Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
They need to rest the guy at some point. I think he hits the win record in the next few weeks then gets some heavy rest.

tnsn78

China Bolt
Nov 7, 2017
Time to give the kid some rest. We need a refreshed starting goalie more than the (possible) home advantage in ECF. And if Vasi is on, it doesn't matter who we play in the first round.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Hes really going to be our ticket to the big show I think. If we get by Boston or Pittsburgh its going to be because of Vasi. I think our D is good but there is amazing talent in our opponents and they are going to get chances regardless. If he can get dialed in for these playoffs then I really like our chances.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
His game has been really rough over the last few months, but the whole team has been rough. If this team can regain even half of what they were to start the season, I don't honestly think there's a team in the league that can take 4 of 7 from TB.

That's a really big "if" though, at this point.

I like his attitude. That's a winner.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I say let him rest both games of this mini road trip. Then he can play what should be a laid back game against Arizona when the team gets back to Tampa. That would give him 5 days off to rest. Hell, I'd even be ok with not dressing him and rolling with Domingue and Budaj for those two games.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Then I'd be more concerned for Vasi if he can't handle playing an athletic style at age 23.

Literally every goalie goes through a midseason slump, we underestimate how gruelling the season is on goaltenders. Look at Andersen last night and the slump he's on. Vasi's slump has been longer but it's also his first full season. I'm not worried about him long term.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Some insight from a former goalie.
Brent Johnson (@JohnnyGoalie12) | Twitter

Brent Johnson said:
Opinion- For those concerned... Braden Holtby is an excellent, top/tiered NHL starting goalie! One thing I’ve been saying for some time now is that in today’s game, with the incredible speed, pace and chaos, starting goalies get more fatigued than ever before.

The constant pressure of having to be fully prepared night-in and night-out, has a wearing effect on ones body and mind. Since 2013/14 Braden has started 298 games (approx. 17,800 minutes.) That’s a hell of a lot of time! I don’t care who you are.

What I’m saying is that there are boundaries for what a persons body and mind can endure. Note: it’s also more noticeable when a goalie is off his game in comparison to a forward or defenseman.

Mid-season fatigue happens to goalies all around the league, not just here in DC. A goalie will rarely tell a reporter that they are exhausted or express this sentiment w/ the coach when asked. They will just keep strumming along, because that is what they are expected to do.

Some starting goalies get away with playing sub-par games down the stretch because their respective teams get the job done in front of them. Therefore the from the outside, the goalie keeps winning and the people in power keep them playing and playing...

Getting back to Braden, who in the past few years has changed his game (for the better, might I add) from that of a radical game, to a more efficient and detailed game. But in the past month or so, I have seen him make mistakes that I haven’t seen him make all season...

His puck handling and depth thru traffic (or lack there-of) have not been as sharp as they were in December. Which leads me to believe that he may very well be low on petrol. Also, this can put stress on his confidence and self reliance.

If what I’ve read is correct and coach Trotz is looking to go with (the very capable) Grubauer a little more down the stretch, it is all positive. It’s positive for Holtby, for Grubauer and for the Caps heading into the playoff race.

There are reports out that Andrei Vasilevskiy (55 starts and counting) is tired and I’m not surprised. Many former cohorts of mine have expressed to me the feeling of being totally drained numerous times throughout my career. Sometimes looking totally defeated doing so.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that it’s easy to be a forward or d-man, cause I’m not. It’s just a totally different mentality. A goalie has to be locked in for 60+ minutes, following the puck every square inch on the ice surface.

Note: a goalie, especially during the peak of his career, doesn’t just forget how to stop a puck. The body is just reacting in unusual ways because the mind is weary. Coaches around the league should take notice when they start to see a pattern of uneven play.

If the coaching staff can afford to manage their tenders (especially if you have two capable G’s, & most do!) throughout the season, their squad will be better for it in the long run. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. You don’t win anything in December or January.

In closing, it does take an army to win in this great game of ours. But for the Capitals, a healthy and rested Braden Holtby can only help them in their playoff bid.

Mjtm77

Aug 31, 2013
Vasy comes out and says he is fatigued. Why isn’t he being rested, will he be rested at all?
What is the coaches reasoning?

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Vasy comes out and says he is fatigued. Why isn’t he being rested, will he be rested at all?
What is the coaches reasoning?
Recent comments from Coop lead me to believe that they want Vasy to kind of play through it. Sort of a "Man up, kid" situation. I don't necessarily disagree with the approach, if that's what they're doing. The playoffs are going to be way more emotionally and mentally grueling. He'll either be up to it or he won't.

Not that I'd be opposed to resting him, mind you, I just tend to agree with the general vibe I get from Coop, which is that we can't really coddle Vasy anymore. He's our guy now. Besides, everyone's fatigued this time of the year. Coop looks like he hasn't slept in weeks.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think you want to rest him without rusting him. Hopefully Domingue gets the starts against Arizona and the Rangers we expect.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Frickin’ goalies man. We’re gonna lose to Arizona because dom “can’t stay focused when he plays so infrequently”.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Its all well and good keeping on playing him to get him out of the rust, but to work him too much isn't going to help either, doesnt help when the team let him face mostly unto 40 shots a night. Let him rest for the not so important games and then play him against Boston, we sure are going to need him in the play offs the way we have been playing recently.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I dont want to sound like a broken record but is it possible that he is taking his foot off the gas too? I know he said hes fatigued but that doesnt mean he doesnt want to play. Maybe they think instead of taking you off the ice and resting you, we will play you and you can "rest" in that you still play but you are playing at 50-75%. Because when hes on he looks like Hasek out there and was soooo good early this year.

My 2 possibilities for why our team doesnt look dominant anymore. They took their foot off the gas and are just playing when they "need" to. Saving for the playoffs. Weve explained why they would do this and other past successful teams have done it too. OR this is a result of a long grueling NHL season. Guys get banged up, fatigued, and other teams learn more about how to beat you. My thought is that we are somewhere in between with a more realistic pendulum swinging one way more than the other. Question is which one? We wont know until we get to the playoffs. Cant let guys outwork you there or you will be out quick. We will definitely need Vasi either way that pendulum swings. Hope he can get that game back we saw that was so dominant early in the year. I just remember how pissed our team looked early in the year. They were not happy they missed the playoffs. Its time they get pissed again. Redemption time!

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
So what happened? No confidence? Fatigued?

I know our D hasn't been helping but you still gotta make that extra save .

I remember Bishop would let in one or two stinkers then shut it down and make that extra save to keep us in the game or win us the game.

Vasi...well its the opposite. He lets in that extra one or two and the team loses all confidence and shuts down.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Probably fatigued and as a result playing worse and as a result less confident.
I would probably let him rest all but one or two of the remainding games.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
32572091-EC7D-4BCD-B331-CF394F849206.gif

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Probably fatigued and as a result playing worse and as a result less confident.
I would probably let him rest all but one or two of the remainding games.
We have what 3 games left?

Boston (Tues)- I expect they'll play Vasi
Buffalo (Fri?)- one of Dom or Vasi
Carolina (Sat)- Who ever didn't start friday.

I'd rather just rest Vasi till friday and then again till playoffs

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
We have what 3 games left?

Boston (Tues)- I expect they'll play Vasi
Buffalo (Fri?)- one of Dom or Vasi
Carolina (Sat)- Who ever didn't start friday.

I'd rather just rest Vasi till friday and then again till playoffs

Thought we had more games left, I suppose Coop will put him against BOS and BUF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad