Waived: Andrew Hammond Nov 19 | Cleared

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The Hammond run, while glorious, really forced our hand into making this move.

He is a flash in the pan, and I never once felt comfortable with him in net since that run.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
20% ? That seems high.

I'm pretty sure its a statistic that includes basically anyone who ever played even one game in the NHL.

The stat for 5th rounders who play at least 100 games in the NHL is probably substantially lower than 20%.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm pretty sure its a statistic that includes basically anyone who ever played even one game in the NHL.

The stat for 5th rounders who play at least 100 games in the NHL is probably substantially lower than 20%.

Ah okay makes sense.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Hammond was great, not great enough for that knee jerk reaction contract and trading lehner.

Countdown0

Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Hammond was great, not great enough for that knee jerk reaction contract and trading lehner.

To be fair, Lehner was stagnating here.

Andy got injured for a week and a bit, and Robin pretty much carried the team while Andy was out. Then Andy comes back while Lehner is the hottest goalie in the league, and they swap Andy in right away instead of letting the hot, young goalie take the ball and run with it. Probably killed his confidence. Pretty much told Robin that no matter how well he played, Andy was our number one anyway.

I don't think Lehner would be a starter here, because when he proved he could be, he still got hooked out of the goal anyway.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
To be fair, Lehner was stagnating here.

Andy got injured for a week and a bit, and Robin pretty much carried the team while Andy was out. Then Andy comes back while Lehner is the hottest goalie in the league, and they swap Andy in right away instead of letting the hot, young goalie take the ball and run with it. Probably killed his confidence. Pretty much told Robin that no matter how well he played, Andy was our number one anyway.

I don't think Lehner would be a starter here, because when he proved he could be, he still got hooked out of the goal anyway.

This right here was the biggest thing that pissed me off with senators hockey, kid was first star of the week, and had very few bad games in his career prior, then our dumbass coach at the time sits him. Lehner himself said he was never the same after that.

Countdown0

Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
This right here was the biggest thing that pissed me off with senators hockey, kid was first star of the week, and had very few bad games in his career prior, then our dumbass coach at the time sits him. Lehner himself said he was never the same after that.

Agreed.

I love Andy, he's great and has been our best player many games since we got him (including his first game with us). But when a kid in the first half of his 20s comes in and wrecks it, you leave him in. Show him you've got some faith in him. Cultivate that talent, don't suppress it.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I like how he just outright refused to follow his bosses request to report to Bingo. That's generally going to be a factor in you losing your job, Andrew.

He had a great run with lots of memories but never did I think during it that Ottawa somehow had found some franchise goalie out of no where. He is a decent goalie and I'm sure he'll land somewhere soon enough

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere

Honestly, I was really hoping they would hang on to Lehner but it probably wouldn't have been a great thing for the locker-room had he stuck around here. I think he made it known that he wanted to be a starting goalie in this league badly and the team just didn't have any reason to give it to him here with Anderson still playing at a consistently high level. It would have just become a distraction if he started sulking and had a bad attitude at the same time. It's probably for the best that he left. He's the man now in Buffalo, so let's see how that works out for them long term

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
As a backup, there really was no good reason to sign Hammond for more than 1 year or in a worse case scenario 2. Even with the good run he was still an unproven older mediocre AHL goalie who likely just got hot and no one would have given him more than that if he didn't sign here. That was the one issue I always had with Murray where he would sign guys to longer than needed extensions with only one good stretch under their belt. Greening is another example of overpayment term wise.

In the case of Hammond it was Wamsley who called him the "real deal" and that may have been the driving force behind him getting such a good contract both in term and dollars for a backup with so little NHL experience.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think they've wanted to get out of this contract for quite a while - nearly since the day it was signed. It would be fantastic if he were claimed but it seems unlikely, especially given that he has another season on his ticket after this one.

Refusing a conditioning stint - which is strange, I don't understand the reasoning behind that - likely didn't do anything to endear him to management here either.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I don't really mind moving Lehner because goalies are a dime a dozen... It be nice though if we had something in the system since we don't have a 2nd till 2019 and I'd rather not drop a 1st to replace Anderson.

It's disappointing that the club has not put a richer goaltending pipeline in place during Andersons tenure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad