Olympics: American and Canadian refs when USA/CAN are playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Not really sure how Canadian refs reffing US games or US refs officiating Canadian games will remove conspiracy theorists from screaming bias.

I mean, if a US ref makes a bad call against Canada, can the people screaming transparency REALLY say they wouldn't be suspicious if the US benefits from Canada's struggles?

The refs are professionals. As said earlier, if you think a ref can't call games fairly (competence notwithstanding), you shouldn't watch the NHL either.

ElTailR

Apr 13, 2012
Geneva
The referees in North America have been doing it for longer, are professional, more qualified and overall just the best in the world.
No other way around it.

I'm sorry but what makes you say they are? Do you watch a lot of European leagues to say that?

(I personally prefer NHL refs to NLA refs but just throwing it like you did looks like an arrogant NA fan)

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I'm sorry but what makes you say they are? Do you watch a lot of European leagues to say that?

(I personally prefer NHL refs to NLA refs but just throwing it like you did looks like an arrogant NA fan)

because they receive ten times the training and funding, get paid more and referee in the fastest and best league in the world?

How is that being arrogant?

Im European, but the NHL refs are ofcourse the best in the world.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

They are refs in the National Hockey League.
If they were not the best they wouldn't be there. Similar to the players.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
These guys are pros and they ref in the biggest league in the world. Personally have no problem with it, they do their job rather than worry about the teams

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Refs are pros. Hell, sometimes it can work in the disfavour of the team that the ref is from because he is afraid to be accused of bias. Best refs are north American.

Have you seen many games around the world ??

Or do you repeat something that is being said ?

I watched many games ... NHL, NLA, SEL ... some KHL. for many yrs.

some NHL referees are horrible ... watch an article on Yahoo lately on the refs.
Specialy in such a conservative environment.

++

I have respect for referees ... and now that they are humans ... and it can go in both senses. They have a tough job ... .

But i never had refs of my club/organisation refering me against another team. Never.
And this is what is happening here.

++

I am not against referees ... i am against refs from a country refering their own country vs another.

Jedgi

Feb 12, 2008
Yeah I don't think it' right to have refs assigned to their countries' game. Even if they are more experienced, it seems too controversial.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Have you seen many games around the world ??

Or do you repeat something that is being said ?

I watched many games ... NHL, NLA, SEL ... some KHL. for many yrs.

some NHL referees are horrible ... watch an article on Yahoo lately on the refs.
Specialy in such a conservative environment.

++

I have respect for referees ... and now that they are humans ... and it can go in both senses. They have a tough job ... .

But i never had refs of my club/organisation refering me against another team. Never.
And this is what is happening here.

++

I am not against referees ... i am against refs from a country refering their own country vs another.

Eeeh yes! Have watched a lot of hockey in Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, quite a few KHL games, and so on. But that actually has very little to do with the argument. If a top Swedish referee got a job in the NHL and got the same level of training, money, support and got to referee in the best league in the world, he would also be far better than the rest of the Swedish referees.

Your argument really, really sucks. You claim is based solely on us trusting that you know best and that you have watched a lot of leagues and that we should simply follow your lead.

I get that you are opposed to referees reffing against their own nations, but that is not how your argument started. You have been ranting about really, really stupid and incoherent conspiracy theories that you have seen on Russian tv.

the cancelled goal is a very, very clear IIHF and your suggestion that is was planned in advance is the saddest thing I have ever seen and you should never be taken serious for posting something like that without any proof what so freaking ever.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
As an American, I'd be fine with two Canadian refs in a game against Canada. I've seen the US get boned too many times by non-NA refs in various sports.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Yeah I don't think it' right to have refs assigned to their countries' game.

it is disturbing.

I had an argument with my wife ... she is Russian ... she showed me a Russian analysis on the game USA - RUSSIA ... . It was very disturbing ....

And i replied : Refs wouldn't let it do.

she replied : the main ref was american.

I denied ... but it was true. Brad Meier ... .
official game page

++

Even if they are not twisted ... it allows for a lot of confusion in unclear situations.
This is why referees had always to be neutral in history and it should remain so.

Olympic organisation better fixes this.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
The simple fact that you are trusting anything from Russian TV, is just really, really funny.

What channel was it? Russia 1/2? or NTV?

Last edited:

suomi12

Jan 3, 2012
Finland
How is it even possible to have a Canadian ref when Canada plays? It's a joke.

Teemu Selänne: "If it had been any other player than Sidney Crosby, it wouldnt have been a penalty."

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Where do they find these refs? Because these Canadian refs, they were awesome in Finland - Canada game. I don't remember so good officiating in long, long time..

This should be standard to go with in International games. Let them play. I just remembered, why I fell in love with hockey back in times.

Im not sure if non-NHL refs should whistle any more. This was insanely entertaining. Hard battling, lots of hitting, no whining about little hooks and ****.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Funny how people keep the "they are professional" argument going.. They are professional indeed they are employed in America in the NHL, their employees are the same who invested alot of cash in team Canada or USA for example and not so much in Finland f.ex.

What if they have to make a troublesome decision aginst the US or CAN against some franchise player or countrymen will they lose their job in the NHL? This smells

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
You can't avoid bias in this kind of tournament. There are so few hockey countries with quality refs that, no matter what, the country the ref is from probably has some kind of stake in the outcome of the game.

Moreover, NA refs are better generally than their Euro counterparts.

I would much rather have one North American ref and one Euro ref in each game to give balance.

CK17

May 13, 2007
4 PPs in 3 games despite having the puck 75% of the time. I would prefer non-Canadian refs at this point.

Raekwon

Nov 28, 2011
How is it even possible to have a Canadian ref when Canada plays? It's a joke.

Teemu Selänne: "If it had been any other player than Sidney Crosby, it wouldnt have been a penalty."

i guess that explains the boarding call by the canadian ref on the hit on Benn in ot........:help:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Funny how people keep the "they are professional" argument going.. They are professional indeed they are employed in America in the NHL, their employees are the same who invested alot of cash in team Canada or USA for example and not so much in Finland f.ex.

What if they have to make a troublesome decision aginst the US or CAN against some franchise player or countrymen will they lose their job in the NHL? This smells

What do you think would happen to their job if it was found out that they helped fixed a match?

This argument smells.

S

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I don't have anything bad to say Canadian reffing in Finland - Canada game. It was one of the best efforts by referees that I have seen in ages. I hate power play circus, let them play.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
As an American, I have no problem with 4 Canadian NHL officials in a USA-Canada match. Even if its a gold medal game.

If I didn't trust NHL officials to be able to put their biases aside and ref a fair game I wouldn't watch hockey. I complain about bad calls all the time, but I've never believed it to be deliberate.

:laugh: Have you watched paul devorksi or kelly sutherland ref the canucks? :biglaugh:

CalgaryFan1988

Jan 13, 2004
Alberta
Visit site
I think any question of bias can be thrown out the window after that board on Benn.

The hockey is the best players in the world, the refs should be the best in the world as well. If they happen to be from Canada/USA or another country, who cares.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I think any question of bias can be thrown out the window after that board on Benn.

The hockey is the best players in the world, the refs should be the best in the world as well. If they happen to be from Canada/USA or another country, who cares.

But they should be tested, though. Cant know who is best if you dont compare.

I've watched and played years and years of hockey and there is a pattern to be good ref:

Do not whistle alot of penalties.

^ Learn that if you want to be great referee. Let them play.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
What do you think would happen to their job if it was found out that they helped fixed a match?

This argument smells.

S
Beeing a ref is difficult, you dont have to stand accused of "fixing a match" to make questionable reffing decisions. Strange decisions and mistakes are made almost every game. If the referee favors one country he will probably get away whit it, there will be some whining on hf after the game thats all

Last edited:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The simple fact that you are trusting anything from Russian TV, is just really, really funny.

What channel was it? Russia 1/2? or NTV?

It was channel 1. Pervi kanal.

You are in the error of believing that your channels are more fair. Huge mistake. I saw so many news change during a day ... .

Worth opening the eyes on Pervi kanal or al jazeera ... . They are not 100 % correct ... but just to have different views. That is a pill against brainwash.

++

Whatever ... Refs shouldn't take care of a game played by their nation.

As a player, i was never reffed by someone from my club/organisation or from the opponent. I never saw that. Well the country it is the same. He should be neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00