Player Discussion Anders Nilsson

boogeybendo

Dec 18, 2017
Much better goalie than markstrom. I’ve been saying it since we got him. Keep him.
why do you think he is better than Markstrom? other than his good showing at the world championships.

I guess you could have thought that before last season from past performance, but what about last season? without the start he had, his numbers would have been BAD.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jimbo should be calling every NHL team with a question mark in goal....and there's lots of them....needs to strike while the iron is hot....at least Nilsson should be able to get back the fourth rounder he gave up in the Pouliot deal.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
No team will pay anything of value for Nilsson despite his showing at the WC.

He's proven to be substandard in the NHL with the exception of one season, which coincidently duped this organization into giving him his current lucrative deal.

Unless there's another Benning out there in charge of a team, I doubt there's any trade to be made without taking on a similar bad contract.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

He's proven to be substandard in the NHL with the exception of one season, which coincidently duped this organization into giving him his current lucrative deal.

Unless there's another Benning out there in charge of a team, I doubt there's any trade to be made without taking on a similar bad contract.
Yeah cause 2 year 2.5 million per is suchhhhh a lucrative deal. Enough with the stupid Benning hate

Reactions: Zippgunn

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Why would a team give up anything for Nilsson with that contract, when they could sign an equal or better goalie for cheaper from the free agency market? Especially to be their backup or potential #3 on the depth chart.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

While I do agree with the notion that Nilsson isn't a hot commodity, his value will likely never be any higher then it is now.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why would a team give up anything for Nilsson with that contract, when they could sign an equal or better goalie for cheaper from the free agency market? Especially to be their backup or potential #3 on the depth chart.

Well it's about getting the player that you want. If there isn't a team that really likes him then nobody is going to trade for him. If there is a team that likes him, they may trade for him. But ya, I don't see him having much trade value.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Nilly will do just as well as he did in the WC if he's on a contender. Thing is, he's not on a contender, and has never played for a contender.

On a good team he will be sheltered and not asked to do to much - like make a lot of lateral stops on flow plays.

If we keep him I predict he continues to be streaky and not a favourite of Green's, especially if he doesn't overhaul his practice habits. Green doesn't understand what Nilly's method in practice it and just reads it as laziness, whereas Nilly sees it as the best way to be consistent with his game.

If we let him go it will be selling high. But Demko is not NHL ready. I know you all think he is NHL ready, but he is not. His skating alone probably needs another year of work.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Nilly will do just as well as he did in the WC if he's on a contender. Thing is, he's not on a contender, and has never played for a contender.

On a good team he will be sheltered and not asked to do to much - like make a lot of lateral stops on flow plays.

If we keep him I predict he continues to be streaky and not a favourite of Green's, especially if he doesn't overhaul his practice habits. Green doesn't understand what Nilly's method in practice it and just reads it as laziness, whereas Nilly sees it as the best way to be consistent with his game.

If we let him go it will be selling high. But Demko is not NHL ready. I know you all think he is NHL ready, but he is not. His skating alone probably needs another year of work.

He did pretty well in Buffalo who were not contenders. He did well at the start of the season here. The potential is there. He just needs to find consistency, which is very often the difference between a true #1 goalie and someone who is not.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
So I liked the signing. Thought he was great to start the season and then something happened to him and I thought the guy's confidence was shot. He was a huge question mark going into next season. Then came the WHC. Now I am expecting a goalie capable of splitting duties with Markstorm. Am I the only one?

No. I think Nilly is good. But the team would have to change the way it plays to shut off east-west chances. This D can barely get back into position and avoid getting turnstiled on the initial rush. Asking them to play in a way that will be advantageous for Nilly's style is probably asking too much.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
He did pretty well in Buffalo who were not contenders. He did well at the start of the season here. The potential is there. He just needs to find consistency, which is very often the difference between a true #1 goalie and someone who is not.

Yes that's true. I'm basing this on my eye test, since his overall stats are just not very convincing even if you include Buffalo. I believe that was also the year Lehner had an amazing Sv% as well.

Looked it up. Yes, and Lehner also had good numbers the year before when Chad Johnson also looked good (which is how he got that Flames contract). Unfortunately that means all the regular goalies under Bylsma did well save percentage wise, which undermines Nilly's good stats. He didn't outperform either Johnson or Lehner, which to me suggests a team effect.

The point is, Nilly won't be finding consistency on an inconsistent team. Although I like him overall, He's not SO good that he can outplay the team's deficiencies. If he stays here, expect more of the same compared to last year.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes that's true. I'm basing this on my eye test, since his overall stats are just not very convincing even if you include Buffalo. I believe that was also the year Lehner had an amazing Sv% as well.

Looked it up. Yes, and Lehner also had good numbers the year before when Chad Johnson also looked good (which is how he got that Flames contract). Unfortunately that means all the regular goalies under Bylsma did well save percentage wise, which undermines Nilly's good stats. He didn't outperform either Johnson or Lehner, which to me suggests a team effect.

The point is, Nilly won't be finding consistency on an inconsistent team. Although I like him overall, He's not SO good that he can outplay the team's deficiencies. If he stays here, expect more of the same compared to last year.

I think with Nilsson he hasn't established himself as a capable NHL backup. He's more or less be a guy who played well enough to seemingly contend for the #1 spot but couldn't grab it/hang onto it. He did that in Edmonton and Buffalo.

In terms of the comparables, Chad Johnson actually played really well in Calgary. No problems with his performance if he was your team's backup goalie. In fact, I think many were in favour of signing him last summer.

Nilsson was never on the same team as Johnson so he didn't have the opportunity to outperform Johnson. As for outperforming Lehner, some say he did. But at the end of the day, Lehner is suppose to be the starter and we're talking about Nilsson as the backup.

I don't see why he can't find consistency on an inconsistent team. There's no reason why Nilsson's consistency should be based on the team he plays in front of.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Can you elaborate on this?

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I read the Kuzma article about Nilsson and what stuck out for me was a quote from Cloutier about the fact it can sometimes be underestimated how much having a kid in the season can affect players. Perhaps that particularly affects goaltenders as some can be creatures of habit and rhythm.

I just had my first kid in Feb and it is massively disrupting to everything, especially in the first 3-4 months where sleep can be difficult, emotions are high, and you have to also have to be there for your wife who has just gone through sometthing pretty traumatic both mentally and physically. That could have been a contributing factor for his season going slightly off the rails.

Anyway, if they can get a mid round pick for Nilsson I hope they trade him to someone who needs him. Then sign a cheap experienced backup you don’t mind losing to waivers if necessary and work in Demko if he is ready.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Hansen had his contract come off the books this year, so we're back to having two contracts we can retain on. So although I don't think a 2.5m contract (2m in actual dollars) isn't even that bad, it's very easy to retain on it considering it expires at the end of next season.

I think a limited role for Demko in the nhl isn't a terrible thing, but even if he does struggle, I'm not exactly entirely opposed to having a journeyman goalie as a backup. It's not like we're expected to be a good team anyways next year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't see Nilsson's contract as being much of a stumbling block to a trade....only one more year to run and the Canucks could either retain some salary or take on another team's bad contract for a year. Could easily see Nilsson being an 'add-on" as part of bigger deal this offseason.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We should be trying to trade him in any way possible for whatever we can get, and his good WC performance is excellent news on that front as it helps mitigate his awful season a bit.

Unfortunately, my gut feeling is that a 'real good' performance like this will convince Jimbo to keep him.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
why do you think he is better than Markstrom? other than his good showing at the world championships.

I guess you could have thought that before last season from past performance, but what about last season? without the start he had, his numbers would have been BAD.

I say that if you were to switch the starts that Marky and Nilsson had then you would see a much better stats line on Nilsson and a far inferior one for Marky. I think he is a better goalie by a fair margin but then I have never bought the whole Markstrom hype ever...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad