And No One Dared Disturb the Sound of Silence (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
How have the AHL, ECHL crowds been with NHL players playing?

i dont know what youre trying to say

if youre asking about attendance affects of nhl players in the ahl, i know in 2005 our local team was sold out basically every game, while in other years have had 1-2k empty seats per game

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
In other words the same damn thing they offered weeks ago. Not going to end well.

For those that think it is perfectly fair for the "rich" teams to share all their profit with poor teams...then why can't the highest paid players give some of their salary to the lower paid players..same concept right?

appears to me the PA only protects the richest players. They don't care about the guys coming into the league now or the players that fight for contracts year in year out. Instead the want to make the Shea Webers of the league get their well earned 14 mill per year front end contract even if the other players have to pay for it in escrow.

Talk about a crock of ****, how many hundreds of stories have you heard through the years of veteran players letting the young guys live with them and their families in their houses for entire seasons while they get acclimated so they can start saving money for their own places.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
In other words the same damn thing they offered weeks ago. Not going to end well.

For those that think it is perfectly fair for the "rich" teams to share all their profit with poor teams...then why can't the highest paid players give some of their salary to the lower paid players..same concept right?

appears to me to only protect the richest players. They don't care about the guys coming into the league now or the players that fight for contracts year in year out. Instead the want to make the Shea Webers of the league get their well earned 14 mill per year front end contract even if the other players have to pay for it in escrow.

Not even close to the same concept. The Leafs have been making so much money due to artifical restraints on their salary spending due to the cap. Part of an overall system that involves 30 teams. If hte Leafs et al want to beenfit froma closed system they had to share their profits. Alternatively remove the cap and floor and have at it. The Leafs would most likely be making less money under that scenario.

Plus in a way Crosby is already doing that. In an open system he'd be makign way more and the 4th line scrub would be making 100k a year.

CN_paladin

Jan 22, 2007
Westeros
but the players ARE willing to contribute to this hence going from 57 to 50. neither side should be forced to foot the whole bill on revenue sharing. they both can contribute.

however i will say that the players are NOT the ones keeping these teams in weak markets

Sure if the NHL gets rid of a couple of those small teams, would the players agree to the loss of jobs?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Again, then what was the owners offer of make whole supposed to do? We've heard how they made a "major shift" and were willing to fully "make whole" the first 2 years of players contracts.

So, are they willing to or are they not? That doesn't sound so different than what the NHLPA is proposing here...by year 3 they'd be at 50-50, which means the first 2 years would be covering "make whole"...

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
'Eh? The NHLPA is going higher in their demands instead of negotiating closer to a mid-point? That's... different.

id have to imagine that is bc there is another issue that they are giving on instead. this isnt about one issue at a time. if one side gives on one issue, they would most likely expect the other side to give on another issue.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
i dont know what youre trying to say

if youre asking about attendance affects of nhl players in the ahl, i know in 2005 our local team was sold out basically every game, while in other years have had 1-2k empty seats per game

Should i take your word for it or can you find actual numbers?

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Fact is theyre still talking... People need to stop listening to all of these best writers and be patient

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
What time did the NHLPA make their offers? LEt's hope the owners actually looked at the proposal.

The last offer the NHLPA made to the NHL was a 15 minute long meeting and a 2 week break off. I think we may have some footing here. May not be an immediate solution but the fact that they are in the same building still is somewhat a good thing.

Langdon Alger*

What time did the NHLPA make their offers? LEt's hope the owners actually looked at the proposal.

Reports said they made the offers yesterday. If we're three-and-a-half hours into talks today, I would imagine there's already been some manner of response.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
The 20 Million jump in the NHLPA's proposal for Revenue sharing screams to me that they're conceding something else the owners care less about.

Reacting to these tweets is impossible not to do because it's all we're getting, but as long as they aren't back to not talking and posturing in the media there's no reason to think that they aren't making any progress.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
If indeed the PA did actually present a counter, and there are still meeting tells me that it must include linkage to revenues and not based on if growth numbers are met.

Gberg

Oct 13, 2009

appears to me the PA only protects the richest players. They don't care about the guys coming into the league now or the players that fight for contracts year in year out. Instead the want to make the Shea Webers of the league get their well earned 14 mill per year front end contract even if the other players have to pay for it in escrow.

umm, no it's actually incredibly simple. Your analogy is terrible.

Player's share decreases, so costs for ALL teams decrease. Why is that fair when the rich teams that make tons of money every year will make even more?

Player's will decrease cost to help struggling teams, and the owner's will increase revenue sharing to help said struggling teams. Together, we hope all teams are viable (although Phoenix should probably still move).

To come to 50/50 in Year 3 is great. The first couple years is probably something to do with the "make-whole" concept.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

NHL brass may want substantial revenue sharing as much as NHLPA, but it's in an awkward spot here. The most profitable franchise are ...

... also the most powerful, the ones who hold considerable sway w Gary Bettman. They don't want to share their $$$ w the poor stepchildren.

#CBJ are in an awkward spot, too. They've lost double-digit millions for many seasons now, but look how they've been operated. ...

#CBJ spent to the salary cap and finished 30th last season. Market has not been realized to it's full potential. Franchise has lost a ...

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Sure if the NHL gets rid of a couple of those small teams, would the players agree to the loss of jobs?

who said contraction?!?!?! i sure didnt

relocation of those weak teams to stronger markets would make much more sense than asking the players OR other owners to foot the bill for losses

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
How did Ryan Smyth's charity games go in 2004? I would gladly support replacment players and i know i a lot of other people that would too.

You would be glad to shell out $13,000 for a pair of season tickets to watch players at an ECHL level, Really ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad