Post-Game Talk: An unenthusiastic PGT - Predators 6, Jets 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I have no problem with it. I don't know why a coach would choose to not play his best players. Especially when it was dictated in part by what the other coach was doing.That's the whole point. And it really sort of worked except our goalie crapped the bed.

And you are in fantasy land if you think Maurice was going to hard match the Stastny line against the Johansen. They have no history of doing that together. Over time that possibly could happen depending on results but not right now.

Because said players were having an off-game defensively (that whole line is weak defensively)? That's the whole point of feeling the game. It just seems like a bad decision to me at least. If hard-matching lines is not getting you the results that you want, why stick with it?

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Not much discussion yet on how much Stastny potentially offers to our PP . Wow, a really smart left hand shooter that can play down low so well. The opportunity for Wheeler (as qb) to now generate an attack on net is mindnumbing . Won`t describe all the attack options open, but Stas clearly can now work with Wheeler/Scheif to generate scoring from the slot and general "strong side". Just having this "strong side" attack should cause the entire defensive structure to collapse lower to the net, and really open up opportunity for the one-timer to Laine in his office ( especially if Buff cooperates as well).... Methinks we can look forward to great things here. AND, think about how a killer PP potentially forces the other team to play differently than they might otherwise. A killer PP is much more effective than a goon or two in disuading teams from going over the line with physicality and/or other intimidation tactics!

Shaibu

Nov 12, 2016
laine is this teams best player. HE MUST have mcdavidsminits. he will surpass mcdavids by BIG margin in Points. he should be good already for 100 Points after say 49 games, but only coach holding him back. but instead coach play wheelesr crazily. result is 72 Points in 63 games. im not convinced

avgard hockeyprofessor

Ron-Swanson-No.gif

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
McCurdy weighs in

Piss off, McCurdy. I'll be frank. I'm not a "hockey fan". I don't care about "great exciting hockey games". I'm a "just win the f***ing game, Jets" fan. So, I don't want to see the Jets and Perds. I want all the stronger teams upset in every round so we can play weaker opponents that we can crush like bugs in boring one sided games that have viewers tuning out all across North America. Well, everywhere but Winnipeg, obviously. Honestly, beyond my contractually obligated attended games, I probably won't even watch the playoff games. I'll just check the score post game and if they win, watch the highlights. I'm old. Don't want to put too much strain on the ticker.

Sometimes, I miss the days when this team sucked. The losses were like meh, who cares? Had a tank thread to bitch and moan in. Could look forward to an exciting entry draft where we had high picks. Good times. Good times.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Because said players were having an off-game defensively (that whole line is weak defensively)? That's the whole point of feeling the game. It just seems like a bad decision to me at least. If hard-matching lines is not getting you the results that you want, why stick with it?

I disagree with your assessment. They did not have an off game defensively. I thought they played they game to a saw off. You stick with it because it has worked all season. You stick with it because it was working up to that point in the game. We were ahead 5-3. You don't re-invent the wheeel at that point. You dance with the girl you brought to the dance.

The players who had an off game defensively were Myers and Kulikov plus Helle

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Piss off, McCurdy. I'll be frank. I'm not a "hockey fan". I don't care about "great exciting hockey games". I'm a "just win the ****ing game, Jets" fan. So, I don't want to see the Jets and Perds. I want all the stronger teams upset in every round so we can play weaker opponents that we can crush like bugs in boring one sided games that have viewers tuning out all across North America. Well, everywhere but Winnipeg, obviously. Honestly, beyond my contractually obligated attended games, I probably won't even watch the playoff games. I'll just check the score post game and if they win, watch the highlights. I'm old. Don't want to put too much strain on the ticker.

Sometimes, I miss the days when this team sucked. The losses were like meh, who cares? Had a tank thread to ***** and moan in. Could look forward to an exciting entry draft where we had high picks. Good times. Good times.

Woa. Is this supposed to be funny?

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I disagree with your assessment. They did not have an off game defensively. I thought they played they game to a saw off. You stick with it because it has worked all season. You stick with it because it was working up to that point in the game. We were ahead 5-3. You don't re-invent the wheeel at that point. You dance with the girl you brought to the dance.

The players who had an off game defensively were Myers and Kulikov plus Helle

As you say, but I hope this is not how we use our assets going forward just because of the rigid need to hard-match the lines. It makes no sense to play the Stasny line 11 minutes 5v5 when they are on fire like that.

We had no problems distributing the ice time in a balanced way when Chef went down. That was also the most dominant hockey we have ever played.

Now our success hangs in the hands of one line, and I fear we are giving the opponents value by having the first line such a weak corsi line.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
As you say, but I hope this is not how we use our assets going forward just because of the rigid need to hard-match the lines. It makes no sense to play the Stasny line 11 minutes 5v5 when they are on fire like that.

We had no problems distributing the ice time in a balanced way when Chef went down. That was also the most dominant hockey we have ever played.

Now our success hangs in the hands of one line.

It makes no sense to you.......but you are not the coach. I perfectly understand why the Stastny line was not put over the boards when Lavy sent over Johansen.

I think you are not able to see the forest through the trees. Probably because of Laine bias IMO

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Now our success hangs in the hands of one line, and I fear we are giving the opponents value by having the first line such a weak corsi line.

They appeared to be on fire because they were given easier matchups.

People expect the scheifele line to play against the best lines in the NHL night in and night out and never get hemmed in their own zone, never look "bad" defensively. It's totally unrealistic.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
It makes no sense to you.......but you are not the coach. I perfectly understand why the Stastny line was not put over the boards when Lavy sent over Johansen.

I think you are not able to see the forest through the trees. Probably because of Laine bias IMO

Notice how you again skip the topic at hand to focus on me?

Frustrating to talk to you about anything. So I won't.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
They appeared to be on fire because they were given easier matchups.

People expect the scheifele line to play against the best lines in the NHL night in and night out and never get hemmed in their own zone, never look "bad" defensively. It's totally unrealistic.

Of course that is not the expectation. But that line is not even close to a 50% relCorsi line. They are defensively weak, but they have the ability to create incredible scoring chances and capitalize.

If they were at least close to being even corsi-wise, I would not be saying they are weak defensively, but it also matches the eye-test. They have far more defensive lapses than any other line. They are a high-risk high-reward line, and it does not make sense to me to play them that much when you are leading by two goals.

I'm not saying they are a bad line, I'm saying we should adjust according to lines' strenghts and weaknesses and the game situation.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

As Maurice said and I quote- " Chevy manages the forest, and I manage the trees". I know"certain board members" here would like to manage the trees, but unfortunately they'll have to live with what our coach wants--and so far, he's done a great job, at "tree management.":thumbu:

Last edited:

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
So when everyone is healthy. What is the lineup?

I think the top 9 stays as it is..maybe. Wouldn't shock me to see lines like this

Wheeler/Schief/Connor
Laine/Stastny/Ehlers
Armia/Little/Perrault
Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Roslo is the odd man out.

Nothing against Roslo because I think he has been fantastic but I can see PoMo going with this or something like this
You must be left handed ;)

It's going to be a decision that leaves someone of note out of the lineup. I concur that Tanev adds some important elements and can impact a game despite what some may think or believe. However Roslovic is just too skilled and quick and offensively blessed to not be in I believe.

A lot will depend on the team and game they play on who slots it. That's not a bad thing, the internal pressure that has been bandied about becomes a real factor.

Generally I am not an over reaction or react too quickly type but going forward who wouldn't swap Stastny for Little. Just saying, when push comes to shove and if the team could enable that choice, well I know what I prefer and by a lot. The overall impact and strength of the team is far better imo.

Nice to run the rest of this year with both but I hope there will be some thought to this option. Is Little able to traded or does he have a full no move deal this summer? Roslovic can slide in at C at some point and we have more than enough wingers to do this.

It will be an interesting summer, till then we have a run to finish!

Reactions: GNP

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Notice how you again skip the topic at hand to focus on me?

Frustrating to talk to you about anything. So I won't.

I skipped nothing.

You expect the coach to do something that is unrealistic. It's a brand new line with no history of taking those tough matchups. You somehow expect the coach to decide that what he's done effectively all season is something he should abandon in this one particular game. Perhaps if the Stastny line stays together long enough they will eventually earn that role, or a portion of that role. Who knows. But it's pretty ridiculous to suggest Maurice should be faulted for that decision.

I don't know why you think it should be any different.....except I suspect why I do.....that's what the second part addressed. Sorry for calling it like I see it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I didn't mind Morrow tonight - you can see he is a puck mover. Good depth guy.

Hellebuyck needs to be better than that - but games like that have been few and far between so he gets a pass from me. Still think not picking up a good vet backup is going to be an issue for us.

We need Trouba Tanev and Lowry back for sure.

I think we can feast on Ekholm in the playoffs. I hate Subban. Josi is goood.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I skipped nothing.

You expect the coach to do something that is unrealistic. It's a brand new line with no history of taking those tough matchups. You somehow expect the coach to decide that what he's done effectively all season is something he should abandon in their one particular game. Perhaps if the Stastny line stays together long enough they will eventually earn that role, or a portion of that role. Who knows. But it's pretty ridiculous to suggest Maurice should be faulted for that decision.

I don't know why you think it should be any different.....except I suspect why I do.....that's what the second part addressed. Sorry for calling it like I see it.

How is it unrealistic when we were already doing it when Chef went down? Plenty of games where the TOI was managed in a balanced manner. That was also the best hockey we have ever played.

I also have an opinion about your bias but how about we leave that childish talk to the children.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
As mentioned its disappointing loss but good news:
Stastny was great. Even just starting to get working with everyone he puts up 2 points? And PP1 looked f***ing ridiculous!
I made some money on the loss - though would have rather lost it and seen the Jets hold the lead.

I feel team played an excellent game but Preds just outplayed them. More a testament to the Preds skill and ability to match our play (If we had scored 10 goals I got the feeling they would have scored 11 last night). I'm going to give Helle a break as Morrow and Chiarot were a bit of a disaster and having another competent defender probably negates one of those goals.

Morrow - Chiarot was bad IMO but plan was never for that to be the 3rd pair. Need Enstrom and Trouba back stat.

Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad