Confirmed with Link: [ANA/PIT] Rickard Rakell (35% retained) for 2022 2nd round pick, Dominik Simon, Zach Aston-Reese, Calle Clang

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Hardly. Have you seen our team? We suck. There will be a useful player at our pick this year and a star next year no doubt about it.
we do suck. We are not tanking. We are not winning. We barely make the playoffs, if that. That is mediocrity, which is the worst position to be in.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pens fan here hoping you enjoy your new toys as much as we hope to enjoy ours.

Just on the return - there was some debate as to who our best goalie prospect was in the summer after Clang destroyed the Allsvenskan. Right now he seems to be in second place, but not by much, and who'd be surprised if things flipped after another season? Barring the Askarovs and Knights of this world, I'd say Clang is about as legit a goalie prospect as is out there. And if it helps, one of our Swedish fans is absolutely losing his mind that we traded Clang instead of literally anybody else.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
this is probably the best offer verbeek got for rakell. same with lindholm

i would've liked better prospects, but we clearly rate these guys higher than the rest of the league does. rakell hasn;t been good for a while now so i'm not surprised at the return. verbeek didn't exactly kill it with these trades but i also don't think he's turning down better offers for the ones he accepted. BM should have traded these guys a few years ago when their value was higher but he didn't
Absolutely. And I think many fans are looking at what Manson, Rakell, and LIndholm were worth through rose colored glasses that were made in 2018. Each of their values has been declining for 2 years now. The old axiom of selling a year too early rather than a year too late is very true and applies to the trio we are discussing.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Outsider coming in peace, with a Rakell question: Is he a winger that can play equally well on both sides? Or is he clearly better on one wing than the other? NHL.com lists him as a LW who shoots right.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Outsider coming in peace, with a Rakell question: Is he a winger that can play equally well on both sides? Or is he clearly better on one wing than the other? NHL.com lists him as a LW who shoots right.

His best years were at LW, but I don't think it matters much. The quality of his center is far more important.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Lots of players hit waivers the last few days. Reading how ecstatic penguins fans about how these 2 are off their roster?? makes me think we should have went to the waivers for pickups
pens fans are always like that......i dont think i have ever seen a honest break down when we have traded with them (maybe whitney)....no other fanbase has to "win" a trade more then them, and i really dont even understand what that means and who/how that gets decided minutes after a trade.....ducks made moves for the summer today and not today IMO.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

He seems to be able to move between wings pretty seamlessly, also came up as a center and could fill in if really needed in a pinch. But the back to back 30 goal years were spent playing LW beside Getzlaf and Perry, and he's probably still most dangerous on his off wing. For the past few years it just seems like he's the first to get moved back and forth because of his versatility.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

DucksUnited

Mar 16, 2022
Absolutely. And I think many fans are looking at what Manson, Rakell, and LIndholm were worth through rose colored glasses that were made in 2018. Each of their values has been declining for 2 years now. The old axiom of selling a year too early rather than a year too late is very true and applies to the trio we are discussing.

Lets be honest. If it was even remotely rumored Hampus and Rakell were being traded last deadline. Not one fan would be okay with it. So to use the terminology of, “should have done it last year” I don’t think would have bode well with majority of Duck fans.

On the contrary though, I don’t know one fan okay with these trades outside of Manson. Other than that, majority whom I’ve spoken to. Clearly not majority, just small sample size think these trades were shit. Maybe 15-20 people or so.

Either way my general consensus is that my feelings is Verbeek is a fricken clown. Because this return is taking every Duck fan by surprise as garbage. Because that’s what it equates to if I have the gavel after everything researched of talking to people who I know.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Lets be honest. If it was even remotely rumored Hampus and Rakell were being traded last deadline. Not one fan would be okay with it. So to use the terminology of, “should have done it last year” I don’t think would have bode well with majority of Duck fans
There have absolutely been fans advocating trading Rakell last year and even before that.

DucksUnited

Mar 16, 2022
There have absolutely been fans advocating trading Rakell last year and even before that.

Not the fans I’ve talked to. Maybe here, but certainly not on social media sites. And they have season tickets also like alot of you members here do as well.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Not the fans I’ve talked to. Maybe here, but certainly not on social media sites. And they have season tickets also like alot of you members here do as well.
I don’t think it was a majority across platforms, just wanted to object to the notion that no fan would have accepted it. Considering trading Rakell has been a yearly thing for a while on here.

DucksUnited

Mar 16, 2022
We really do overrate our own players

I’m trying to remain positive? I have vented out what I wanted to say. I just hope we have Comtois branch out to what we are use to of seeing. And maybe even see Troy Terry break 40 goals this season in the remaining games.

There’s no fricken excuses of being held back because other lines are clogged. Maybe that’s what Verbeek is saying in the locker room before? And after the trade deadline. I got picks when I could have gotten this. If you want your chance? Now is your time on a broken roster 🤷‍♂️

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
On a side note the more I’ve read up on clang the more I feel I start to like the trade, he prob slots in after dostal on our goalie depth chart, never a bad thing to have goalies flowing, specially with lots of teams needing goalies

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
This trade has the feel of Verbeek possibly waiting too long and then having Boston, NYR, Colorado and even TB deciding to go a different direction, leaving Pittsburg as the best remaining option. That being said, I think Pittsburg's second round pick could be the best of those teams and maybe Verbeek really liked Clang (or wanted a goal tender).

The players coming to Anaheim were in lieu of retention - seems like they won't be on the team next year (or shouldn't be). But that's ok, at this point they need healthy bodies.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I think this trade makes us a better team today coming from someone who’s favourite player was rakell for most of the last decade

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
ZAR was a good player for us. Defensively, he has been very good for a number of years, but this year it hurt him that after his salary became meaningful tos tart the yer, he just wasn't dangerous. He used to always get enough goals for it to satisfactory for his role and more so when he was paid 1 millon or less, even if his college scoring made you hope there was more there.
Anyway, good guy and will help your PK and bottom 6 goals against.

Similar story for Simon really. Also has done really well on the 4th line and skates very well, so can play up the lineup in a pinch. Just.... can't.... finish. That is a meaningful defect, of course, and ultimately contributed greatly to how many Pens fans soured on them, especially ZAR.
But if you dive into advanced stats you will see positive arguments for both, that you will no doubt find reproduced on the ice. Suppose whether they're good gets for Anaheim depends on whether they integrate well and become players you'll want to re-sign.

Our forum has a few assholes, re. @IDuck , as do most, but I don't know that this is a thing where one concludes that one team wins it or loses it. Few deadline deals are obvious like that. Given other prices this deadline, it seems to me like the price could have been worse for us, and better still because the prospect, albeit potentially a very good one, is one we can afford to lose given depth in the position, whereas POJ for instance (while likely only having 4-6 potential) is the only NHL ready prospect we have on D.
As neither ZAR or Simon should/would have gotten re-signed in the Summer due to cap and emerging young forwards, this therefore looks good for us.... if Rakell does well of course. Importantly, though, none of these factors that make the price relatively positive for us have much of any bearing on how the trade should be evaluated from a Ducks point of view, IMO.

Here the return is a 2nd, a good young goalie prospect and a trial run of two affordable bottom 6 NHL'ers.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
This trade has the feel of Verbeek possibly waiting too long and then having Boston, NYR, Colorado and even TB deciding to go a different direction, leaving Pittsburg as the best remaining option. That being said, I think Pittsburg's second round pick could be the best of those teams and maybe Verbeek really liked Clang (or wanted a goal tender).

The players coming to Anaheim were in lieu of retention - seems like they won't be on the team next year (or shouldn't be). But that's ok, at this point they need healthy bodies.

I feel like the exact opposite and that he played the Rakell card almost perfectly, or at least as well as he could. On a true contender, Rakell is a 3rd liner.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I feel like the exact opposite and that he played the Rakell card almost perfectly, or at least as well as he could. On a true contender, Rakell is a 3rd liner.

Winnipeg got a better return for Andrew Copp (2 seconds and a prospect, with a pick swap). Rakell is better than Copp and I like that deal better if for no other reason than Winnipeg did not have to retain or take salary back.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Winnipeg got a better return for Andrew Copp (2 seconds and a prospect, with a pick swap). Rakell is better than Copp and I like that deal better if for no other reason than Winnipeg did not have to retain or take salary back.

The past two seasons combined Copp has 74 points in 111 games (54 point pace per 82) compared to Rakell who has 56 in 103 games (45 points per 82). This year alone Copp has 35 in 56 games (51 point pace) vs Rakell who has 28 in 51 (45 point pace). Copp is also better defensively and is a regular PKer. There’s no way you can say Rakell is better than Copp, maybe a couple of years ago but Copp today is the far superior player.

And when you look a little deeper at the returns they’re not even that far off.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
The past two seasons combined Copp has 74 points in 111 games (54 point pace per 82) compared to Rakell who has 56 in 103 games (45 points per 82). This year alone Copp has 35 in 56 games (51 point pace) vs Rakell who has 28 in 51 (45 point pace). Copp is also better defensively and is a regular PKer. There’s no way you can say Rakell is better than Copp, maybe a couple of years ago but Copp today is the far superior player.

And when you look a little deeper at the returns they’re not even that far off.

Indeed. People whining about trading Rakell forget that he's not the same player he used to be and isn't getting any younger/better. Whatever we got for him, I'm happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad