Olympics: American and Canadian refs when USA/CAN are playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
If there were finnish referee in ice hockey when Finland plays, i'm sure he would favor the other team. That happens in Ski jumping, snowboarding etc. Lower points to their countymen.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
These threads always show how much European sport (and perspectives) are influenced by soccer. Anyway, as a Canadian I am one of the many who would much prefer all American refs in a Canada - USA game than IIHF refs. They simply come across as incompetent frequently.

Regarding the 2010 gold medal game, any complaints about that are ridiculous. That game was called essentially perfectly. I honestly do not recall a single American (or Canadian) complaining about it.

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
With my earlier statements in mind, I'd still easily rather have all Canadian officials handling a USA-CAN gold medal game than IIHF refs

Good for you.

But I´m sorry, it doesn´t make me any more trustful. I would be as suspicious about having Russian refs is Russia-Finland game.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Did I say it wasn't? The problem is perception and potential for a controversy.

There is perception and possibility for controversy both ways. If you have EU refs, they could let their biases call against US and Canada much in the same way they can call favouring their country. We just have to trust that they'll be professional about it.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
International refs can't improve if they don't officiate big games. But the bigger problem is reputation, if Jarkko Ruutu does a big perfectly clean hit on a Sidney Crosby with his head down.. Its to the showers irregardless of who the ref is.
But Sidney Crosby does a dirty hit on Jarkko Ruutu - then they assume its acting, Sid cant make a dirty hit.. So no shower.

We should have robot refs, but we're not there yet so we have to live with some imperfections. NHL refs is ok but then they should be US refs in a Canada game etc. 1 from each when they play each other

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
There is perception and possibility for controversy both ways. If you have EU refs, they could let their biases call against US and Canada much in the same way they can call favouring their country. We just have to trust that they'll be professional about it.
EU is not a country. Could be a secret (anti-)fanboy of country x, but it's totally not the same thing as actually being from the same country that is playing in the game.

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
As an American, I have no problem with 4 Canadian NHL officials in a USA-Canada match. Even if its a gold medal game.

If I didn't trust NHL officials to be able to put their biases aside and ref a fair game I wouldn't watch hockey. I complain about bad calls all the time, but I've never believed it to be deliberate.

+1

If it were the other way around. These are professionals - not worth even thinking about.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Final should be played with no refs, if/when a team scores, just like in pond hockey, the team scored on has to center ice to take the puck up before being defended, all out chaos and war on ice should be the way this thing ends:)

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Where's the most risk? A professional NHL Canadian/American ref being biased or some part time ref out of Slovenia missing obvious calls and calling every hit a roughing?

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
Where's the most risk? A professional NHL Canadian/American ref being biased or some part time ref out of Slovenia missing obvious calls and calling every hit a roughing?

I rather have unbiased half-amateur than biased pro, if those were the choises. Anyway, I find the bad rep of IIHF refs way overblown.

I find it ridiculous that there isn´t at least a rule mandating the refs being from the other NA country whenever US or Canada play.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
If you want top level finnish refs at these tournaments, you're better off training them, than crying about the 'unfairness' here.
And then having them in Finland's games? My problem is having ref from the country that is playing. That sounds like the same problem. Solution that increases the problem sounds like a crappy solution.

You ask your players who they want - NHL officials with 20-30 years experience, or some amateur from xyz?
I didn't make that kind of juxtapose. Instead I called euro refs amateurs. This is not about "NHL officials", but the nationality on the passport.

No one explained yet why is it impossible to have nationality-wise unbiased NHL official when only other NA team is playing.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I think it can be a problem once.
I still remember what an awful job a Finnish ref did in 2005 World Championship semis Russia-Canada, just after we knocked Finland out of the tournament. I still laugh at anyone says that it was coincidental.
However, there are a lot of things concerned, so it's better for now just to hope the refs will act professional.

wereq

May 6, 2012
Well, It's Olympics and it's (officially) played under IIHF rules, so I can clearly see that NHL refs who are used to call games under NHL rules may have different view on some situations. That's why I understand that there were only NHL refs on Canada Cup/World Cup.
Second and more important point is that Olympics are about nations not leagues, so in my opinion every nation participating in hockey tournament should have max 2 refs and 2 linesmen.
Obviously, not calling games of your countrymen should be rule or, since there are 2 refs, both playing nations can have one :) - I know, a bit ridiculous idea but in comparison with todays situation with half of the refs from just 2 nations it really isn't so weird.
Todays USA-RUS game was some great hockey but with terrible officiating, on both sides, but still terrible, especially thanks to Vinnerborg who has made some ridiculously bad calls. So I don't really believe that there isn't better refs than some of them on Olympics right now.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
It's not ideal, but I'd rather have two NHL refs that happen to be from the same country as the teams than two European refs who have no experience in big games.

This times infinity. One has to ask if the NHL referees are simply of higher quality than those in other leagues, although not all of the North American officials are NHL officials. This has been a valid question since the 1987 WJC, where a Norweigan referee quickly lost control of the game that became the Punch-up in Piestany.

That said, the officiating in the USA-Russia game was pretty terrible both ways.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Two Canadian refs in the CAN vs. FIN game.. This sport is a disgrace sometimes [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
I actually prefer the international refs over the nhl ones, they just make the right calls, doesn't matter the situation, the teams the time on the clock just make the right god dman calls.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
The referees in North America have been doing it for longer, are professional, more qualified and overall just the best in the world.
No other way around it.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Its pretty hard to not have a North American Referee on every crew in these games when they make up 60 % of the officiating crew.

They took no swiss referee. And they aren't worse than others ... i feel a "main-mise" (intentional control) on that.
NHL referees can be atrocious ... in no way better than the others ...

Look USA - Russia ; head referee American. Highly disturbing. You see Quick moving the cage ... goal canceled !

Or it is organised in case of goal ... very disturbing.
Or it isn't planed ... but the door is opened for speculation. Loss of trust.

(i just saw on Russian TV an analysis on what happened during this game ... very disturbing and head referee Brad Meyer from US ... It really is disturbing. Meaning that you must have faith ... not to fall into the conspiracy theory ... )

I am financial analyst and watch news appearing minute by minute ... i saw soo many news being transformed during the day ... i know their is manipulation at this level. I always imagined that sport was out of reach of all that.
But after all : "give games to the folks and make them believe " was the moto of the Roman Emperors.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Refs are pros. Hell, sometimes it can work in the disfavour of the team that the ref is from because he is afraid to be accused of bias. Best refs are north American.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The referees in North America have been doing it for longer, are professional, more qualified and overall just the best in the world.
No other way around it.

Your assumption ... right ?

very much disagree with you. Lower a bit your opinion on yourself ... you are human ...like the rest of the world ;-)

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
They took no swiss referee. And they aren't worse than others ... i feel a "main-mise" (intentional control) on that.
NHL referees can be atrocious ... in no way better than the others ...

Look USA - Russia ; head referee American. Highly disturbing. You see Quick moving the cage ... goal canceled !

Or it is organised in case of goal ... very disturbing.
Or it isn't planed ... but the door is opened for speculation. Loss of trust.

(i just saw on Russian TV an analysis on what happened during this game ... very disturbing and head referee Brad Meyer from US ... It really is disturbing. Meaning that you must have faith ... not to fall into the conspiracy theory ... )

I am financial analyst and watch news appearing minute by minute ... i saw soo many news being transformed during the day ... i know their is manipulation at this level. I always imagined that sport was out of reach of all that.
But after all : "give games to the folks and make them believe " was the moto of the Roman Emperors.

You are a financial analyst. That's why you can't fathom people not being corrupt.
I know that you are used to people having no morals what so ever, but guess what. Not everybody are like the financial sector.

The referees FOLLOWED THE RULE in that cancelled goal. Just STOP it!

Only ONE of the refs were north American as far as I remember....How did they fix the entire thing?

Your assumption ... right ?

very much disagree with you. Lower a bit your opinion on yourself ... you are human ...like the rest of the world ;-)

HAhahahahahhaha!

You just wrote and long post with several massive conspiracies and you claim that he is assuming things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad