Blue Jays Discussion: Almost through the off-season - Bautista keeping his bat-flipping talents in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Assuming Shapiro and Atkins do the same thing as last year and try and improve the bullpen through early season deals, the only thing we'll probably see before Spring Training is a LF brought in.

Even then, the chances of that are probably lower than 10%.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
All indications are they will bring in a lefty for the pen before the season. Would likely be one of Logan, Blevins or Howell.

Shapiro did say a few weeks ago that the team would look very different from then to Spring Training. Since then the Jays have added Bautista and Saltalamacchia.

I think they make at least 2 bullpen additions and maybe an upgrade in LF before ST. And a bunch of minor league deals.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
All things being equal, he'll get the spot thanks to his contract.

And if all things are equal, there's no problem with that.

If someone clearly deserves the spot more than him, the contract won't prevent that player from taking the spot.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
All indications are they will bring in a lefty for the pen before the season. Would likely be one of Logan, Blevins or Howell.

Shapiro did say a few weeks ago that the team would look very different from then to Spring Training. Since then the Jays have added Bautista and Saltalamacchia.

I think they make at least 2 bullpen additions and maybe an upgrade in LF before ST. And a bunch of minor league deals.

I think they only need one reliever (along with the obvious minor league depth). If they add a lefty, they can go with Osuna, Biagini, Grilli, Sparkman, Bolsinger, new lefty, Loup. I don't have a problem with that at all. And Barnes and Tepera would still be in Buffalo as depth along with the rest of the minor league contract guys.

If they can bring in someone else reliable, though, I would probably take the opportunity to start the season with Biagini stretching out in Buffalo. There are a lot of interesting options right now.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

If someone clearly deserves the spot more than him, the contract won't prevent that player from taking the spot.

If 1.2M or whatever is stopping you from giving someone else more deserving of a roster spot, you have bigger problems imo.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I disagree. It gives him first dibs. And a lengthy dibs most likely. The money is irrelevant really - 1mil or 4mil it's the same hurdle in the end.

He's a replacement player who should be earning every day he plays in the majors.

Disagree. Carrera is an ideal 4th OF. Adds a bit of speed and defense and even a little pop. Can't ignore either how he stepped up in the postseason when called on. Should be able to fill in competently at all OF positions.

Sure you don't want him playing every day, but he can certainly contribute in a p/t role. And for your 4th OF you dont want a guy where it would be better for him to be getting regular ABs at MiLB level. Also don't want a guy who will come in rusty or be a malcontent on the bench. Zeke checks a lot of boxes for the job and is cheap.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Disagree. Carrera is an ideal 4th OF. Adds a bit of speed and defense and even a little pop. Can't ignore either how he stepped up in the postseason when called on. Should be able to fill in competently at all OF positions.

Sure you don't want him playing every day, but he can certainly contribute in a p/t role. And for your 4th OF you dont want a guy where it would be better for him to be getting regular ABs at MiLB level. Also don't want a guy who will come in rusty or be a malcontent on the bench. Zeke checks a lot of boxes for the job and is cheap.

If they had three regular outfielders, then I would agree that he's a good option as the fourth. But they don't. They have two regulars and one (Upton) who needs someone to platoon with. And Zeke doesn't fit the platoon that they're looking for.

To me, they have three options:

1. Get a platoon OF and move Carrera.
2. Get a full-time OF and move one of Carrera/Upton.
3. Let Pompey have the job with on of Carrera/Upton as the backup and move the other.

Carrera/Upton doesn't make much sense in any scenario, and I really hope it's not on the table.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

i disagree - his guaranteed contract will give him an undeserved advantage in any roster decision.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

I don’t think there's anything ideal about him - imo he has upside to be worthwhile but should not be handed playing time.

ideal 4th OFs are better than him, offensively and defensively.

He's a guy i like having in the mix, not a guy i like handing a roster spot to.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
If 1.2M or whatever is stopping you from giving someone else more deserving of a roster spot, you have bigger problems imo.

it's not the money, it's the chance of losing the asset on waivers.

even if he's a slightly worse option, from an asset management point of view it still might make more sense to keep him up instead of risking losing the depth.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sanchez on the cover of the Canadian version of MLB The Show. Only other pitcher that has been featured on a/the cover is Wei Yin Chen on the Taiwanese cover for the last 5 years.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

toronto – as the toronto blue jays continue exploring the market for left-handed relievers, veteran southpaw craig breslow has emerged on their radar, according to an industry source.

The sides have been in touch in recent days and, as rob bradford of weei first reported, the blue jays were among the teams in attendance when breslow worked out for scouts monday.

like jarrod saltalamacchia, who agreed to a minor-league deal with the blue jays tuesday, breslow played on the 2013 red sox team that won the world series. Ben cherington, the gm of that red sox team, now works for the blue jays as their vice president of baseball operations.

along with breslow, the market features some higher-profile left-handed options. Jerry blevins, an excellent fit on paper, remains in contact with the blue jays, according to a source. beyond that there’s travis wood, who’s believed to be seeking a starting job, and boone logan. While blevins and logan seem well-positioned to land multi-year deals, breslow would be available more affordably on a one-year contract or perhaps a minor-league deal with incentives.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Apart from lefty relievers, the more I examine the bullpen arms in the Blue Jays' depth chart the more comforted I am that the team will cobble together a competent if not above average bullpen this season. There are many reasonable possibilities to fill out the bullpen on the 40 man roster.

I see an offense that should be above average and a bullpen that will eventually be average once the hot arms are identified. The defense should be above average again. The starting staff was arguably the team's biggest strength in 2016. Can it be that again in 2017? Can Happ and Estrada have at least 80% of the years they had in 2016 to keep the starting staff as that strength? That's going to be the key. Looks like a formula for another playoff berth to me.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Assuming Shapiro and Atkins do the same thing as last year and try and improve the bullpen through early season deals, the only thing we'll probably see before Spring Training is a LF brought in.

Even then, the chances of that are probably lower than 10%.

Who will fill LF void, my bet is Orestes Minoso. You won't find many as capable as Minny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad