Mar 8, 2016
Italy
inh8wo.jpg

Reactions: samisalo6

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
EXCELLENT first game looking fwd to seeing more :)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Goaltenders can be a strange breed.....sometimes they just bounce around the league early on, but keep working at their games and improving their technique.....then after the age 26 or so it all starts to come together......hopefully that describes Nillson.

But like a lot of big goalies (6'7", 240) they can block a lot of net on the first shot attempt.....the problem is rebounds and lateral movement where they can open up holes if they have to move across the crease......but what was impressive about Nillson last night is that he looked very comfortable when he was forced to move around in the crease.....but that's the kind of goaltending the Canucks are going to need every night if they hope to win on the road.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Wonder which game(s) he will see out of the next 3. You can argue playing the hot hand (or goalie who just got a shutout) vs Boston but you can also argue he should play vs Buffalo (former team).

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I remember seeing Markstrom and Nilsson sitting beside each other at the camp opening media day, and was blown away at how much bigger Nilsson looked even though they are both listed as 6'6. I think that's cause he's more torso than legs. He will look more imposing and bigger when he's down in the butterfly.

If they can keep Nilsson calm and technically strong in his movements he could be one hell of a signing and find for the Canucks

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm actually feeling reasonably bullish on the Canuck goaltending, even if Markstrom and Nilsson turn out to be B-1's instead of A-1 starters....they can push each other and Green can just ride the hot hand......when I compare the Canucks to other teams, they have far less vulnerability in the crease, particularly with Demko knocking on the door.

Where would the Habs be if Price went down; or the if the Leafs lost Anderson; or the Flames lose Mike Smith?......we saw what happened to the Kings when Quick went out.......these teams couldn't rely on their backups to carry them for even 10 games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I remember seeing Markstrom and Nilsson sitting beside each other at the camp opening media day, and was blown away at how much bigger Nilsson looked even though they are both listed as 6'6. I think that's cause he's more torso than legs. He will look more imposing and bigger when he's down in the butterfly.

If they can keep Nilsson calm and technically strong in his movements he could be one hell of a signing and find for the Canucks

Huh. Weirdly, I have the exact opposite impression. When I'm watching Nilsson play, to me he looks really small in net relative to how big he's actually listed, while Markstrom looks massive in goal.

Reactions: Nucker101

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
He seemed to be able to follow the play pretty well so his anticipation was good last game. Hope that continues!

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Huh. Weirdly, I have the exact opposite impression. When I'm watching Nilsson play, to me he looks really small in net relative to how big he's actually listed, while Markstrom looks massive in goal.

I think Markstrom knows how to use his size and positioning to make himself look big. Nilsson doesn't look as big as he could but that could/should come with time and coaching. It's too bad Nilsson didn't get to work with Rollie.

I should've of said " Nilsson should look bigger in net due his bigger torso"

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What stood out to me in his last game that I didn't see in preseason (or was paying attention to in preseason) was how good his lateral movement is in the net... and how in control he is of his position and ability to slide around while in the butterfly.

Pucks didn't find his holes like they did in preseason... part luck and part all the work he's put in since his last start... hope its more of the latter but the former doesn't hurt.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I just do not think Canucks goalies are NHL caliber. I guess the team is hoping one of them grows into the starter role? Good luck with that. I hope they do not call up somebody developing. Being pelted every night would ruin him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I just do not think Canucks goalies are NHL caliber. I guess the team is hoping one of them grows into the starter role? Good luck with that. I hope they do not call up somebody developing. Being pelted every night would ruin him.

You trolling? Both goaltenders have proven to be capable NHL backup goalies at the very least.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Alex talked about this on the 650 post-game show after the shutout against Minny. Mentioned (paraphrasing) that Nilsson's low stance makes him look small to an observer from above ice level, but from the puck's perspective it makes him look bigger - helps/is a result of getting the upper body leaning forward so that the chest is perpendicular to shots to that area. That also leads into what Pasco refers to as "layering" where the hands are out in front (stick even further), which helps with defending what Alex referred to as the "box" in front of the goalie that the puck must pass through to hit the net.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nilsson actually had better numbers in Buffalo last year so no surprise that he appears to be on track to seize the starters job in VanCity. As to whether the Canucks have a legit starter in either Markstrom or Nilsson, I think what's likely to happen is that they push each other all season long....and they're just setting the table for Demko eventually.

But some pretty high-profile, and highly paid goaltenders, aren't looking good so far.....Ben Bishop less than stellar so far for the Stars; Talbot looking shaky for the Oilers; Mason is sucking with the Jets; and Lundquist struggling in the Big Apple. Bottom line there's still a lot of NHL teams out there with goaltending issues, so the Canucks are hardly alone.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
As the Canucks PBP crew likes to point out over and over and over: "Nilsson briefly stole the job in Edmonton from Cam Talbot and was the starting goalie for around a month" blah blah blah. He's looking good, but he's looked this good many times before. His question has always been consistency and not flaming out with increased work.

Hopefully he can figure it out this time because who doesn't like gigantic goalies?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I was at the game on Thursday and he didn't look good.

It was a difficult game for him since there were so few shots. It's one of the most challenging things to stay focused with that few shots. Lots of times the caps had close-in chances but they were blocked or deflected. That's the worst because as a goalie it would be nice to get a good blocking save on a guy who is in too tight - that is usually a gimme and builds your confidence.

Having said that, despite basically mailing it in all game, the Caps hit a lot of posts and cross bars. When they made him move laterally he looked shaky. He was down early and got into a really passive mode all game.

Also, the goals he let in weren't good. Let's be real - of his three games excluding the Boston game the team played really well in front of him. While it was nice that he got two shutouts, those were games that were within his wheelhouse.

The first goal was under him. I'll give him somewhat of a break because it was a screen but he was in full block and it still went through.

The second goal was brutal. Just lazy - not square to the shooter and didn't match speed well so when he defaulted to a post integration move when it wasn't necessary he got beat.

I'm glad Nilsson has played well for us but if we're going to criticize Marky for soft goals, we can't excuse Nilly for them either.

Based on this last performance I wouldn't give him the next start.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Nilsson actually had better numbers in Buffalo last year so no surprise that he appears to be on track to seize the starters job in VanCity. As to whether the Canucks have a legit starter in either Markstrom or Nilsson, I think what's likely to happen is that they push each other all season long....and they're just setting the table for Demko eventually.

But some pretty high-profile, and highly paid goaltenders, aren't looking good so far.....Ben Bishop less than stellar so far for the Stars; Talbot looking shaky for the Oilers; Mason is sucking with the Jets; and Lundquist struggling in the Big Apple. Bottom line there's still a lot of NHL teams out there with goaltending issues, so the Canucks are hardly alone.

I think the scoring in the league will continue with this crackdown on obstruction. When you let the skilled players actually make plays with their hands, this is what happens. While I do think those goalies are struggling, I think a big factor contributing to that is that their teams are still learning to defend without the high stick-check.

Reactions: The Extrapolater

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Sounds like Nilsson had a rough go against his former team tonight.

Was having a discussion with my co-worker about the whole situation with Nilsson and Markstrom (and Demko) the other day.

To me, it feels like they're trying to groom one of these two guys to move for assets at the deadline this year, maybe build Nilsson up as a possible starter somewhere else for picks.

Personally, there needs to be a spot for Demko to fight for next year, especially the way he's playing in Utica this year. DiPietro is looking promising too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00