Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
I will be the first to post this...

Was not a fan of trading Bishop, loved Ben and the intangibles he brought to the team. Wanted Vasy traded for some defensive help and to resign Bishop long term.

Since Vasy has taken the #1 Spot he has been nothing short of stellar.....eating crow and glad to do so each and every game...hopefully he keeps it up

Last edited:

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Some of the Vasy criticism from "fans" on this board was straight up embarrassing. I'm talking blaming him for every goal scored (even if they weren't bad) and other stuff too. Hopefully everyone can eat some crow.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I was always in the keep Vasy train but you got to give him at least a full season as a starter to show what he can do. Also I don't want to rub it in everyones faces even if I happen to be correct.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
All we have to do is pull up a certain thread and hunt those people down. I demand the eating of crow!

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Let me know when we win a cup with him... i'll go less than that, let me know when he has a full season as starter. Kid shows potential and has had great games, he's also had garbage games. Lets wait till the end of next season

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Bishop was 5 - 0 with 6 goals against and got us 10 out of 10 points in those games. Vasilevskiy is 4 - 0 -1 with 7 goals against and got us 9 out of 10 points in his last 5. It's obvious we got rid of the wrong goalie, that 1 more goal against and less point is the reason we are on the outside looking in. Maybe in 4 or 5 years Vasilevskiy will finally be good enough to have a 5- 0 stretch against only 2 playoff teams but he's clearly not ready. By the time he is our window will be closed, the 3mil in savings to go with Vasilevskiy isn't going to fix this team while having identical goaltending. You won't see me eating crow anytime soon.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Sign me up if he does this for 60 games next year

Pretty much. He's done great since Bishop left but that's 4 games or less than 1/10 of a full season. The difference between an elite goalie and a bad one isn't the ability to have great performances. It's the ability to consistently perform at that level for ~60 games per season. It's entirely possible that Vasy can do that next season but this short stretch isn't proof of that.

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
Nothing to gloat about but the kid has been solid. Simply acknowledging this as I've been a huge Vasy critic this season. Here to him keeping to make me eat crow

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
Let me know when we win a cup with him... i'll go less than that, let me know when he has a full season as starter. Kid shows potential and has had great games, he's also had garbage games. Lets wait till the end of next season

Agreed he has had garbage games and as big of a Bishop fan I am, when did we win a cup with him...I'm just giving Vasy his due since Ben has been dealt

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The wild game Vasy stepped up and took control of the net. This in no way means that he will not have some struggles he is just entering his prime. His best years if he continues to improve are 3 or 4 years from now. Headed in the right direction but it is premature to think long term he will play every game like the wild game.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Vasi is still going to have struggles (and I'm sure the board will jump down his throat again when he does), but it's nice to see him having the success I knew he is capable of. Still way too early for this thread. Wait until the midpoint of next season.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I honestly expected him to crap the bed more. Not that I'm not happy with his latest performances though.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
His raw save% numbers are starting to look pretty good. .917 is a solid number, especially for his age.

I wonder what his QS% is though. Because it seems like he's either a wall or swiss cheese back there, and no inbetween.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I knew he would bounce back, as most of the goals he was allowing in his "bad stretch" were not his fault. He is so technically sound, has good athleticism, and is one of the most flexible goalies around, in addition to being very powerful at moving across the net. The rebound control will likely always be an issue, but it is not as horrid as it was last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad