Speculation: Andersen in Vezina Convo?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
No it isn't. Take into account Freddy this week alone. He has over a 3 GAA, but he also has a +.930 sv%.

.930 sv% would lead the league, where as a 3 GAA would make him one of the worst starters in the league.
sure cherry pick on one week. if you look throughout the whole season, it would matter.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
sure cherry pick on one week. if you look throughout the whole season, it would matter.

No it doesn't. If a goalie was pounded for 50 shots a game for 60 games and they always saved 47. Is he a good or bad goalie?

.940 sv%
3.00 GAA

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Very true. But that's why I think GSAA should be the heaviest stat they invest in.

Because it's a counting stat it not only includes workload, but also how good/bad you were when taking into account the danger (and how often) you should be saving goals.

Vas would win today, no question. I don't think him or Rask deserve top-5 consideration though.

eh, it's tough to have 100% faith in something like expected save percentage at this point.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
No it doesn't. If a goalie was pounded for 50 shots a game for 60 games and they always saved 47. Is he a good or bad goalie?

.940 sv%
3.00 GAA
he isn't gonna be pounded for 50 shots every game. thats absurd. he will have games where he faces few shots and games where he faces many more shots

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
eh, it's tough to have 100% faith in something like expected save percentage at this point.

It's better than looking at pure sv% as it doesnt take into account how good a team like Boston is at limiting HD chances..

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's better than looking at pure sv% as it doesnt take into account how good a team like Boston is at limiting HD chances..

In theory, yes it's better, but I'm not sure it's there yet in practice, especially on the penalty kill.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
In theory, yes it's better, but I'm not sure it's there yet in practice, especially on the penalty kill.

The penalty kill does skew it, but it also gives huge props to some of the better PK goalies (like Andersen) which are undoubtedly deserved.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
I have always weighted save percentage way higher than GAA.
Would you say a goalie who faces 20 shots a game with a 3 GAA is as good as a goalie who faces 40 shots a game with a 3 GAA? No, not even REMOTELY close. That's why I think its a terrible stat.
A 930% save goalie is a 930% save goalie regardless of his chances against. (assuming a fair amount of starts to judge from)

Reactions: Garthinater

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I have always weighted save percentage way higher than GAA.
Would you say a goalie who faces 20 shots a game with a 3 GAA is as good as a goalie who faces 40 shots a game with a 3 GAA? No, not even REMOTELY close. That's why I think its a terrible stat.
A 930% save goalie is a 930% save goalie regardless of his chances against. (assuming a fair amount of starts to judge from)
so a goalie who has a gaa of 1.00 with a .950 save percentage is the same as a goalie with a gaa of 3.00 with a .950 save percentage?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
That is exactly what I'm saying, because the Goalie with the 3 gaa faced over triple the amount of scoring chances. He has no affect on the amount of chances against, only the rate on which he can stop them.
You could easily argue that the goalie with the 3 GAA is actually better, as the likelihood of the other Goalie being able to maintain their ridiculous SV% under triple the workload is probably not all that great.

I've always found GAA more team-oriented, and SV% more Goalie-oriented. Like you said, the Goalie has no control over how many shots are peppered at them - so if your Goalie's GAA is artificially high simply because of the ridiculous volume of shots they face, it's up to the team to help lower that GAA by limiting the number of shots their Goalie has to face on a nightly basis.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Winning the Vezina doesn't mean you have to be perfect week after week. Look at Vasilevsiky, he was involved in his own 7-4 win the other night.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
With how shitty hfboards claims the leafs defence is...Andersen is the runaway candidate for vezina and Hart.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm just happy to have a goalie wherein you can actually use the word Vezina and not solicit uncontrollable laughter. He's on the fringe of that discussion and that's fine by me.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Top 3 are fairly locked in right now, IMO.

Vasy, Rask and Rinne

Andersen is right there at #4/5 with Helle. A top 5 goalie is fantastic.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Vasy, Rask and Rinne

Sounds about right. Although, if not for his play in October, he would be right there in the conversation for the Vezina at this point of the season.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
He'll be a nominee based on comparable SV percentage and wins, but that early season slump that dragged his GAA will bring him down.

There are no nominees. There is one vote where the voters can vote vote for anyone eligible for the award. The player with the most votes wins the award. The other two names given as finalists are just the players with the second and third most votes.

The use of the term "nominee" implies a second round of voting where only the nominees can be voted for.

Now I apologize if you what you were saying was that Freddy would end up in second or third in the Vezins voting but wouldn’t finish first because of the early season slump.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There are no nominees. There is one vote where the voters can vote vote for anyone eligible for the award. The player with the most votes wins the award. The other two names given as finalists are just the players with the second and third most votes.

The use of the term "nominee" implies a second round of voting where only the nominees can be voted for.

Now I apologize if you what you were saying was that Freddy would end up in second or third in the Vezins voting but wouldn’t finish first because of the early season slump.
Just to clarify, its a ranked ballot 1 through 3.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Vasy, Rask and Rinne

I agree that that's the top 5. And on paper those goalies have much, much better defenses in front of them. That's gotta be a factor as well.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad