Confirmed with Link: [ANA/PIT] Rickard Rakell (35% retained) for 2022 2nd round pick, Dominik Simon, Zach Aston-Reese, Calle Clang

gunnergunther

Jul 3, 2010
I said on these boards a month or so ago that Rakell was likely to return a 2nd and a good - not great - prospect. That's exactly what he returned. Teams aren't going to give a 1st or top prospect for a guy who hasn't had a good year since 2018. Tyler Toffoli Part II.
Yes, but we also took on two contracts and retained.

Reactions: DucksUnited

DucksUnited

Mar 16, 2022
TBF most of their prospects are of the dime a dozen variety. Couldn't quite say that of their top guy Poulin, but he's not tracking on the same level as Comtois at the same age for comparison. Joseph probably just slides in somewhere between Vaak and Mahura. Clang at least probably has as much ceiling as anyone in their system, as volatile as goalies might be.

Even if you view it as such. The fans want to know what the hell Rangers, Boston, St Louis, and Vegas we’re wanting to offer. Because this trade is really booty. And you would think this was a 4 am crank call from Pittsburgh

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
TBF most of their prospects are of the dime a dozen variety. Couldn't quite say that of their top guy Poulin, but he's not tracking on the same level as Comtois at the same age for comparison. Joseph probably just slides in somewhere between Vaak and Mahura. Clang at least probably has as much ceiling as anyone in their system, as volatile as goalies might be.
I see it the same way. Just a shame that the only team that really wanted Rakell also had the worst prospect pool. Such is life.

Reactions: McDonald19

DucksUnited

Mar 16, 2022
Yes, but we also took on two contracts and retained.

Yup! Starting to think Murray would have done better with these pieces. The league knows Verbeek is a new GM and they are already making him look like a clown for accepting the crap they been trying to get rid of

DucksUnited

Mar 16, 2022
Two UFA's on expiring contracts. That's the only way the deal gets done. It's obvious that there wasn't much interest in Rakell beyond and 2nd or a 3rd.

Anaheim takes the 2nd then. I highly doubt St Louis, Vegas, Boston, Rangers, would throw 2 worthless contracts and a goalie prospect for Rakell. Just give us the second if that’s all that’s offered

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Even if you view it as such. The fans want to know what the hell Rangers, Boston, St Louis, and Vegas we’re wanting to offer. Because this trade is really booty. And you would think this was a 4 am crank call from Pittsburgh
Rakell's past production must not have carried as much weight as some thought. The current version just isn't more than a B prospect + 2nd type of rental. Yeah we take back a couple bodies as well but both impending UFA's and not going to change the value much. It is what it is, if Rakell was a more consistently impactful player we would have seen more desire to keep him around, or a greater price in as a return. But the most recent version is an inconsistent low or mid level 2nd liner at best, and those guys don't return 1st round picks as rentals.

His impact can easily be replaced by a UFA, perhaps someone a bit younger and preferably someone better. If you give the money earmarked for Rakell, to someone comparable or better, and pocket some assets then I call it a win.

DucksUnited

Mar 16, 2022
Which doesn't mean much at all because all 3 players are expiring deals. The cap space means nothing to us as long as the Samuelis are fine footing the bill.

Not sure how you would goto your boss when you’re brand new to the company. And explain you spent their money on something that you shouldn’t have.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Not sure how you would goto your boss when you’re brand new to the company. And explain you spent their money on something that you shouldn’t have.

Why shouldn't he have done what was necessary to facilitate the deal? The Samuelis obviously okayed it. So what's the issue?

DucksUnited

Mar 16, 2022
We… did better than just a 2nd, though?

Not high on this goaltender. As another fan said, it’s not even their best goaltender they have in their prospect pool. This seems like AHL fodder to me, goaltenders are a dime a dozen. What’s the point of even getting clang?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Why shouldn't he have done what was necessary to facilitate the deal? The Samuelis obviously okayed it. So what's the issue?
I mean, we also need to actually fill out an NHL roster for the rest of the year, and ideally not entirely with guys like Mayhew. These two are NHLers and get to audition for a new contract. Being upset over their inclusion seems so weird.

Reactions: McDonald19

DucksUnited

Mar 16, 2022

That’s what we’re all gonna question from here on out. What exactly was on the table from 4 different teams asking for Rakell

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
There's probably an internal budget and we can't be anywhere close to it at the moment. I doubt the Samuelis are going to be asking further questions.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not high on this goaltender. As another fan said, it’s not even their best goaltender they have in their prospect pool. This seems like AHL fodder to me, goaltenders are a dime a dozen. What’s the point of even getting clang?

The Penguins have two stud goaltender prospects right now. That shouldn't fault that Clang looks very good.

Reactions: MMC

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
From Corey Pronman at The Athletic:

"Rakell is a good player but wingers don’t get premium prices like centers and defensemen, as we saw in the days leading up to the deadline. Still, the Ducks were able to get various assets. Zach Aston-Reese is a fine player. He works hard and has some puck game but he’s a below-average skater, not a true driver of offense and a pending UFA. Dominik Simon is a throw-in as a skilled player who lacks size and speed and is a fringe NHLer. The real returns for Anaheim are the future in the second-round pick and Calle Clang. Clang is an athletic and highly intelligent goaltender who has been quite successful versus men despite not being the biggest goalie. He projects as being a low-end starting goalie or a very good backup.

Penguins: B
Ducks: B+"

DucksUnited

Mar 16, 2022
I mean, we also need to actually fill out an NHL roster for the rest of the year, and ideally not entirely with guys like Mayhew. These two are NHLers and get to audition for a new contract. Being upset over their inclusion seems so weird.

Lots of players hit waivers the last few days. Reading how ecstatic penguins fans about how these 2 are off their roster?? makes me think we should have went to the waivers for pickups

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
That’s what we’re all gonna question from here on out. What exactly was on the table from 4 different teams asking for Rakell
Evidently less than what we got, unless you think our entire front office (not just Verbeek but the AGM’s too) is incompetent. I doubt they took a worse deal, just because.

It sucks we couldn’t get more, but Rakell needed to be traded a year ago. As of now, he’s a rental complementary second line winger. That’s not exactly a prime asset. I wish we had traded him last season or the season before, because he had value with his relatively low cap hit.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
A pattern of bad trades for top quality players.
Late picks and no top prospects. At this point I'd rather get BM back that's how bad I'd grade Verbeek so far.
I will give him the off-season

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Scouting isn’t science, you can probably ask ten scouts and they won’t have a consensus on who was their best. With us, he’s clearly the second best. Saying goalies are „dime a dozen“ is just wrong, and the kid is currently doing far more impressive things than to warrant AHL projections. It just seems like with the Boston trade people picked up the names of the other team’s two highest regarded prospects and decided to be upset with everything else, despite little to no knowledge of any of these kids. Not sure why a guy like Joseph would need to be more highly regarded.

DucksUnited

Mar 16, 2022
A pattern of bad trades for top quality players.
Late picks and no top prospects. At this point I'd rather get BM back that's how bad I'd grade Verbeek so far.
I will give him the off-season

A lot of people are feeling that way. When you first heard Mansons return? you thought Anaheim found a Yzerman. Nope! Don’t count your chickens before they 🐣 😂

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
this is probably the best offer verbeek got for rakell. same with lindholm

i would've liked better prospects, but we clearly rate these guys higher than the rest of the league does. rakell hasn;t been good for a while now so i'm not surprised at the return. verbeek didn't exactly kill it with these trades but i also don't think he's turning down better offers for the ones he accepted. BM should have traded these guys a few years ago when their value was higher but he didn't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad