And No One Dared Disturb the Sound of Silence (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy Gerbil

Hang up the phone
Oct 17, 2007
Roy, New Mexico
That's the MOST important fan for the league. Do you think any of us hardcore hockey fans are going to turn our noses up when the games are being played again? Nope, we'll be in the stadiums, buying jerseys and watching TV. We're the constant. The "casual" fan is the swing vote, the represent the growth of our sport. Should they care about this one dude? no of course not. But they should be worried about the aggregate of casual fans that might have the same mindset? ABSO-friggin-LUTELY

And in the end, when that attention seeking clown buys another jersey in 6 months, a year or whatever it is. No one will care enough or remember to call him (and many others like him) out on this letter. Hooray! :handclap:

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Summer Ruutu said:
So, he goes to 2-3 games a year and watches "several more" on TV. Sorry, but how much is this guy spending on the NHL a year? A few hundred? Why does he think that Bettman and Fehr care about his minimal contribution when they are fighting over hundreds of millions per year?

That's the MOST important fan for the league. Do you think any of us hardcore hockey fans are going to turn our noses up when the games are being played again? Nope, we'll be in the stadiums, buying jerseys and watching TV. We're the constant. The "casual" fan is the swing vote, the represent the growth of our sport. Should they care about this one dude? no of course not. But they should be worried about the aggregate of casual fans that might have the same mindset? ABSO-friggin-LUTELY

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
Meeting in NYC Storm started at 3:15.NHLPA had internal discussions after SFehr and BDaly conferred via phone in AM on Day 1 questions.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
And in the end, when that attention seeking clown buys another jersey in 6 months, a year or whatever it is, no one will care enough or remember to call him (and many others like him) out on this letter. Hooray! :handclap:

Ya, perhaps he and the million other fans like him, come back. You're right. But perhaps they decide to follow another sport. Maybe they become a fans of the CFL, MLB, NFL, MLS or NBA. That's revenue lost for the NHL, that's growth lost for the NHL.

I think it's important to remember that these fans aren't like us. Hockey isn't "in their blood", they don't "breath hockey" and there is nothing wrong with that. But it also means that they wont come crawling back through thick or thin like the rest of us here on HFBoards.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, I still have no real idea of how to feel about Fehr in all this. I know the silence is good and the talks are going on a lot, but yeah. Please Fehr, do the right thing, end this and start the season.

BigRig

Nov 6, 2012
Ottawa
I consider myself more than an average fan and I thought about how I could do something to show that it's not acceptable this soon after the last lockout. I knew I would never be able to not watch on TV so I decided to not buy anything with an NHL logo on it for a year and also not to attend a live game for this season. It's probably not much in the big scheme of things, but it will be $1000 or more of my money that they won't see.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Renaud Lavoie on RDS just now:

Don Fehr has put a gag order on the players. Wow. He says Fehr did that in MLB since once upon a time they were close to a CBA and a player said to the media ''we are close, let's get it done'' and MLB pulled their offer off the table.

Really good sign, IMO.

He also talked about a ''strong rumor'' going around the NHL was going to tell the PA: ''forget the make whole, we'll honor your contracts in full for the first 2 years.''

Roy Gerbil

Hang up the phone
Oct 17, 2007
Roy, New Mexico
Ya, perhaps he and the million other fans like him, come back. You're right. But perhaps they decide to follow another sport. Maybe they become a fans of the CFL, MLB, NFL, MLS or NBA.

I think it's important to remember that these fans aren't like us. Hockey isn't "in their blood", they don't "breath hockey" and there is nothing wrong with that. But it also means that they wont come crawling back through thick or thin like the rest of us here on HFBoards.

I agree with that, I'm just saying many of the people who decide to go that route will do it silently because their concern/interest for the NHL isn't something that's a large part of their lives. Writing a letter like this and turning it into a grand gesture suggests a greater attachment to the sport than he's letting on.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Ya, perhaps he and the million other fans like him, come back. You're right. But perhaps they decide to follow another sport. Maybe they become a fans of the CFL, MLB, NFL, MLS or NBA. That's revenue lost for the NHL, that's growth lost for the NHL.

How could they come back when they haven't left? There have been no games played. As of now these are threats. We'll see what happen when the games start.

I think the idea that the NHL will lose a million fans over what could potentially be a lockout lasting under two months is a bit far-fetched.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So, he goes to 2-3 games a year and watches "several more" on TV. Sorry, but how much is this guy spending on the NHL a year? A few hundred? Why does he think that Bettman and Fehr care about his minimal contribution when they are fighting over hundreds of millions per year?
At two games/year, with minimal spending, this is what he's "worth":

Two tickets, cheapest seats: $65.36
Jersey, blank: $134.99
Parking, 2 games: $22.00
2 Hot Dogs: $8.00
2 Sodas: $8.00

Total: $238.35

Doesn't seem like much when you consider the two games he attends is paltry in comparison to the overall attendance for the year, which is about 820,000 people (41 games x 20,000)

However, if he represents the one percent of dejected fans who casually attend games and will stop going as a result of the lockout, that turns into a potential loss of revenue nearing $2 million. Not small potatoes anymore.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa

Don Fehr has put a gag order on the players. Wow. He says Fehr did that in MLB since once upon a time they were close to a CBA and a player said to the media ''we are close, let's get it done'' and MLB pulled their offer off the table.

Really good sign, IMO.

He also talked about a ''strong rumor'' going around the NHL was going to tell the PA: ''forget the make whole, we'll honor your contracts in full for the first 2 years.''

That's big. Really big!

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

Really good sign, IMO.

Sounds like this thing may be coming to an end. Let's keep up the momentum guys!

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
It's quite scary if they don't get it done. A blood vessel might snap in my brain and I'll die.

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
Tired of the users that are constantly repeating that there won't be a season and there is 0 reason to be optimistic...

I understand that you're trying to say it over and over to seem like you know more than others and that if there in fact isn't a season, you can post how you warned everyone. I get it. Real cool.

There is plenty to be optimistic about and the pressure is on for a deal to be struck. A lot of people/reporters are leaning towards a season starting december 9th.

We will see what happens.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland

This. There aren't enough hardcore fans to fund this thing. They need a lot, a lot, of casual fans / sports fans in general. Just to run the circus. There's no money in this business that is not originated from fans. Not a single penny. Tickets, broadcasting, jerseys, hot dogs, beverages, sponsorship (sponsors pay because of attendace / tv viewing numbers -> that they can sell their products to the fans). Everything is from fans. And a great deal of this money comes from a big amount of casual fans. A dollar from here and a dime from there.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
John Shannon‏@JSportsnet

Meeting in NYC Storm started at 3:15.NHLPA had internal discussions after SFehr and BDaly conferred via phone in AM on Day 1 questions.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

Really good sign, IMO.

If true, that definitely bodes well. But trying not to get my hopes up too high.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
That fan that sent the letter is all talk.

If this ends in about 2 weeks there's no reason he wouldnt come back.

Lockout the whole season sure, but get a 60-70 game season and I dont think many people will care that this whole thing happened, they're just emotional because they want hockey back.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
At two games/year, with minimal spending, this is what he's "worth":

Two tickets, cheapest seats: $65.36
Jersey, blank: $134.99
Parking, 2 games: $22.00
2 Hot Dogs: $8.00
2 Sodas: $8.00

Total: $238.35

Doesn't seem like much when you consider the two games he attends is paltry in comparison to the overall attendance for the year, which is about 820,000 people (41 games x 20,000)

However, if he represents the one percent of dejected fans who casually attend games and will stop going as a result of the lockout, that turns into a potential loss of revenue nearing $2 million. Not small potatoes anymore.

Wow I wish I lived where that guy lives.

Diatidialga

Sep 13, 2011
Winnipeg

Really good sign, IMO.

It's scaring me now that Don of all people is making me optimistic

Hanklite*

All of this makes sense now. Fehr does have a brilliant negotiating mind.

He has gotten the NHL right where he wants them. And the gag order is to make sure no players run their mouths saying how they are winning and then have the NHL balk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad