Confirmed Trade: [ANA/BUF] Ilya Lyubushkin for MIN 2025 4th

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ducks basically parted with a bunch of 6 and 7’s and added more 5 and 6’s (who won‘t be overwhelmed in a #4 role) to their D. Also brought in a lot of grit and physicality to the blue line which was really needed.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If teams are willing to trade draft picks for Boosh, then he wasn’t going to survive waivers. And he is not only a #8, but can only file a role if Clifton or Johnson are out. That’s not the type of No. 8 you keep on the main roster. I think Sabres fans would have loved to keep him as depth, but unfortunately it wasn’t really an option.

But Sabres shouldn’t trade any more depth. Bryson and Clague are a good/fine No. 8 and 9. You have legit prospects after that they may be ready for some games. It’s pretty good depth
Yes, he doesn't survive waivers, but there was no reason to waive him. You can keep eight D and one extra forward. Waive Comrie. The three-headed goalie thing does not work.

I guess it is the summer and people just assume everyone will be healthy but they will not.

Dahlin -- 78
Power -- 79
Samuellson -- 55
Jokiharu- 60
Lyubuskin -- 68
Bryson --59

Bryson's number includes benching, but starters miss lots of games and it's pretty common to be down to the #8 during the year -- forget about the playoffs.

Bryson/Clague are horrific depth guys. I don't want to see them in one NHL game

Stillman has been somehow declared a solid NHL d-men despite minimal evidence.

Maybe GMKA has another trade, but losing the depth will matter. I'd bet on it.

The one possible exception might be Ryan Johnson being ready to play in the NHL in 2023-24. That changes everything. I just don't see it happening

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
With the additions of Erik Johnson and Clifton someone was going to go. Will be interesting to see if Cecconi or Ryan Johnson get any opportunities should there be any injuries?

Can't wait to hear After The Whistle's take.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
With the additions of Erik Johnson and Clifton someone was going to go. Will be interesting to see if Cecconi or Ryan Johnson get any opportunities should there be any injuries?

Can't wait to hear After The Whistle's take.

Cecconi is likely pretty down the depth chart. Assuming we waive Bryson down to Rochester.......the first callup due to injury would likely either be Bryson or Clague. Even Jeremy Davies has 22 NHL games under his belt.

Johnson might make a play for injury callup around midseason or so.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why does BUF want a 4th round pick more than Lyubushkin?

They had eight D signed on one way deals plus Owen Power. Even if they kept 8 D on the opening roster, that'd mean waiving one player and then having an expensive healthy scratch. Since he's in a contract year, I wouldn't be surprised if Lyubushkin (and his agent) weren't too excited when Buffalo signed two additional RHD this summer.

LHD: Dahlin-Power-Samuelsson-Stillman-Bryson
RHD: Jokiharju-Johnson-Clifton-Lyubushkin

They loosened up the log jam a bit. Along with the draft pick, Buffalo frees up the salary. I'm sure the owner doesn't mind not paying 2.75 mil for a potential healthy scratch.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Was hoping the Ducks would’ve been able to grab this type of dman off waivers to start the season rather than use picks for one. They can have their pick of anyone going on waivers since they’ll have that top waiver priority spot to start.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Was hoping the Ducks would’ve been able to grab this type of dman off waivers to start the season rather than use picks for one. They can have their pick of anyone going on waivers since they’ll have that top waiver priority spot to start.
Probably not this type of dman. But, yes, some other worthy depth options.

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Because they added 2 RHD in free agency who they feel are a better fit for the team.
Meh stupid trade imo he's already reliable as a bottom pairing D as we know someone will get hurt Clague and Bryson are worth nothing as replacements. What logic to trade a harder to get RD depth over simply dropping the useless LD depth.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI

Not going to lose too much sleep over a 4th round pick to get a guy Verbeek clearly wanted to bring in.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Buffalo frees up salary and gets a mid round pick. Plus they do good by a player heading to healthy scratch territory. Ducks get a solid dman for a low price and easy potential to recover said pick or improve it deadline time.
Win win win for the player ducks and Sabres.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Sabres now have what - $8M to play with going into the season? Would like to see that space used, especially if we shore up the goaltending position.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Some pretty revisionist history on Boosh by my fellow Buffalo fans. Shows how much a handful of good hits and 1 highlight reel goal can skew people’s perception on a player.

Boosh was most likely the worst defensemen in the NHL last season to play 1000+ minutes. Terrible at EV offense, terrible at EV defense, did not play on the pp, terrible at PK, and takes bad penalties.
C4ECAE00-84AA-44E0-9CA7-38AE552D5382.jpeg

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Some pretty revisionist history on Boosh by my fellow Buffalo fans. Shows how much a handful of good hits and 1 highlight reel goal can skew people’s perception on a player.

Boosh was most likely the worst defensemen in the NHL last season to play 1000+ minutes.
View attachment 737692

Terrible in Toronto too... he is a #6 at best, but hopefully in the press box.

He is a good hitter, but he won't help you win.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Stillman had solid analytics. I hope bryson and Klague never suit up for the Sabres again. Give me Johnson first.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014

Boosh was most likely the worst defensemen in the NHL last season to play 1000+ minutes. Terrible at EV offense, terrible at EV defense, did not play on the pp, terrible at PK, and takes bad penalties.
View attachment 737692
Perfect for where Anaheim is in their rebuild

Reactions: BFLO

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

View attachment 737692

Only if you trust them there numbers, the same numbers that are in matter, and I don’t trust matter- it makes up everything!

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015

View attachment 737692
With some of the dregs the Ducks were playing on the D-line last season, he's an improvement.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad