Confirmed Signing with Link: Andrei Mironov in Colorado

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Why was he in the AHL? I see he has played ten games in the NHL. What role was he expected to play with Colorado and in which way did he fail?

He did not play very well, at least not at a level that would warrant consistent ice time. Maybe he would have done better in a different situation, but we will likely never know. I do think there was a distinct benefit for him to play in the AHL if he was not getting consistent NHL TOI. He could learn to adapt and develop his game, which seems reasonable to expect since he had no experience playing hockey in NA.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Saw the guy with San Antonio and didn't even know he was on the ice...

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He isn’t NHL ready/wasn’t good.

The Avalanche came into the year with a plethora of question marks on defense. He had his opportunity but didn’t run with it.

Even with injuries to three of Colorado’s six regular defensemen, Mironov couldn’t get back in the line up.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He was a healthy scratch in San Antonio the other night. It isn’t like he was being unfairly held back by the Avs. He just wasn’t ready yet.

But he made sure to strike that match on the way out. Hope he likes the KHL as much as he says. You don’t want to give an NHL GM a reason to pass you over if you aren’t a can’t miss player.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Good to see the same old KHL trolls coming out from under the bridge to blow something way out of proportion again.

Mirnonov simply wasn't very good and refused to put in the effort to get better. Enjoy the inferior KHL I guess. :laugh:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Honestly, the only part I disagree with is him being misled. He got first crack at the big club and was given a fair adjustment period. He simply got outperformed by other players.

I do tend to agree that the AHL is hard for players coming overseas if you aren't a top prospect. We've seen articles and reports from prospects with different organizations that the AHL offers little guidance to fringe players.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I'm sad it didn't work out but it was clear he wasn't ready for the top league yet and wasn't too happy playing in the AHL, so... it's best for everyone to part ways. wish him good luck back in Russia. I hoped he would at least be our new Ryan Wilson but nope. :(

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
#Mironov to SovSport: There are many good/positive remarks about #NHL in Russia. The fact is that not everything is ideal or great in #NHL. I can name many "pluses" where #KHL is better than #NHL. #Avs

"I can talk about this for hours. A lot of things accumulated during the season. But you should me understand correctly. I’m Russian. I’m used to Russia. I grow up playing for Dynamo Moscow and I like that organization much better. It’s just my opinion. For example, at Dynamo we had four masseuses for 30 players, in Denver we had only one. A 70-year-old man."

Real quote

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thought he was too good for the AHL and refused to play his game down there and improve NA style, he just sulked and pouted when down there and didn't try. You can even see it in his quotes, he knew he had nothing to learn in the AHL. He sure did, though.

I'm not exactly sad to see him go.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Im not saying Mironov’s opinion don’t hold any weight, but i don’t think it’s a coincidence it always seem to be the guys who don’t make the team that seem to pump up KHL’s tires.

It’s a different life when you’re a respected player with the big club, regardless of where you play.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
"I can talk about this for hours. A lot of things accumulated during the season. But you should me understand correctly. I’m Russian. I’m used to Russia. I grow up playing for Dynamo Moscow and I like that organization much better. It’s just my opinion. For example, at Dynamo we had four masseuses for 30 players, in Denver we had only one. A 70-year-old man."

Real quote

I guess he didn't get the happy ending he wanted.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Honestly, the only part I disagree with is him being misled. He got first crack at the big club and was given a fair adjustment period. He simply got outperformed by other players.

I do tend to agree that the AHL is hard for players coming overseas if you aren't a top prospect. We've seen articles and reports from prospects with different organizations that the AHL offers little guidance to fringe players.

I can see him feeling misled by the “good job” culture in NA despite the obvious issues with his play. Especially with the lack of direction on what he needed to improve and the call up only to eat nachos.

Though that’s more a cultural miscommunication than really being misled

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I can see him feeling misled by the “good job” culture in NA despite the obvious issues with his play. Especially with the lack of direction on what he needed to improve and the call up only to eat nachos.

Though that’s more a cultural miscommunication than really being misled

I always assumed teams were open and honest with players cutting their teeth in the minors. Maybe mix in a few "you're doing great" comments, but giving them specific guidance on areas that need improvement.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think its very possible he could develop into a solid bottom pairing defensive guy in the NHL in a few years. However he isn't there yet and pretty clearly wanted nothing to do with the AHL. The Avs even went out of their way at times to keep him up in the big leagues but he was never better than any of the guys above him. Its very possible the KHL is the best place for him and I wish him all the best. Maybe he'll come back in a few years and be ready to play at that level.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
There are some rumors in Russia about Dyblenko. Curious what is the problem? Russian journalist said he can not publish news now, because Dyblenko is under contract. Must be serious ... and bad.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Real quote
"Well Andrei, there's a much higher standard in the NHL for our masseuses. We don't bring in some Joe Schlub off the street. Gustavo spent years honing his craft in the masseuse farm system and now he's the best at what he does."

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Real quote

Haha the quality of Russian Hookers in the NHL is also far inferior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad