Amnesty Buyouts

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Yeah it is, for now anyways, unless we keep him for four more years. I can think of 10 teams that would trade for Hossa right now, he fetches at minimum a decent prospect + 1st. He's a HIGH IQ player who was second in conference points last year, he'll be fine for at least 3-4 more years.

depends on if he retires before his deal ends. This would give the Hawks a lot of dead Cap Space for a few years.

You have to think about this possibility when you get that chance. Maybe it will be time to move on then. We don't even know how good he still is and he is getting older and more banged up

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah it is, for now anyways, unless we keep him for four more years. I can think of 10 teams that would trade for Hossa right now, he fetches at minimum a decent prospect + 1st. He's a HIGH IQ player who was second in conference points last year, he'll be fine for at least 3-4 more years.

I don't know about that. Maybe to some team trying to reach the cap floor. But...no. The low payroll teams are beginning to realize that their opportunity to compete is through prospect development.

But do you even want to trade Hossa?? Not a great idea. He'll retire with at least 4 years left on that deal no matter where he is playing. Even if Hawks trade him in a year or two they will still be saddled with a near-$4m cap hit for those 4 seasons after he retires. OUCH.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I don't know about that. Maybe to some team trying to reach the cap floor. But...no. The low payroll teams are beginning to realize that their opportunity to compete is through prospect development.

But do you even want to trade Hossa?? Not a great idea. He'll retire with at least 4 years left on that deal no matter where he is playing. Even if Hawks trade him in a year or two they will still be saddled with a near-$4m cap hit for those 4 seasons after he retires. OUCH.

Oh, I don't want to trade him, not yet. He's an amazing talent to watch, the way Hossa's game has progressed every year has been impressive, he plays to his own skill and speed level much in the manner Jagr does now. Some talented forwards are exactly the opposite of that, like Roenick was.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Oh, I don't want to trade him, not yet. He's an amazing talent to watch, the way Hossa's game has progressed every year has been impressive, he plays to his own skill and speed level much in the manner Jagr does now. Some talented forwards are exactly the opposite of that, like Roenick was.

So basically you're cool with a $4m cap hit for four seasons from 2017 - 2021 for a guy who isn't playing.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
1 thing about Hossas cap hit when he retires, is that the cap 'should' be higher, possibly mid 70's..and there might be a new CBA where it no longer counts, in 2019.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
If Hossa somehow gets traded, I think that cap hit would be split amongst the teams but not evenly for the last four years of the deal when everyone is assuming Hossa won't be playing.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Cap could be $80M at that point. Might not be that big a deal then.

Salaries are going to inflate as well. Top end talent will be looking for $8-10 million a year. ****, they already are looking for that much on the open market. Having any cap being eaten up by a retired player won't be a good thing.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
If Hossa somehow gets traded, I think that cap hit would be split amongst the teams but not evenly for the last four years of the deal when everyone is assuming Hossa won't be playing.

If the Hawks traded Hossa after this coming season, they will have paid him about $10.5m more than his cap hit over the first four years of the deal. That would be their total penalty if they were to trade Hossa. If he retires with four years left on the deal, that's about a $2.6m cap hit per year that would be attributed to the Hawks. So, it gets worse if the Hawks hold on longer because that cap hit/salary widens every year until after the 2015/16 season.

Honestly it's pretty tough to picture a situation where Hossa is really tradeable to anyone, for much of anything.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
James Mirtle (respected Globe and Mail journalist) tweeted that most GM's feel the cap benefit recapture rule will never be used. They will just place the player on LTIR and the player will collect the money instead of officially retiring.

If that's the case, Hossa will not be bought out.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
James Mirtle (respected Globe and Mail journalist) tweeted that most GM's feel the cap benefit recapture rule will never be used. They will just place the player on LTIR and the player will collect the money instead of officially retiring.

If that's the case, Hossa will not be bought out.

But how would they make sure that the player has a legit injury? Have them get lost into a dark alley where the "boys" would be waiting with a baseball bat? I don't think the league would take the teams word that the player just happened to be get a LTIR in their twilight years of their career.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
I still can't believe that made it in the CBA considering it affects quite a few teams. You'd think they players would have tried to shoot it down as well.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
But how would they make sure that the player has a legit injury? Have them get lost into a dark alley where the "boys" would be waiting with a baseball bat? I don't think the league would take the teams word that the player just happened to be get a LTIR in their twilight years of their career.

Player can say he has a chronic back injury, or reoccurring headaches. It's a loophole.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I still think it would need to be confirmed by a doctor.

I believe the only doctor that looks at the players are the players doctors, or the teams doctors. I don't believe the NHL BoG has it's own doctors as a 3rd party.

So if the owner wants to keep his entire team in tact and not have dead cap space, he can tell his doctor to go along with it.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Nothing would stop the NHL from bringing in their own doctors to confirm it if they suspected shenanigans. Which I am sure they would if one of these players on a "cheat deal" suddenly would find themselves on LTIR when it was time to retire.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Nothing would stop the NHL from bringing in their own doctors to confirm it if they suspected shenanigans. Which I am sure they would if one of these players on a "cheat deal" suddenly would find themselves on LTIR when it was time to retire.

That depends on whats in the CBA..they cant make up rules as they go. They can't just bring in 3rd party doctors because they suspect shenanigans.

The fact that it was NHL GM's saying the cap benefit recapture rule would never be used tells you all you need to know.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I believe the only doctor that looks at the players are the players doctors, or the teams doctors. I don't believe the NHL BoG has it's own doctors as a 3rd party.

So if the owner wants to keep his entire team in tact and not have dead cap space, he can tell his doctor to go along with it.

wouldn't make a difference. Say it's a concussion and that he still feels the sympthoms. Nobody can say he lies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad