Blue Jays Discussion: Almost through the off-season - Bautista keeping his bat-flipping talents in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Apparently, the Jays and white sox are talking about Robertson. Exactly what I thought would be a great target weeks ago. Hiccup being that they aren't in a rush to move him with the assumption they could cash in on him at the deadline which is probably true. As long as the price isn't stupid I'd be happy

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
apparently, the jays and white sox are talking about robertson. Exactly what i thought would be a great target weeks ago. Hiccup being that they aren't in a rush to move him with the assumption they could cash in on him at the deadline which is probably true. As long as the price isn't stupid i'd be happy

8. david robertson, rhp, white sox — robertson is more than available, but the white sox want a good haul for him. At worst, the white sox believe robertson will have a lot of value at the trade deadline, or if a team’s closer goes down. the white sox and blue jays have had discussions this offseason, and the yankees have at least thought about it, but new york is unwilling to give up the quality prospects the white sox want. at some point, robertson will be in greater demand.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Apparently, the Jays and white sox are talking about Robertson. Exactly what I thought would be a great target weeks ago. Hiccup being that they aren't in a rush to move him with the assumption they could cash in on him at the deadline which is probably true. As long as the price isn't stupid I'd be happy

Do we have enough cash to trade for him with only prospect capital and still sign a decent LH option though?

Mad Brills*

Yeah, I'd assume robertson is either traded with money eaten for good prospects, or less at full value

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I would have expected Senzel or Robles as the 2018 #1 prediction.

yeah #1 in a year is a little optimistic. He responded to an earlier comment saying top 10 was "very possible" next year. I think the #1 thing was more of a outside the box who could really have an outstanding year and challenge for that spot that you probably wouldn't have in the running right now.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Do we have enough cash to trade for him with only prospect capital and still sign a decent LH option though?

Well they did say rogers gave Shapiro more money to bring back Jose. So if that's true we could add Robertson and Blevins which would make our pen insane. Maybe we could talk the sox into taking smoak in return to give us an extra 4 million. That was my solve in an earlier proposal

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Cafardo is obsessed with getting clicks from Jays fans. I wouldn't believe a thing he says.

Yeah, he routinely just lists teams as "suitors" that have a hole at the position a player plays, regardless of whether or not that player would be a fit.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Steal. Moss and Upton would have been a great platoon in LF and insurance in the corners when Baustista plays 1st.

Making 3M-4M next season and 8M-9M in 2018.

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I wasn't 100% sold on Moss, but that looks like a really nice deal for KC. I would have been happy with that for the Jays.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Bruce at 13M for 1 year or Moss at 12M for 2.

Mets really regret picking up that option.

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
If we're showing interest in Robertson, I wonder if it might make sense to expand the talks to include bringing back Melky as well.

If we were able to land Blevins/Boone/Breslow, and trade a couple prospects for Robertson and Melky (assuming we paid full value on their contracts, to keep the prospect cost down somewhat), I think we'd be in pretty great shape heading into spring training.

2B) Travis - R
LF) Cabrera - S
3B) Donaldson - R
RF) Bautista - R
DH) Morales - S
SS) Tulowitzki - R *** I think he hits his stride again this season and puts up huge numbers
C) Martin - R
1B) Pearce - R
CF) Pillar - R

Bench
OF) Upton - R
UT) Barney - R
1B) Smoak - S
C) Saltalamacchia - S

*Carrera passes through waivers and goes to AAA, or we trade/lose him.. No biggie.

1) Sanchez - R
2) Happ - L
3) Estrada - R
4) Stroman - R
5) Liriano - L

CL) Osuna - R
SU) Robertson - R
SU) Grilli - R
LS) Blevins/Boone/Breslow- L
MID) Barnes - R
MID) Loup - L
LNG) Biagini - R (used in more of a key role, providing length in close games)

Extras with a shot: Tepera, Floyd, Bolsinger, Dermody, Girodo, Oberholtzer, Sparkman*Rule 5 guy

We look pretty deadly with that lineup, and Robertson and Blevins/Boone/Breslow would really solidify the pen. If Rogers is willing to bust out the wallet for those three, and the prospect capital wasn't too painful to move, I would love to see this as the capstone to the offseason!

Thoughts?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Friendly reminder that Brandon Moss is Justin Smoak that plays a mediocre LF

Moss has put up 9.2 career fWAR includign seasons over 1 fWAR 4 times, and over 2 fWAR 3 times. Smoak has put up 0.3 career fWAR and never more than 1 in a season.

They're both the same if your only measurement is K rate sure. But Moss is better, mainly from his power.

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Moss's 2016 was a fluke, rapidly declining ISO's every year from 2012-2015, consistently awful contact scores for the past three years etc

Smoak (2015-2016): .222/.306/.430, .320 wOBA, 99 wRC+
Moss (2015-2016): .226/.302/.443, .318 wOBA, 98 wRC+

KC is paying for his dead cat bounce season. That contract will be worse than Smoak's and Moss won't be playable by August.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If we're showing interest in Robertson, I wonder if it might make sense to expand the talks to include bringing back Melky as well.

If we were able to land Blevins/Boone/Breslow, and trade a couple prospects for Robertson and Melky (assuming we paid full value on their contracts, to keep the prospect cost down somewhat), I think we'd be in pretty great shape heading into spring training.

2B) Travis - R
LF) Cabrera - S
3B) Donaldson - R
RF) Bautista - R
DH) Morales - S
SS) Tulowitzki - R *** I think he hits his stride again this season and puts up huge numbers
C) Martin - R
1B) Pearce - R
CF) Pillar - R

Bench
OF) Upton - R
UT) Barney - R
1B) Smoak - S
C) Saltalamacchia - S

*Carrera passes through waivers and goes to AAA, or we trade/lose him.. No biggie.

1) Sanchez - R
2) Happ - L
3) Estrada - R
4) Stroman - R
5) Liriano - L

CL) Osuna - R
SU) Robertson - R
SU) Grilli - R
LS) Blevins/Boone/Breslow- L
MID) Barnes - R
MID) Loup - L
LNG) Biagini - R (used in more of a key role, providing length in close games)

Extras with a shot: Tepera, Floyd, Bolsinger, Dermody, Girodo, Oberholtzer, Sparkman*Rule 5 guy

We look pretty deadly with that lineup, and Robertson and Blevins/Boone/Breslow would really solidify the pen. If Rogers is willing to bust out the wallet for those three, and the prospect capital wasn't too painful to move, I would love to see this as the capstone to the offseason!

Thoughts?

Too much money, too many futures. Plus the Jays don't need another outfielder when they already have two of Carrera, Upton Jr. and Pompey (among longer shots) fighting for that spot. I'm not entirely sure on the platoon, but I'm pretty sure Upton Jr. or Carrera combined with Pompey would work well. At the very least, they should start the season with 2 of those guys and trade the other (especially if Carrera or Upton Jr. loses out).

I'd be shocked if the Jays do anything more than bring in a good LHP. Maybe an outside chance they bring in another good bull pen guy if he comes cheap, but most likely the Jays will just make the last three spots a competition between the 20 potential options they already have. If the initial three don't pan out, then there is another guy ready to take over his spot. And if it becomes a real problem and the Jays are still in contention, then they'll just pull another Feldman, Grilli or Benoit deal. Same with the outfield when they brought Upton into the mix.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
They should still be looking to replace Carrera. I like Pompey a lot, but after his 2016 season it would probably be best for everyone to start him in Buffalo.

Pagan would be nice fit as a stop-gap to Pompey/Alford. Switch-hitter, better against righties, some speed, decent defense if you keep him out of CF, likely only getting a one year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->