Proposal: Andersson to the Oilers

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Andersson is 27 and those 2 seasons are years on his 2nd (peak value) contract. Ekholm was about to turn 33 at the time of his trade.
I would argue that Ekholm is simply better than Andersson but that is besides the point. The reality is that Ekholm was not a rental. In fact, I think that the generic price of a rental is being significantly overstated with your comment.

And I will say again, I don't see a trade for Andersson as being at all in the cards.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I would argue that Ekholm is simply better than Andersson but that is besides the point. The reality is that Ekholm was not a rental. In fact, I think that the generic price of a rental is being significantly overstated with your comment.

And I will say again, I don't see a trade for Andersson as being at all in the cards.

Look at the offer. The Oilers' surge up the standings has devalued the pick. It's now a contender's 1st instead of a bubble 1st. Broberg is not an NHL regular D+5. He's a reclamation project, not a notable trade asset, imo. In the trade, Ceci is a neutral value cap balancer with that extra year; the point would be for Calgary to extract value at the deadline in 2025. Savoie is more contract slot than prospect at this time.

Here are the top defense rentals in recent years:

Savard - Columbus recieved a 1st and 3rd

Chiarot - 1st + 4th + B-prospect (recent 3rd)

Lindholm (Trade & Sign) - 1st + 2 2nds + Vaakanainen; Anaheim took back 50% of a John Moore multi-year cap dump in addition to the retention

Orlov - Traded with Hathaway, returning a 1st + 2nd + 3rd; Washington took back an expiring Craig Smith as a cap balancer in addition to the retention

Gavrikov - Traded with Korpisalo, returning a conditional 1st (2 2nds if the Kings missed the playoffs) and 3rd; Columbus had to take back Quick as a cap balancer

Andersson is certaintly in that class of player, partciularly with his handedness. A 1st and an early Day 2 pick is a given in this era.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Nah, that's silly. If everyone else offers a 2nd and Edmonton offers a 1st, you take the best offer.
Not silly for me. Edmonton is one top 4 D who can defend and transition away from cup favorites. I'd hope we don't give it to them.

I think you're going to end up disappointed if you're hoping for a first plus for Tanev. You might get a first if someone gets desperate but isn't the ask a 2nd right now?
I don't think Tanev is worth a 1st+ I think his value is somewhere around 2 2nd round picks or a 2nd and 3rd. Of course I had Monahan worth a late 2nd or early 3rd so what the heck do I know?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

It's debatable. Ekhlom is a better defender for sure. Andersson is better offensively for sure. Depends what you need probably. Ekholm is a better fit in Edmonton.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
Andersson would be a great upgrade on the Oilers RD !!!

Oilers Trade; 2024 1st, Broberg, Ceci, Savoie

What would it take to get Andersson from Calgary ??
Sorry Calgary is helping Vancouver not Edmonton

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Even if Edmonton gives up everything for Andersson, or Parayko, or who ever and lands the perfect top pairing RHD....you still have some glaring deficiencies on the roster that make this "all for one player" mentality, which is needed for some of the guys being targetted, all for naught.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Even if Edmonton gives up everything for Andersson, or Parayko, or who ever and lands the perfect top pairing RHD....you still have some glaring deficiencies on the roster that make this "all for one player" mentality, which is needed for some of the guys being targetted, all for naught.
There’s no such thing as a perfect team… especially in a hard cap world.

Winning the Cup is about coming together and everyone stepping up at the right time to overcome those deficiencies.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Flames won’t trade him and I’m OK with that. Not that he wouldn’t help the Oilers, it’s just that I can’t stand the guy. He’s a fake tough guy with such a punchable face.

Reactions: PuckG

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

more than that...Andersson isnt a rental he is a top pair RD with 2 more yrs left at $4.5M per...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Look at the offer. The Oilers' surge up the standings has devalued the pick. It's now a contender's 1st instead of a bubble 1st. Broberg is not an NHL regular D+5. He's a reclamation project, not a notable trade asset, imo. In the trade, Ceci is a neutral value cap balancer with that extra year; the point would be for Calgary to extract value at the deadline in 2025. Savoie is more contract slot than prospect at this time.

Here are the top defense rentals in recent years:

Savard - Columbus recieved a 1st and 3rd

Chiarot - 1st + 4th + B-prospect (recent 3rd)

Lindholm (Trade & Sign) - 1st + 2 2nds + Vaakanainen; Anaheim took back 50% of a John Moore multi-year cap dump in addition to the retention

Orlov - Traded with Hathaway, returning a 1st + 2nd + 3rd; Washington took back an expiring Craig Smith as a cap balancer in addition to the retention

Gavrikov - Traded with Korpisalo, returning a conditional 1st (2 2nds if the Kings missed the playoffs) and 3rd; Columbus had to take back Quick as a cap balancer

Andersson is certaintly in that class of player, partciularly with his handedness. A 1st and an early Day 2 pick is a given in this era.
The firsts in both years would have similar value.

Broberg has already played 79 NHL games and played fairly regularly last year. He is not an NHL regular this year mostly because the Oilers left side is set. He could easily be in Kulak's slot right now if the Oilers decide to move on. Moreover, due to the Oilers cap situation they have Regardless, he is certainly a lot more valuable than Schaefer at the time of the Ekholm deal. His play in the AHL has been excellent.

Broberg is 6th in his draft year for defensemen in terms of NHL game played. Arguably the only two gusy from that draft who have established more of an NHL presence are Sieder and Byram

Ceci is actually a tradable asset. His cap hit is consistent with a #4 RHD but he is capable of playing above that if needed. In this trade he might not carry a lot of value but nor did Barrie and at that time Barrie was playing on the Oilers third pairing while Ceci has been 1A/1B RHD even though he is much more suited as a second pairing guy.

So as I said this is more than what they gave up for Ekholm.

If Andersson were a rental I suspect he gets a 1st and a second. But there is no way I trade Broberg Ceci and Savoie for a 2nd if I was running the Oilers.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's debatable. Ekhlom is a better defender for sure. Andersson is better offensively for sure. Depends what you need probably. Ekholm is a better fit in Edmonton.
Is Andersson really all that much better offensively? Ekholm's skills in that regard are really underrated. At ES the two have relatively comparable numbers especially if you look at post trade numbers. Andersson would not be getting much pp time with the Oilers. On the defensive side I'd personally give a big edge to Ekholm.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Must be something in the water if Edmonton fans think the Flames would trade them Andersson.

There's no combination of picks or prospects in the Oilers barren farm system that could make this happen.
This kind of superstition that GMs don't want to trade in their own division is somewhat silly though.

Either one thinks the package of picks and players is worth it or it isn't.

It's a decent package as a starting point but Calgary could probably do better.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
This kind of superstition that GMs don't want to trade in their own division is somewhat silly though.
Within division sure but the Flames and Oilers have always been bitter rivals and rarely make a trade. There have only been 3 trades between the teams ever and the first one took almost 30 years.

2010: Staios to the Flames for Aaron Johnson and a 3rd round pick.
Meh overall but a waste of a 3rd round pick IMO.
2013: Smid and Oliver Roy to the Flames for Brossoit and Horak.
I would have liked this trade if we didn't find out later that Smid had a neck injury.
2019: Lucic for Neal, garbage contract for garbage contract.

I'd prefer we send a dman somewhere else even if it's for a little less. Nothing good has ever come from a Flames/Oilers trade and probably never will.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Either one thinks the package of picks and players is worth it or it isn't.

It's a decent package as a starting point but Calgary could probably do better.

This isn't simply divisional trading like the Flames and Canucks; it's way more than that. It's like the Flyers and Penguins, or Devils and Rangers making a blockbuster deal with each other. How often does that happen?

I miss when rivalries used to mean something. I mean, I get that as the sport becomes more corporatized, the personal and emotional aspects will be lost until all that's left is the shallow empty husk of of so called a sporting event where fans basically cheer for which billionaire owner can more more money. We've already seen this over the years as everything's shifted towards a more business orientated mindset. Like the loss of line brawls because the league doesn't want to be associated with that anymore. Rivalries have basically followed suit. It's sad.

But anyway, no it's not a good starting point, and there's no probably about it; Flames could do easily better. It's frankly a pretty garbage offer of spare parts for top pairing RH defensemen signed for another 2 years at an absolute bargain cap hit that the team isn't even remotely interested in moving. That last part is key; the price point for players available for trade and those not are miles apart.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I can't see the Flames making him available in a trade. Tanev makes more sense for them to deal.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Maybe Savard from Montreal (50% retained) for Ceci (cap dump) +

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Oilers could offer McDavid for Andersson and the trade would still be blocked by Andersson’s NTC

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Is Andersson really all that much better offensively? Ekholm's skills in that regard are really underrated. At ES the two have relatively comparable numbers especially if you look at post trade numbers. Andersson would not be getting much pp time with the Oilers. On the defensive side I'd personally give a big edge to Ekholm.

Uhhm yes? Ekholm hasn't broke the 40pt mark since 2018-19. Ras hit 50 two years ago and had 49 last year and is on pace to about the same this year. The gap between him and Ekholm is bigger offensively than it is defensively.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018

Sounds like "Stuff we can lose vs your good player" typer of deal.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Pretty much any team would beat that horrendous offer. I'd do Willander, Lekkerimaki and a 1st+ if he were actually available.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
You're delusional if you think Calgary is trading Andersson. Especially to Edmonton.
Maybe not to a division rival but it would be in Calgary's best interest to blow it up, and Andersson on his current contract would bring back a big return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad