Amnesty Buyouts

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I'm not exactly positive on how they work, but it looks like every team under this new CBA is allowed 2 buyouts after this season, partly to help get down to the new cap. On 670 The Score this morning the 2 names listed to buyout for the Blackhawks were Montador and, surprisingly Hossa.

Just throwing it out there. Maybe someone can explain the buyouts a little better or has other players they would rather buyout.

I would buyout Montador and Olesz.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I agree on Montador and Olesz if Olesz counts against the cap. If not, Montador and Frolik.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
You have to keep all options on the table. If Hossa has another head injury this year, you might have to go that route.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Word is you can have one this summer and one the following summer if you choose.

Buy out Olesz this summer, wait to see who to buy out the following summer based on next years season.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
That would be so terrible to buy out Hossa. Not terribly unrealistic but just awful to think about

Martini*

The Score is dead on with the two.

You are gonna have to buy out Hossa. It was inevitable with his history of injury as of late and the length of his contract.

The Hawks are just being financially responsible, cant blame them.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hossa would have to be Savardian unhealthy for the hawks to do it.

No free agent would ever come to Chicago again if they bought out a big name elite player because his play dips after a major injury.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Hossa would have to be Savardian unhealthy for the hawks to do it.

No free agent would ever come to Chicago again if they bought out a big name elite player because his play dips after a major injury.

Free agents will go where the money is. Philly will but out Briz and Pronger and they'll continue to get free agents

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I wouldnt be completely against buying out Hossa. Maybe they can buy him out and then re-sign him to a shorter/less money contract?

If we lose him completely, our team will go further down the drain.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
No on Hossa.

Frolik and Montador for sure. Stanton and Olsen need looks at some point. Monty's head will explode sooner or later. Frolik is all about getting in the right areas and not cashing in.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
It may be possible to circumvent the new CBA whereas a team buys out a player and then re-signs them to a long term lower salary to fit better under the cap. Not sure if this will be possible under the new CBA until we are filled in on the exact contents of the new CBA. Of any of the bigger contracts, Hossa's makes the most sense in buying out and then either Olesz or Montador.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No on Hossa.

Frolik and Montador for sure. Stanton and Olsen need looks at some point. Monty's head will explode sooner or later. Frolik is all about getting in the right areas and not cashing in.

Frolik has 1 yr left after this season at 2.33M cap hit (1.9M actual salary)

Buying him out is waste of a buyout ,, He is tradeable if need be

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I wouldnt be completely against buying out Hossa. Maybe they can buy him out and then re-sign him to a shorter/less money contract?

If we lose him completely, our team will go further down the drain.

Yeah that will go well...

Bowman: "Hey Marian, remember that MASSIVE contract you signed that would have you get paid millions of $$$ for the next 10 years?"

Hossa: "Yeah of course i do! I love that contract and the millions of $$$!"

Bowman: "Great well since you were throttled by Torres and we're not sure if you're going to be the same player again we're going to buy you out. But then we're going to give you a NEW contract where you make less money and for not as long! Sound good?"

Hossa: "Sure! I love making less money! I also love signing new contracts after we already agree to a contract a few years ago! Thanks Mr. Bowman!"

SugarKane88

Non-Registered User
Jun 23, 2010
You can't re-sign a player you just bought out.

Buying out Hossa is a dumb idea anyway. His cap hit isn't bad at all.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I agree, but he shouldn't be bought out, doesn't make as much sense as others.

I prefer him to be bought out. Unless I completely missed something (Olesz counting against the cap), I'd try to flip Frolik for a seventh-round pick. If no deal, buy his sorry ass out. I don't even want to get into his fluke playoff performances.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I prefer him to be bought out. Unless I completely missed something (Olesz counting against the cap), I'd try to flip Frolik for a seventh-round pick. If no deal, buy his sorry ass out. I don't even want to get into his fluke playoff performances.

Olesz is obvious, Monty and even Oduya make more sense than Frolik. And I like Oduya.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
They aren't going to apply it to Oduya right after an extension. If Stanley thought the deal was dumb, he would not have offered it to him in the first place.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Unless the Hawks and Hossa know something that we don't...there's no way in hell that Hossa gets bought out. He's one of our best players.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah that will go well...

Bowman: "Hey Marian, remember that MASSIVE contract you signed that would have you get paid millions of $$$ for the next 10 years?"

Hossa: "Yeah of course i do! I love that contract and the millions of $$$!"

Bowman: "Great well since you were throttled by Torres and we're not sure if you're going to be the same player again we're going to buy you out. But then we're going to give you a NEW contract where you make less money and for not as long! Sound good?"

Hossa: "Sure! I love making less money! I also love signing new contracts after we already agree to a contract a few years ago! Thanks Mr. Bowman!"

Pretty sure Hossa would get 2/3s of whats left on his current contract, and then he would also get his new contract, which could make him more money in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad