Confirmed with Link: [ANA/VGK] Evgenii Dadonov and 2023 or 2024 2nd for John Moore and Ryan Kesler (OFFICIALLY VOIDED)

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Having the right to void things that you yourself approved in itself is the definition of authoritarian. I think they did right by Dadonov, but not right by the Ducks. Just because the Ducks likely won't make a stink doesn't mean the way the league handled it was the best way. Them pointing fingers at Ottawa after THEY approved it, was wrong, too. You don't rely on goodwill to see that things will be done correctly.
They didn't just do it on a whim, they did it because the NHLPA challenged it and were right. Refusing to void it would've been authoritarian, this was just doing the right thing and correcting their mistake.

There really isn't a stink to be made, either. It's an unfortunate situation but the Ducks loss is a player who had the right not to be traded there. Can't really rectify that.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
They didn't just do it on a whim, they did it because the NHLPA challenged it and were right. Refusing to void it would've been authoritarian, this was just doing the right thing and correcting their mistake.

There really isn't a stink to be made, either. It's an unfortunate situation but the Ducks loss is a player who had the right not to be traded there. Can't really rectify that.
I didn't say it was on a whim, I said they did right by Dadonov. I still believe it was unfair to the Ducks, though. I've been in situations like this, and even though there's nothing I can do about it, that still doesn't make it right. Now I'll go back to my original point, that I was curious if anything was done by the league to see if the situation could have sorted out so that ALL parties involved could have been done right by. Obviously, the glitch was the league's fault, because it's THEIR responsibility to be sure everything is correct and fair, yet they're trying to avoid their black eye. Now, when Dadonov sits the rest of the season, who will be rectified? No one.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
The argument that the Ducks deserve to be compensated in some way is very, very thin.

You can't get compensation for another team wasting your time. They could do that in any number of ways, and all that you can do is not deal with that team anymore.

In order to deserve compensation from the NHL, you'd have to show that the Ducks lost something they would have had if the NHL had acted properly. But if the NHL had acted properly, all that happens is the deal gets voided two days sooner. The Ducks couldn't have made a different trade with the same assets because the trade wasn't finalized until the deadline itself.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
The argument that the Ducks deserve to be compensated in some way is very, very thin.

You can't get compensation for another team wasting your time. They could do that in any number of ways, and all that you can do is not deal with that team anymore.

In order to deserve compensation from the NHL, you'd have to show that the Ducks lost something they would have had if the NHL had acted properly. But if the NHL had acted properly, all that happens is the deal gets voided two days sooner. The Ducks couldn't have made a different trade with the same assets because the trade wasn't finalized until the deadline itself.

I guess the argument against that is if Verbeek was made aware Dadonov had a NTC and Anaheim was on it and he wouldn't waive it, then Verbeek could've pursued other opportunities. All that would've taken place well before the trade was finalized, hypothetically speaking.

Kind of a shitty situation all around but I'm all for Vegas getting f***ed over, so it's not as bitter of a taste at the moment.

Reactions: KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I guess the argument against that is if Verbeek was made aware Dadonov had a NTC and Anaheim was on it and he wouldn't waive it, then Verbeek could've pursued other opportunities. All that would've taken place well before the trade was finalized, hypothetically speaking.

Kind of a shitty situation all around but I'm all for Vegas getting f***ed over, so it's not as bitter of a taste at the moment.

I don't think you can set the precedent that teams get compensated for another team wasting their time in trade discussions. How far does that extend? What if we listen to offers on John Gibson but decide not to trade him. Do other teams get compensation from us?

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I don't think you can set the precedent that teams get compensated for another team wasting their time in trade discussions. How far does that extend? What if we listen to offers on John Gibson but decide not to trade him. Do other teams get compensation from us?

Oh, I agree with you on the topic of us getting compensated. That's why I said it's just kind of a shitty situation.

It makes sense for people to feel like they deserve something because of the perception that they were getting something. But the reality is we were never getting Dadonov and the 2nd. Would've been cool if we did though.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The way I look at it is that If Dadynovs NTC had been handled properly then the Ducks never make the trade anyway so why should they get assets. If there was competition for Keslers contract then there is something to talk to the league about. Otherwise we move on. We lose out on a useful player and a pick but like I said, those should never have been presented anyway.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The way I look at it is that If Dadynovs NTC had been handled properly then the Ducks never make the trade anyway so why should they get assets. If there was competition for Keslers contract then their is something to talk to the league about. Otherwise we move on. We lose out on a useful player and a pick but like I said, those should never have been presented anyway.
And there's next to no shot of this, it's a negative asset.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
And there's next to no shot of this, it's a negative asset.
For most teams agreed. There are uses for it. Its complicated to use it for benefit and generally its better to just clear our salary like moving Dadynov. But agreed, most teams wouldn't want/need it and so the contract has little value in itself.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
For most teams agreed. There are uses for it. Its complicated to use it for benefit and generally its better to just clear our salary like moving Dadynov. But agreed, most teams wouldn't want/need it and so the contract has little value in itself.
It's not that complicated, only real benefit is if you need it to reach the floor. It worked for Vegas in this trade because it didn't impact their cap and the remaining real dollars were balanced out by sending out Dadonov and/or just the cost of doing business. Unless there was another, similar deal on the table, which I doubt there was, this was the only avenue to moving it.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
A goal and two assists his first game back for them. Maybe they’ll benefit from the trade they didn’t make.

Reactions: Kalv
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Was it reported why he doesn’t want to come to Anaheim?
The belief is that we're on his list due to the tax situation. I also just don't think there was a hope in hell he'd waive right now regardless, I mean who willingly wants to leave the playoff hunt? I do kind of wonder if that door isn't closed if Verbeek indeed likes him that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad