Confirmed Trade: [ANA/MIN] John Klingberg (50%) for Andrej Sustr, Nikita Nesterenko, 2025 4th round pick

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
Well, that's pretty much what they are capable of these days.

Zegras might be the only good thing that's on that team right now.

A very good candidate to be the next Edmonton / Buffalo. Be prepared for rebuilding the rebuild that was built on the first rebuild.
as a ducks fan i agree....this is what happens when you try to build teams around 20 year old and the next draft pick....when kids are brought up with a team that losing is not only ok but wanted, then wonder why those same kids (a few years later) dont know how to win at that level....ducks have a great prospect pool, but again those prospects go from the solution to the problem very quick in that environment.

and just remember when klingberg "rebounds" , that its the ducks team that is the tire fire and wasnt klingberg....just like the case with gibson

Reactions: glovesave_35

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
as a ducks fan i agree....this is what happens when you try to build teams around 20 year old and the next draft pick....when kids are brought up with a team that losing is not only ok but wanted, then wonder why those same kids (a few years later) dont know how to win at that level....ducks have a great prospect pool, but again those prospects go from the solution to the problem very quick in that environment.

and just remember when klingberg "rebounds" , that is ducks team that is the tire fire and wasnt klingberg....just like the case with gibson
This is where the fire that is Zegras comes in. People, including the coach, think he's a "clown" for being a fiery competitor. I LOVE that his desire to be good at hockey goes right to his core. He's the anti-Cam Fowler, and every shift matters.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

and just remember when klingberg "rebounds" , that its the ducks team that is the tire fire and wasnt klingberg....just like the case with gibson

Right, I don't mean to undermine the Ducks as an organization.

But I just hope that it's something that the Blues would try to avoid. Having a strong core of veterans that will be around for long is important, especially those that can still contribute.

Going into it, I hope that the Blues would be at least retaining 3-5 skilled vets, such as Schenn, Buchnevich, Binnington, Faulk, to shepherd the kids around. That way, if we come out of it in 24 or 25, then we can hit the ground running. Contention would not be far away at that point.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Well that's just simply not true. Terry has developed into a legit first line forward and McTavish is second in rookie scoring in his age 19 season.

I know Zegras is the player most associate with the team when they think of the Ducks, but he hasn't yet proven to be the best player on the team. On a more consistent basis that's Terry.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nesterenko is 5-3-8 in his last 5 at BU. 21 yo; 6'2". If Anaheim signs him, he's about what they're looking for. Kling has been good lately, and has always been super talented.
A lot of Wild fans who pay attention to our prospect camps and prospects in general had good things to say about him as an under the radar guy.

Well that's just simply not true. Terry has developed into a legit first line forward and McTavish is second in rookie scoring in his age 19 season.

I know Zegras is the player most associate with the team when they think of the Ducks, but he hasn't yet proven to be the best player on the team. On a more consistent basis that's Terry.
wait, don't you guys have Drysdale? I know he's injured, but he is very talented.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
A lot of Wild fans who pay attention to our prospect camps and prospects in general had good things to say about him as an under the radar guy.

wait, don't you guys have Drysdale? I know he's injured, but he is very talented.
Ducks have one of the best defensive prospect pools in the league. Drysdale was injured most of the year.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Yeah he should count as well, left him out due to being injured but he's another big piece that's already arrived. It's definitely more than just Zegras.

Reactions: Daz28

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Well, he chose a perennial doormat of an organization to go to. Not likely to be exclusively his agent's fault.

There hasn't been much of anything good coming out of Anaheim for years.
I was referencing to him turning down the multiyear extension offered by Dallas and go to free agency instead, which backfired hard.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Drysdale should be a beaut, sucks he’s been injured all year.

Then next couple years we have Mintyukov, zellweger, hinds, lacombe, luneau coming up.

Add a top 5 forward this year to zegras mctavish lundestrom and terry and our top 9 starts to form nicely.

Still hoping perreault comtois or Tracey will develop higher…. All 3 kinda struggling tho… pastujov looks great tho

Reactions: Leonardo87
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
In 1 year this dude went from turning down $60M, 8 year deal, (or something around there) to getting a nothing contract and being traded for a 4th round pick. The dude and his agent threw away his career.. after he f***ed up by signing a $4.5M under valued contract to start his career (played it safe with long term, cheap dollar).
That first contract is what it is. If he settled in ad a 2nd or 3rd pair 30 point guy with no real contribution it would have been a major win for the player. The only reason he was even in a position to turn down a big contract is because he became a big producer and offense generator.

They definitely over-played their hand with this UFA period. But it is really easy to see how it happened. We would have to know the actual UFA process with his agent, but I suspect there were still very good options on the table and they didn't jump, offers got pulled.

I've always been a Klingberg fan. I hope he has a good run and finds a good home for the next few years. He was a sight for sore eyes after the awful years after Zubov retired.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
He’s having arguably the worst defensive season in history and people are surprised he only returned a 4th?

Reactions: byrath

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I really like this deal, wasn’t expecting this at all. Klingberg should do well in our system.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Sometimes "betting" on yourself is gambling on yourself. He turned down a $50M deal with the Stars to likely becoming a journeyman player making $2-3M a year.

His agent probably negotiated that Stars extension contract, so it's all on Klingberg himself.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Well, that's pretty much what they are capable of these days.

A very good candidate to be the next Edmonton / Buffalo. Be prepared for rebuilding the rebuild that was built on the first rebuild.
Man's trying to jinx them into getting Bedard.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I don't think I've been this unhappy with a player before. Dogged it for 4/5ths of his time with us and decided in the last 10 games to give a crap. Of course it's better than nothing, but f*** me, it's real close to nothing.

Good riddance to the Swedish giraffe. I wish I could say I hope he does well wherever he goes, but I'm perfectly happy to not think of him ever again.

Reactions: Ducks

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
In 1 year this dude went from turning down $60M, 8 year deal, (or something around there) to getting a nothing contract and being traded for a 4th round pick. The dude and his agent threw away his career.. after he f***ed up by signing a $4.5M under valued contract to start his career (played it safe with long term, cheap dollar).
Yet he ended up a multi-millionaire before turning 30.

Unless he has an appetite for gambling and other vices, he's still rich AF.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I don't think I've been this unhappy with a player before. Dogged it for 4/5ths of his time with us and decided in the last 10 games to give a crap. Of course it's better than nothing, but f*** me, it's real close to nothing.

Good riddance to the Swedish giraffe. I wish I could say I hope he does well wherever he goes, but I'm perfectly happy to not think of him ever again.
Agreed and I find it so odd, why the f*** would you sign here for 1 year at same money you were offered for 7?

Then you suck ass and look absolutely uninterested even playing when you have the privilege. Klingberg can truly suck it.

Ducks paid him a lot of cash for his attempt to get more and got a 4th for it, dude is trash.

Yet he ended up a multi-millionaire before turning 30.

Unless he has an appetite for gambling and other vices, he's still rich AF.
Okay man, you think he'd prefer the $50-60M now or not? That's the question. What you're saying is irrelevant.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
60 million is still 60 million though.

Agreed and I find it so odd, why the f*** would you sign here for 1 year at same money you were offered for 7?

Then you suck ass and look absolutely uninterested even playing when you have the privilege. Klingberg can truly suck it.

Ducks paid him a lot of cash for his attempt to get more and got a 4th for it, dude is trash.

Okay man, you think he'd prefer the $50-60M now or not? That's the question. What you're saying is irrelevant.
People are making it sound like he is destitute.

Okay he missed the powerball but he still set for life with the mega millions.

How much money do people need? Dude has made 36 million playing hockey.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Not a prove it deal when you sign for $8 million on a team that was clearly going to tank for Bedard. So, on a terrible defensive team, Klingberg was clearly exposed for his defensive deficiences. Massive difference between Ana and Dal with Heiskenen, Lindell, Suter on the left side as partners.

A prove it deal would have been to a better club at $5 mill to maintain or increase his value. Now, he's not ever going to get term longer than say 2-3 years since he's going to turn 31 in August.
Klingberg wàs in Dallas way before Heiskanen, Lindell and Suter

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
He’s having arguably the worst defensive season in history and people are surprised he only returned a 4th?
You believe he magically lost all of his ability at 30 yo in one season?

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
You believe he magically lost all of his ability at 30 yo in one season?
His defense had been steadily getting worse for years in Dallas as well. And whether or not he was just pouting in Anaheim he didn’t just put up mediocre numbers, he put up historically bad numbers

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
People are making it sound like he is destitute.

Okay he missed the powerball but he still set for life with the mega millions.

How much money do people need? Dude has made 36 million playing hockey.
Wtf are you talking about? He got offered around $50M, he chose to not take that.

"how much money you need", this shit you're going on about is IRRELEVANT. Or are you his MOM or something saying "my boy needs not money" otherwise you're instantly wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad