Proposal: Andersson to the Oilers

Ledge And Dairy

Look at the offer. The Oilers' surge up the standings has devalued the pick. It's now a contender's 1st instead of a bubble 1st. Broberg is not an NHL regular D+5. He's a reclamation project, not a notable trade asset, imo. In the trade, Ceci is a neutral value cap balancer with that extra year; the point would be for Calgary to extract value at the deadline in 2025. Savoie is more contract slot than prospect at this time.

Here are the top defense rentals in recent years:

Savard - Columbus recieved a 1st and 3rd

Chiarot - 1st + 4th + B-prospect (recent 3rd)

Lindholm (Trade & Sign) - 1st + 2 2nds + Vaakanainen; Anaheim took back 50% of a John Moore multi-year cap dump in addition to the retention

Orlov - Traded with Hathaway, returning a 1st + 2nd + 3rd; Washington took back an expiring Craig Smith as a cap balancer in addition to the retention

Gavrikov - Traded with Korpisalo, returning a conditional 1st (2 2nds if the Kings missed the playoffs) and 3rd; Columbus had to take back Quick as a cap balancer

Andersson is certaintly in that class of player, partciularly with his handedness. A 1st and an early Day 2 pick is a given in this era.
You are forgetting the #1 comparable. Chychrun, a #1 making less than 5M and under contract for 2 more years. Was traded for a mid-high 1st, 2nd that could become a 1st if the team sneaks into the playoffs and goes on a run like Florida did (basically insurance), and another 2nd. On top of that Chychrun has demanded a trade forcing Arizona's hand before his clause kicked in. Calgary is under no such duress with Andersson.

Imo that mid-high 1st alone is worth more than OP's entire package.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Maybe not to a division rival but it would be in Calgary's best interest to blow it up, and Andersson on his current contract would bring back a big return.
It would pure stupidity to tear it down the studs to that degree. Trade Andersson and we’d be looking for an Andersson for another 5 years after that

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Is Andersson really all that much better offensively? Ekholm's skills in that regard are really underrated. At ES the two have relatively comparable numbers especially if you look at post trade numbers. Andersson would not be getting much pp time with the Oilers. On the defensive side I'd personally give a big edge to Ekholm.
Yes Andersson is much better offensively. You can't compare a players worst year with another players best. Use 3 year averages. The distance between their defense is less than the distance between their offense. Andersson has better defensive metrics in 3 of the last 5 seasons actually.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
It would pure stupidity to tear it down the studs to that degree. Trade Andersson and we’d be looking for an Andersson for another 5 years after that
He'll be 30 when his contract ends, with no guarantee he re-signs. Do you see Calgary being a contender in 3 years?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Maybe not to a division rival but it would be in Calgary's best interest to blow it up, and Andersson on his current contract would bring back a big return.

I really have no idea why people keep saying this. Like they can't win the cup this year so their only logical option is get rid of all their good players and suck for 6 years so they can play prospect pokemon like all the league's perennial bottom feeders.

Well run professional sports teams don't operate this way.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
He'll be 30 when his contract ends, with no guarantee he re-signs. Do you see Calgary being a contender in 3 years?
If he’s not going to re sign then they can move him out like they’re doing with Hanifin now. I don’t know what this team will look like in three years but I’m sure as shit not going to trade Andersson for a mixed bag of average futures just because I think they’ll be bad

Like if a team blew their socks off with a combination of elite prospects and picks I’m sure they’d listen but that’s not what this is lol

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I really have no idea why people keep saying this. Like they can't win the cup this year so their only logical option is get rid of all their good players and suck for 6 years so they can play prospect pokemon like all the league's perennial bottom feeders.

Championship teams are built through the draft, and elite players are almost always at the top of the draft.

Be real for a second, do you see the current Flames core being a Cup contender?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Flames will have more cap space than most pretty soon here and already have some interesting prospects in the pipeline. The next two years will probably suck on the ice but after that, who knows?

Forecasting the next 3 years isn’t too different from the next 10 with how much roster turnover there is in the NHL.

Right now, Andersson has made it clear he’d like to stay so why nuke the locker room by jumping the gun with this trade

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Championship teams are built through the draft, and elite players are almost always at the top of the draft.

Be real for a second, do you see the current Flames core being a Cup contender?

All teams are built through the draft, from the contenders right on down to the shitters. Championship teams are built by having substantially more good players than bad players. So trading all your good players for no reason other to suck is counter intuitive.

HF really seems staunch in their beliefs that a commitment to losing is the best way to build a winner, when the actual results of doing that don't suggest that at all.

TBH I couldn't even name you what the current Flames core is since they all up and left. That's OK, they'll figure out a new one, and if it includes a top 5 pick or two all the better. 'Blowing it up' and tanking should be a last resort when you have a bunch of terrible money on your cap and little in the way of organizational assets(see MTL, SJ, CHI). That's not where the Flames are.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Colorado? I mean there are more teams than Buffalo, Ottawa and the first edition of the Oilers. You don't have to run a rebuild in an incompetent fashion. We don't have a core to re-tool man. Do we have a 1D? Do we have a first line forward in any position? We possibly have the goalie. That's it. Our only 2 NHL centers are in their early to mid 30s and we don't have any other top 9 centers in the system. This isn't Vancouver sitting there with EP, Hughes, Demko and Miller.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Colorado? I mean there are more teams than Buffalo, Ottawa and the first edition of the Oilers. You don't have to run a rebuild in an incompetent fashion. We don't have a core to re-tool man. Do we have a 1D? Do we have a first line forward in any position? We possibly have the goalie. That's it. Our only 2 NHL centers are in their early to mid 30s and we don't have any other top 9 centers in the system. This isn't Vancouver sitting there with EP, Hughes, Demko and Miller.

Vegas, St Louis, Boston, Washington?

LA drafted Doughty #2 and got Kopitar at #11. Quick was in the 3rd round. That's not really a product of blowing it up. Chicago found arguably the biggest contributor to their cup success Duncan Keith in the 2nd round. Tampa's best player was found in the 2nd round and their Conn Smythe winning goalie was drafted 19th overall. Good drafting yields good talent.

I'm not going to disagree with you that the team needs more high end players. Hopefully they draft a cpl this summer, at least one in the top 10. I just don't think tearing it down to the studs and accepting losing is the correct course of action. Handing the keys to a bunch of 21-22 year olds has failed many more times than its succeeded in this league.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Uhhm yes? Ekholm hasn't broke the 40pt mark since 2018-19. Ras hit 50 two years ago and had 49 last year and is on pace to about the same this year. The gap between him and Ekholm is bigger offensively than it is defensively.
40 percent of those points came off the pp. Ekholm has never really had a similar opportunity to play as a key guy on a pp in good part because he has played on teams with a top end offensive defenseman his whole career. That said in the few minutes he has played here in Edmonton he certainly looks like he would be very effective in that regard. His ES numbers though are actually quite comparable to those of Andersson even though he has typically had a primarily defensive role. After coming to Edmonton, I doubt many would say that they were surprised to see how good he was defensively, but I think many Oiler fans would say that they were very pleasantly surprised at how strong his offensive game is.

On the defensive side statistically he has been fantastic since going to Edmonton. The guy is an absolute rock. I don't think there is a real case to be made that Andersson is close in that regard.

None of this means that I don't think Anderson has value. He does, especially with two years left on a very good deal. But today I don't see an argument that Ekholm is not the better player. You and others may disagree.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018

Not a player you trade, hold on to him longterm! Even if we rebuild, perfect player to have around to set the example!

Reactions: Double Dion

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Vegas, St Louis, Boston, Washington?

LA drafted Doughty #2 and got Kopitar at #11. Quick was in the 3rd round. That's not really a product of blowing it up. Chicago found arguably the biggest contributor to their cup success Duncan Keith in the 2nd round. Tampa's best player was found in the 2nd round and their Conn Smythe winning goalie was drafted 19th overall. Good drafting yields good talent.

I'm not going to disagree with you that the team needs more high end players. Hopefully they draft a cpl this summer, at least one in the top 10. I just don't think tearing it down to the studs and accepting losing is the correct course of action. Handing the keys to a bunch of 21-22 year olds has failed many more times than its succeeded in this league.
Seriously Vegas? That's a completely different scenario. Boston drafted #1, #2, #5 and #9 in a 7 year period.

Washington drafted #1, #4 and #5 in a 4 year period.

St. Louis is the best case study and they had a #1 and #4 OA pick along with 6 1st round picks in 3 years.

You're a good poster usually. Not making a good case here.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
40 percent of those points came off the pp. Ekholm has never really had a similar opportunity to play as a key guy on a pp in good part because he has played on teams with a top end offensive defenseman his whole career. That said in the few minutes he has played here in Edmonton he certainly looks like he would be very effective in that regard. His ES numbers though are actually quite comparable to those of Andersson even though he has typically had a primarily defensive role. After coming to Edmonton, I doubt many would say that they were surprised to see how good he was defensively, but I think many Oiler fans would say that they were very pleasantly surprised at how strong his offensive game is.

On the defensive side statistically he has been fantastic since going to Edmonton. The guy is an absolute rock. I don't think there is a real case to be made that Andersson is close in that regard.

None of this means that I don't think Anderson has value. He does, especially with two years left on a very good deal. But today I don't see an argument that Ekholm is not the better player. You and others may disagree.
Guess which of Ekholm and Andersson sees harder competition and more D zone starts? It's not who you think. I'll say it again, the defensive numbers are close. Ekholm's are worse in 3 of the last 5 years. Offensively it's not that close. Add in age and contract? Andersson is more valuable by a fair bit.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seriously Vegas? That's a completely different scenario. Boston drafted #1, #2, #5 and #9 in a 7 year period.

Washington drafted #1, #4 and #5 in a 4 year period.

St. Louis is the best case study and they had a #1 and #4 OA pick along with 6 1st round picks in 3 years.

You're a good poster usually. Not making a good case here.

Well I'm not making a case against drafting high. Or against having 1st round picks lol
so it seems you're tilting at windmills

To clarify, I'm against a tear it down to the studs trade everything not nailed down ice a roster that's basically all 25 years and under rebuild. You do that when your roster is totally devoid of talent and you have nothing in the organization prospect wise. That is not the case for the Calgary Flames.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well I'm not making a case against drafting high. Or against having 1st round picks lol
so it seems you're tilting at windmills

To clarify, I'm against a tear it down to the studs trade everything not nailed down ice a roster that's basically all 25 years and under rebuild. You do that when your roster is totally devoid of talent and you have nothing in the organization prospect wise. That is not the case for the Calgary Flames.
Our prospect pool is nothing to write home about. It's got a lot of similar qualities to our NHL roster. Some nice pieces, no high end ones and an elite goalie.

I don't disagree that you don't move everything out. You do it a bit at a time as vets are made redundant. Backlund, Coleman and Mangiapane make sense to keep for now to play the hard minutes. Andersson and Weegar too. Besides that? There's nothing else here that really helps you rebuild properly. I'd even more the aforementioned 5 players in the right deal comes along.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
All teams are built through the draft, from the contenders right on down to the shitters. Championship teams are built by having substantially more good players than bad players. So trading all your good players for no reason other to suck is counter intuitive.

HF really seems staunch in their beliefs that a commitment to losing is the best way to build a winner, when the actual results of doing that don't suggest that at all.

TBH I couldn't even name you what the current Flames core is since they all up and left. That's OK, they'll figure out a new one, and if it includes a top 5 pick or two all the better. 'Blowing it up' and tanking should be a last resort when you have a bunch of terrible money on your cap and little in the way of organizational assets(see MTL, SJ, CHI). That's not where the Flames are.
Most of the Flames best players are signed short-term, and as the team stands now, with those players they aren't in a playoff spot. You trade expiring contracts now to build towards a string future core.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Our prospect pool is nothing to write home about. It's got a lot of similar qualities to our NHL roster. Some nice pieces, no high end ones and an elite goalie.

I mean it's definitely not top 5 league wide but as far as depth goes it's in decent shape. I know you weren't big on the Honzek pick and I share that opinion. He's a project. The Flames offload their UFAs and sink in the standings I think they'll be in a good spot to pick high. Maybe with a little lottery luck they can find their future 1C because that's the piece they're missing now and have been missing for 30 years. I'm sure Conroy is aware.

If there's no lottery luck I would think about packaging two or even all three 1st rounders (assuming Hanifin is traded) to move up.

I don't disagree that you don't move everything out. You do it a bit at a time as vets are made redundant. Backlund, Coleman and Mangiapane make sense to keep for now to play the hard minutes. Andersson and Weegar too. Besides that? There's nothing else here that really helps you rebuild properly. I'd even more the aforementioned 5 players in the right deal comes along.

But what does rebuild properly mean exactly?

Onboarding young talent surrounded by quality role players that know what it takes to have success in the NHL is vital. Just throwing a bunch of sophomores and rookies into the pan is what you get when you go scorched earth and more often than not you wind up with a perennial loser.

Most of the Flames best players are signed short-term, and as the team stands now, with those players they aren't in a playoff spot. You trade expiring contracts now to build towards a string future core.

Well that's what they're doing. Lindholm has been traded, Tanev and Hanifin are likely to follow.
Does not mean at all you trade guys like Andersson just because. He likes it here, he signed long term at a bargain and I hope Conroy signs him again long term once he's up for an extension.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I mean it's definitely not top 5 league wide but as far as depth goes it's in decent shape. I know you weren't big on the Honzek pick and I share that opinion. He's a project. The Flames offload their UFAs and sink in the standings I think they'll be in a good spot to pick high. Maybe with a little lottery luck they can find their future 1C because that's the piece they're missing now and have been missing for 30 years. I'm sure Conroy is aware.

If there's no lottery luck I would think about packaging two or even all three 1st rounders (assuming Hanifin is traded) to move up.

But what does rebuild properly mean exactly?

Onboarding young talent surrounded by quality role players that know what it takes to have success in the NHL is vital. Just throwing a bunch of sophomores and rookies into the pan is what you get when you go scorched earth and more often than not you wind up with a perennial loser.

Well that's what they're doing. Lindholm has been traded, Tanev and Hanifin are likely to follow.
Does not mean at all you trade guys like Andersson just because. He likes it here, he signed long term at a bargain and I hope Conroy signs him again long term once he's up for an extension.
I agree there's depth. I just don't see a 1C, 2C, 3C, 1LW, 1RW or 1D. Those are kind of important spots. Maybe Zary or Coronato evolve into those wings, but likely not. We have a guy who projects as a good, maybe great starting goalie. We have depth. Just no game breakers. Yes, I was not a fan of the Honzek pick. Normally he would be a fine pick at that spot, I just saw lots of difference makers still on the board there. Also felt we had plenty of wings.

Rebuild properly means you add at least one or two top 5 picks. It means you look out past a this year and next horizon. Conroy has taken some steps. I like his trade with Lindholm. I just think any of us could trade the UFAs. The real skill is identifying which vet pieces insulate and support a young roster. It's certainly not all the pieces we have now. Markstrom could go, Kadri could go (if we can move him, maybe though, Monahan brought a 1st).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad