you are desperate you often have to take deeply flawed players for short money. I have no problem with peake at his money, and think if he plays like he has, it won't be an issue the next 2 years. And it think he can play better than he has in his short stint in boston

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What does not using the remainder of their cap space this season get you?

I think he’s more referring to having that 2.75m cap on the books next year when this team needs to sign swayman, Debrusk, and a first line center while also replacing some of the 1 year guys like heinen, jvr, etc.

Reactions: Kalus

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I think he’s more referring to having that 2.75m cap on the books next year when this team needs to sign swayman, Debrusk, and a first line center while also replacing some of the 1 year guys like heinen, jvr, etc.
Well Shatty is gone so essentially Peeke stays to replace him for 1.75 mil more....is that really going to effect signing/replacing any of those guys?

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Peeke- +2.75
Wortherspoon- +800k
Lohrei- +925k
Gryz- -3.687
Forbort- -3.0
Shatty- -1.0

So removing Forbort, Gryz and Shatty and replacing them with Peeke, Wortherspoon and Lohrei, we save 3.212 million next season.

XXXX-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Peeke
Wortherspoon

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Well Shatty is gone so essentially Peeke stays to replace him for 1.75 mil more....is that really going to effect signing/replacing any of those guys?
It is all about value for dollar in this hard cap league. If Peeke plays like a $1M player (the Athletic’s analytics-driven market value estimate has his value at $800k currently), then yes, that $1.75M overpay hurts the team. That is cap space desperately needed in other areas of the roster.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Peeke is, what 5-6 games into learning a new system and teammates. IMHO, he already looks better than the likes of the Reillys, Forborts, and Mitchells(Wotherspoon is starting to grow on me).
He'll make/makes less than either Reilly or Forbort.
He is still young for a DMan. I think they take the longest to figure it out of all the positions.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Next two years
You don't have Shattenkirk the next two years at 1m. If that's what you want to spend on that spot you're looking at Ian Mitchell, Connor Carrick, Stephen Kampfer, players just happy to get a 1 way contract. Josh Brown and Colin Miller don't even make that little.

The Bruins probably had 2-3m slotted for that position and got a quality young player with upside and term. They did well. They are saving that money on the other side with Wotherspoon.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It is all about value for dollar in this hard cap league. If Peeke plays like a $1M player (the Athletic’s analytics-driven market value estimate has his value at $800k currently), then yes, that $1.75M overpay hurts the team. That is cap space desperately needed in other areas of the roster.
Yes the Athletic's market driven value estimate during the worst year of his career for a moribund organization in low. We all knew he was having a bad year. We all knew he performed so well on his previous contract that he received a 2.75 million dollar contract.

Obviously Boston is banking on the fact that they can get him back to the player he was the previous 2 seasons.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You don't have Shattenkirk the next two years at 1m. If that's what you want to spend on that spot you're looking at Ian Mitchell, Connor Carrick, Stephen Kampfer, players just happy to get a 1 way contract. Josh Brown and Colin Miller don't even make that little.

The Bruins probably had 2-3m slotted for that position and got a quality young player with upside and term. They did well. They are saving that money on the other side with Wotherspoon.

Just to further reinforce the point, Connor Clifton got $3,3m as a 5-6 RD from the Sabres. Peeke is younger and better than Clifton. It is what it is- I'd rather they pay Peeke 2.75 than two guys on minimum deals that suck just to save a little bit because you almost certainly aren't getting a RD player of Peeke's quality for $1m unless it's an ELC and right now the Bruins don't have that guy,

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Just to further reinforce the point, Connor Clifton got $3,3m as a 5-6 RD from the Sabres. Peeke is younger and better than Clifton. It is what it is- I'd rather they pay Peeke 2.75 than two guys on minimum deals that suck just to save a little bit because you almost certainly aren't getting a RD player of Peeke's quality for $1m unless it's an ELC and right now the Bruins don't have that guy,
That’s where I am at. I like him better then Clifton and I think the gap grows as he adjusts to the system and his teammates.

I also like him better than the internal options this year for 3D.

I hope he fills out his potential but I’m not confident that he will get back to a top 4 level.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
It is immediately clear that Peeke is a better player/fit here than he was in CBJ. Is he worth $2.75m/year? It's too early to tell, but he looked fine with Lindholm and got a hell of a lot more time than Carlo.
I would rather him out in crunch time over Carlo, and Im not joking either. This kid is going to be great for the Bruins.

Reactions: Gordoff

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
That’s where I am at. I like him better then Clifton and I think the gap grows as he adjusts to the system and his teammates.

I also like him better than the internal options this year for 3D.

I hope he fills out his potential but I’m not confident that he will get back to a top 4 level.
He is a hell of a better player than Clifton. Did anyone notice his pass to himself off the defensive boards while under a heavy pressure?

You can't teach that, the kid has skills and will only get better in Boston

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
He is a hell of a better player than Clifton. Did anyone notice his pass to himself off the defensive boards while under a heavy pressure?

You can't teach that, the kid has skills and will only get better in Boston
Fair enough but i also think I saw him make a pass to Lohrei at the front of our net in traffic against Fla the other night. I feel like K Miller and Peeke have a lot in common. I hope Peeke figures it out because when it clicked for Miller he turned out awesome. Id take that package even if he fights more like Campbell then Miller or McQuaid.

Reactions: BMC and 4ORRBRUIN

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I dont really care about his analytical market value in his worst year, thats a narrow way to look at what hes worth. What was Lindholms looking like before we acquired him? Pretty sure it wasn't pretty....In contrast what was Peekes value in his best year?

Care to show why you think that 1.75 mil will sink them?

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad