Player Discussion Anders Nilsson

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Sounds like Nilsson had a rough go against his former team tonight.

Was having a discussion with my co-worker about the whole situation with Nilsson and Markstrom (and Demko) the other day.

To me, it feels like they're trying to groom one of these two guys to move for assets at the deadline this year, maybe build Nilsson up as a possible starter somewhere else for picks.

Personally, there needs to be a spot for Demko to fight for next year, especially the way he's playing in Utica this year. DiPietro is looking promising too.
Demko is going to need to be a lot more consistent if he wants to make the NHL next year let alone challenge for the starters job. He has patches were he's dominant and the patches where he doesn't look ready. I wouldn't be shocked to see him spend next year in the AHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A lot more consistent...really?.....despite a couple of call-ups and being spelled by Bachman occasionally, Demko has played the second-most minutes of any AHL goalie.....he sports a save percentage of .926 and a 2.30 GGA and was the AHL goalie of the month for October.....In fact I'm having trouble remembering any 'bouts of inconsistency' in the AHL so far this year.....now if you want 'inconsistency' then check the numbers for Nilsson and Markstrom.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Sooooo.....about that Travis Green practice incident....

Really a coaching move that should never be utilized. It's all about mental state for a goalie, that kind of move is too extreme and carries too much risk IMO. Really poor coaching.

I know Nilly has not looked good lately but that's more on the performance of the team in front of him. His great games early in the season the team played competently in front of him and allowed him to remain in his system.

You see now though how ill suited he is to improvise and make the really athletic stops. Once he flops he tends to not get up. That is definitely concerning.

Still, poor coaching by Green.

Reactions: timw33 and Zippgunn

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
A lot more consistent...really?.....despite a couple of call-ups and being spelled by Bachman occasionally, Demko has played the second-most minutes of any AHL goalie.....he sports a save percentage of .926 and a 2.30 GGA and was the AHL goalie of the month for October.....In fact I'm having trouble remembering any 'bouts of inconsistency' in the AHL so far this year.....now if you want 'inconsistency' then check the numbers for Nilsson and Markstrom.

The way he plays is still inconsistent. His style is like Marky's and he has the same issues but amplified by his lack of experience. You can still get away with stuff in the AHL, even on crap team (Marky put up great numbers for a terrible San Antonio team), and not have it translate to the NHL. That's happened with tons of guys, not just in this organization. Schneider struggled mightily at the NHL level until Rollie came along to help him.

Let Demko develop properly. If you call him up he's going to have the same inconsistency problems as the two guys we have now.

Also, do you even watch Utica? I don't (maybe 1-2 games a season) but I also don't claim to remember things that are happening on the farm.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd risk putting Nilsson on waivers and getting him to Utica.....recall Demko for a stretch of games.....particularly if the Canucks are 'done like dinner' by the trade deadline.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
I absolutely don’t want to call up Demko to get shelled on a bad NHL team...

Absolutely. People are rushing Demko because they are excited to see him (I am too btw) but it needs to be avoided at all costs. When he’s ready, he will be up here. People forget that Marky was just as good at the same stage of his development and he’s still finding his feet in the NHL. I’m not saying Demko will necessarily follow his career path but we shouldn’t rush him regardless.

Nilsson does seem to be in Green’s doghouse though. IIRC there were some talk of him not feeling good at the start of the season (?) and this clip here (dreadful coaching) only strengthens this idea. Nilsson has been very up and down (as has Marky to a lesser degree) and both our goalies had a rough December. He’ll be fine, our G is still fine. People are forgetting that Anders and Marky were covering up a lot of flaws with the team and got used to their unsustainable level of goaltending. They’ll bounce back. Demko remains Utica bound.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Really a coaching move that should never be utilized. It's all about mental state for a goalie, that kind of move is too extreme and carries too much risk IMO. Really poor coaching.

I know Nilly has not looked good lately but that's more on the performance of the team in front of him. His great games early in the season the team played competently in front of him and allowed him to remain in his system.

You see now though how ill suited he is to improvise and make the really athletic stops. Once he flops he tends to not get up. That is definitely concerning.

Whats this now?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Absolutely. People are rushing Demko because they are excited to see him (I am too btw) but it needs to be avoided at all costs. When he’s ready, he will be up here. People forget that Marky was just as good at the same stage of his development and he’s still finding his feet in the NHL. I’m not saying Demko will necessarily follow his career path but we shouldn’t rush him regardless.

Nilsson does seem to be in Green’s doghouse though. IIRC there were some talk of him not feeling good at the start of the season (?) and this clip here (dreadful coaching) only strengthens this idea. Nilsson has been very up and down (as has Marky to a lesser degree) and both our goalies had a rough December. He’ll be fine, our G is still fine. People are forgetting that Anders and Marky were covering up a lot of flaws with the team and got used to their unsustainable level of goaltending. They’ll bounce back. Demko remains Utica bound.
It's nice theory..."leave Demko in the AHL until he's 'ready' for the NHL......but unfortunately there's not much more Demko can do to get 'ready' for the NHL, facing AHL shooters night after night.....the difference in speed, finesse and shot quality is just that much more advanced at the NHL level. And then there's the theory, "you can't expose Demko to this trainwreck of a Canucks team without damaging his confidence". Nonsense. His team in Utica is currently comprised of ECHL callups and PTO's. And besides, after Jimbo guts this team at the trade deadline and the Sedins retire, does anyone out there really believe this "trainwreck" team will be much better next year? Nope, time to get him some NHL action.

Reactions: Nomobo

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
It's nice theory..."leave Demko in the AHL until he's 'ready' for the NHL......but unfortunately there's not much more Demko can do to get 'ready' for the NHL, facing AHL shooters night after night.....the difference in speed, finesse and shot quality is just that much more advanced at the NHL level. And then there's the theory, "you can't expose Demko to this trainwreck of a Canucks team without damaging his confidence". Nonsense. His team in Utica is currently comprised of ECHL callups and PTO's. And besides, after Jimbo guts this team at the trade deadline and the Sedins retire, does anyone out there really believe this "trainwreck" team will be much better next year? Nope, time to get him some NHL action.

So you think it is beneficial for him to come up and sit on the bench 3/4 of the games rather than being the #1 guy in Utica? He wasn’t the de facto starter there last year so this is his first year as a true #1 professionally. He wouldn’t be given the net instantly. Just look at how Green is making the young guys earn playing time. Even Boeser was scratched. If you’re talking a couple of starts in the spring - I’m all for it. But I still don’t see the benefit in rushing him.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Still think he'll prove to be better than Markstrom when given the chance and given regular games...

But he's got to prove himself to get there in the first place.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still think he'll prove to be better than Markstrom when given the chance and given regular games...

But he's got to prove himself to get there in the first place.
Exactly....after watching those Utica hightlights, I'm convinced that Demko is a better goalie right now than either Markstrom or Nilsson....and I know one other thing.....there's absolutely no way Demko would be coughing up some of those ugly goals Markstrom is letting in right now. Just too many stoppable pucks are sifting through him. And those are routine stops Demko would make.

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
I absolutely don’t want to call up Demko to get shelled on a bad NHL team...

IF Nilsson continues his garbage play I think you may not have a choice.. I know you don't want to throw a young goalie to the wolves but if he is busting is ass in Utica and playing great he deserves a chance.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
You have two guys in Vancouver...one is an average (at best) starter and one is an average (at best ) back up. But they aren't the biggest issues with the team. That distinction goes to the blueline and the 9 forwards on any given night that can't find the back of the net. These goaltenders just aren't capable of bailing the team out for a large majority of games a season. They did do it for the first 6 weeks and they'll likely do it again for another 4-6 week stretch at some point but the only thing it accomplishes is putting lipstick on a pig.

And that's the reason you don't bring Demko up. You don't throw a young goaltender to the wolves if you don't need to. And they don't need to.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really depends how desperate Jimbo is.....if he feels this team has to push for a playoff spot in order to secure a contract extension, then he might be forced to bring up Demko.....because neither of the guys in the crease currently are capable of backstopping the Canucks anywhere near the promised land. But if in his mind the season is another write-off other than development of the kids, then he probably sticks with his twin backups in the NHL.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Benning didn't write off a season when they were 6 points out a week before the deadline (he should have). He isn't going to write it off now (again he should).

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Absolutely; I had high hopes for Nilsson (who I think is a better goalie overall than Markstrom if only by a bit) but the way his coach has been treating him I wouldn't be surprised if he has all but given up on this team and is simply waiting out the year so he can go somewhere else, hopefully a place where he will be treated somewhat better. I can't be the only fan to notice that when Nilsson was abandoned by his team and was getting shelled with 8 goals that he was cruelly left in the net for the entire game but when exactly the same thing happened to Markstrom he was the beneficiary of a mercy pull. Nilsson also seems to get more of the tough starts too. My guess is that the Canucks are coddling Marky heavily in the (rather forlorn IMHO) hope that he "finds" his game and could perhaps be traded for something at the deadline. I'm guessing that, based on his performance as a Canuck there will be no takers at any price...

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Nilsson has been really average to below average after he was off to a decent start. I don't like the term of the contract.

Should signed a experienced veteran short term (former starter) backup/1B to mentor Demko.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nilsson is tracking about the same as he has in every other NHL pit-stop.....gets off to a hot start and then regresses as the team gets deeper into its schedule. The second-year on the contract is unfortunate, but if he ends up on waivers and in Utica next season it's not a big deal. Canucks have a lot of players in Utica playing on one-way NHL contracts this year... although $2m is a little steep for an AHL-goalie.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I know this is an older post but I'll circle back. Last season we saw Demko run hot and cold. Every time he'd get a hot patch people would get overhyped and forget the cold stretches, he finished the year .907 for a reason. Here's a 10 game rolling average (first point starts at the 10th game). The time you posted is around the time the line started dipping under 900. if he wants to become the starter at NHL level. This year has to be about consistency for Demko. So far he's been more consistent than the previous year and that's what we need to see. I'd still believe the best place for him this year is the AHL this year, to continue trying to keep his form good all year.

2ur2o1g.jpg

Reactions: CloutierForVezina

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So I liked the signing. Thought he was great to start the season and then something happened to him and I thought the guy's confidence was shot. He was a huge question mark going into next season. Then came the WHC. Now I am expecting a goalie capable of splitting duties with Markstorm. Am I the only one?

Reactions: pomorick

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
So I liked the signing. Thought he was great to start the season and then something happened to him and I thought the guy's confidence was shot. He was a huge question mark going into next season. Then came the WHC. Now I am expecting a goalie capable of splitting duties with Markstorm. Am I the only one?
Yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad